Skip to main content

Poll

The users need to increase the site's pages in a browser?

Yes.
No.
I did not think about that.
May be.
Why do it?
Topic: Zoom Page and Fix-to-width in Otter no Opera-like features (Read 6492 times)

Zoom Page and Fix-to-width in Otter no Opera-like features

Zoom Page show only 300% (in Opera 1000%), but can over 1000%... if Otter reloaded maximum page width only 300%...
Fix to width feature does not exist...

Re: Zoom Page and Fix-to-width in Otter no Opera-like features

Reply #1
In Preferences > Content it's limited as low as 250%. I agree that this should be higher because something like 180% to 200% is simply the desired default display size on my UHD monitor. (On the flipside because you see more detail there's less desire to zoom in — I don't think I ever really do anymore.)

Reply #2
I sometimes use 400-450% (reading large texts regularly), but except at the Opera is not possible anywhere else... I do not use it on all pages, but for some great texts that I read from a distance from the screen. It is very convenient and this feature is only in Opera.

Otter saves the zoom setting pages for each tab - it's great (other browsers (Mozilla, Chrome) save settings for each site, and not for the tab, and it is very uncomfortable when I change the zoom on one page and it will automatically change to another page of this site in another tab), but setting a maximum of 300% after restarting the browser removes the place where I had read before, if I put 500% manually.

Fix to width this is a great feature when the text pages at the zoom of 450% expanded horizontally (and it is impossible to read the text), this function places the text within the browser window. Also the only feature of the Opera.

Reply #3
I sometimes use 400-450% (reading large texts regularly), but except at the Opera is not possible anywhere else... I do not use it on all pages, but for some great texts that I read from a distance from the screen. It is very convenient and this feature is only in Opera.

It's also really annoying in e.g. the Evince PDF reader, where zoom is limited to 400%. When you use e.g. "fit to width" in that program, it's very clear that it can actually go much higher than that.

Fix to width this is a great feature when the text pages at the zoom of 450% expanded horizontally (and it is impossible to read the text), this function places the text within the browser window. Also the only feature of the Opera.

Something vaguely similar seems to have been implemented in Opera/Blink Mobile, in that it makes sure columns of text fit on your cellphone screen. Perhaps that can be used to our advantage someday.

Reply #4
Good. Thank you for your browser. Even now - this is the most customizable browser after the Opera. I'll wait . Good luck!!!

Reply #5
@B.X, I've increased that limit from Preferences to 1000%, that should be more than enough for most cases.
Perhaps it could be possible to modify zoom slider to let it set higher value than 300% by detecting that user still tries to drag handle even after reaching the end of the slider.
Another idea is to let to increase / decrease zoom by 100% when using Shift modifier while clicking zoom buttons.

Fit to width is harder, but could be more or less doable using some heuristics and JS.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #6
Emdek, Thank you. This is good news. Otter could replace the Opera is almost 100%.
Firefox have the good extension that allows you to adjust the zoom pages as needed. Adjust view, behavior, and other things. Custom Zoom Level - it's cool feature. If you do something like this in your browser, it will be even better.
https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/zoom-page

About Fix to width...
Chrome have the user script Force Wrap, which does the same thing as the Opera Fix to width...
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1847 - but the link is not available...
Code: [Select]

// ==UserScript==
// @name          Force Wrap
// @namespace     http://zoolcar9.lhukie.net/mozilla/userscripts/
// @include       *
// @exclude       http://mail.google.com/*
// @description      Wrap text automatically. Based on Jesse Rudderman's Force Wrap bookmarklet (http://xrl.us/hsn3)
// ==/UserScript==

/*
Changelog:
- 20060109:
   replaced innerHTML with insertBefore. Thanks to Jim Roberts
- 20060515:
   replaced Jim’s codes with codes from MR Tech Link Wrapper
   to fix regression in Firefox 2.0/3.0 dev builds.
*/

function F(n) {
  var u, r, c, x;
  if(n.nodeType == 3) {
    u = n.data.search(/\S{30}/);
    if(u >= 0) {
      r = n.splitText(u + 30);
      n.parentNode.insertBefore(document.createElement('WBR'), r);
    }
  } else if(n.tagName != 'STYLE' && n.tagName != 'SCRIPT' && n.tagName != 'PRE') {
    for (c = 0; x = n.childNodes[c]; ++c) {
      F(x);
    }
  }
}

F(document.body);
//document.body.parentNode.insertBefore(document.body, document.body);

// Coded added to fix regression is Firefox 2.0/3.0 dev builds
// Ripped from MR Tech Link Wrapper 2.0.2
var thisE = document.body;
var p = thisE.parentNode;
var n = thisE.nextSibling;
p.removeChild(thisE);
p.insertBefore(thisE, n);

Reply #7
@B.X, remember that we are planning to support extensions at some point, while user scripts might become available quite soon (at least in basic form), so such details would be doable without hardcoding all of them in application (of course that doesn't mean that there will be no new built-in options, simply not everything will need to be in binary form ;-)).

Reply #8
Yes, I know that, but this is the basic thing, zooming pages and comfortable reading should be built into the browser (of course, a good thing that there are extensions, but they do not always work properly). Yes, I understand that not everything can be implemented now, but hopefully in the future it will be possible.

Reply #9
Again 300% - this is the maximum.
I added a poll. That's interesting, this function is anyone need?

Reply #10
About fix-to-width: As far as I know, Opera didn't have a plain file or script that would have let the user tweak the functionality of fix-to-width. The ability to tweak it would be very much welcome.

About Zoom Page: Not sure why there should be a limit to it. Any page will go caca at overzooming, but different pages have a different zoom-to-caca threshold and the user should be able to have fun experimenting with this.

Reply #11
About Zoom Page: Not sure why there should be a limit to it.

Memory constraints may play a role there, although obviously on the 32GB RAM computer I'm using right now a rather negligible role. There's also the GUI issue: a slider that goes up to 10000% will be nigh unusable for little tangible improvement. That being said, I think 1000% makes for a more intuitive soft-limit.

Reply #12

In Preferences > Content it's limited as low as 250%. I agree that this should be higher because something like 180% to 200% is simply the desired default display size on my UHD monitor. (On the flipside because you see more detail there's less desire to zoom in — I don't think I ever really do anymore.)

I use everything from 150% to 200% already on my 1600x1200. If I get an UHD monitor at any point, I'll need 400% for some websites for sure.

Most programs and websites are configured by default for font sizes that are way too small. https://medium.com/@martinpielot/what-is-the-optimal-font-size-for-the-body-of-websites-1093ca7bf9f0#.j4x44rs8o

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/10/16-pixels-body-copy-anything-less-costly-mistake/

Reply #13
I sometimes use zoom > 300% when doing online banking or double-checking hard-to-read columns of figures. I think giving the user the option to zoom in that much makes sense, cause, you never know.

Reply #14
If Otter wants to be like the Opera, then instead of the only slider there should be this too:

Reply #15
@B.X, there is no point in duplicating every feature, plus you can achieve similar effect using existing customization features.