Skip to main content
Topic: HTML-5 Support? (Read 4525 times)

HTML-5 Support?

Okay, so I just discovered this browser, and it was going really awesomely, until I tried to open YouTube D:

I love being able to automatically browse in private, to have 50 tabs open without crashing and to have a cute otter on my taskbar, but it's already driving me nuts having to switch back to Chrome every time I play a YouTube video, or anything else HTML-5 related.

I know it's not in line with the whole "classic" thing, but surely the interface and lightweightness of Otter Browser wouldn't be affected by adding HTML-5 support. You could reach a much wider audience and there's really no downsides except the time taken to work on it, which I'm sure is more than worth it for a feature at the very heart of the modern internet.

Please? ???

Re: HTML-5 Support?

Reply #1
Does your system have the relevant codecs installed (e.g. WebM)? On my system it works fine with OGV and WebM, but apparently I'm currently missing a relevant video codec (H.264, I presume) in such a way that Otter can use it and I get only audio. Here are the links I used to test:

http://www.html5bydemo.com/#!VIDEO_OGV
http://www.html5bydemo.com/#!VIDEO_WEBM
http://www.html5bydemo.com/#!VIDEO_MP4

Back about a decade ago, the CCCP was a pretty decent way to get all the codecs you needed for MPC (Media Player Classic), but I understand MPC has come with integrated codecs since about the time I stopped using Windows. In any case, it you install that (be sure to install codecs only) and it still doesn't work then there's a problem that should be investigated. ;)

Reply #2
Thanks for the help. I went to those websites in Otter Browser and clicked the play buttons but nothing happened, however a tick was displaying in the heading. So I'm not sure if that means it worked or it didn't?

When I went save as I got the video files to play in VLC on my computer but I assumed that would work anyway since it works in Chrome and Firefox.

Also I tried Dailymotion in Otter Browser and that worked completely fine. So it just dislikes YouTube for some reason.

Sorry if I'm being dumb and missing something lol.

Does your system have the relevant codecs installed (e.g. WebM)? On my system it works fine with OGV and WebM, but apparently I'm currently missing a relevant video codec (H.264, I presume) in such a way that Otter can use it and I get only audio. Here are the links I used to test:

http://www.html5bydemo.com/#!VIDEO_OGV
http://www.html5bydemo.com/#!VIDEO_WEBM
http://www.html5bydemo.com/#!VIDEO_MP4

Back about a decade ago, the CCCP was a pretty decent way to get all the codecs you needed for MPC (Media Player Classic), but I understand MPC has come with integrated codecs since about the time I stopped using Windows. In any case, it you install that (be sure to install codecs only) and it still doesn't work then there's a problem that should be investigated. ;)

Reply #3
Thanks for the help. I went to those websites in Otter Browser and clicked the play buttons but nothing happened, however a tick was displaying in the heading. So I'm not sure if that means it worked or it didn't?

You mean after installing e.g. CCCP? VLC ships with its own codecs. In any case, no video means it didn't work. Just try it in Chrome or Firefox to see what it looks like.

Reply #4
Weekly #95 will contain some extra DLLs that should help with video and audio playback under Windows.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #5
Both before and after installing CCCP, nothing seemed to change unfortunately :c

You mean after installing e.g. CCCP? VLC ships with its own codecs. In any case, no video means it didn't work. Just try it in Chrome or Firefox to see what it looks like.

Thanks :3 I'll set the browser to automatically update and see if it helps once it comes out.

Weekly #95 will contain some extra DLLs that should help with video and audio playback under Windows.

Reply #6
This issue could be related to the engine.

Unfortunately the guys at Otter do not have the manpower to make their own engine yet, so they are just reusing the webkit/blink engine that is in QT. And youtube is confirmed to have many bugs in QT's Webkit, however it is hoped that by transitioning to the newer blink engine those will be fixed, because blink is co-developed by Google(the owner of Youtube), Opera and many others.

Reply #7

blink is co-developed by Google(the owner of Youtube), Opera and many others.

Blink is not co-developed by Google. Blink is developed by Google. Opera and "some others" are allowed to contribute. About how and what gets implemented, Google has the saying. Google is the one defining the party policy.

Reply #8
Just like most open source projects with a maintainer.

Reply #9

Thanks for this enhancement in the recent version!
Otter is now much more usable for video sites. However, there are still some movies, which aren't working well (or sometimes playing the sound only etc.).
Are there some options to correct or workaround this? - Be it by locally installing some needed codecs etc., changing some settings in Otter, or somehow check the offending files and report some relevant features (filetype, codec, compression ...?) , so that some additional helper files can be bundled in future Otter builds (if it is feasible, of course)?

regards,
   vbr

Reply #10
@vbr, the only way to fix it seems to be trying to install some codecs.
QtWebEngine doesn't rely on system codecs, this both good and bad, the bad thing is that I'm not yet sure that we will be able to redistribute variant that contains patented codecs, due to legal reasons.
In theory it would be possible to replace them with ones taken from installation of Chrome, but it would be for sure inconvenient...

Reply #12
In theory it would be possible to replace them with ones taken from installation of Chrome, but it would be for sure inconvenient...

I would love to know how to do that cause i have to use highly customized windows installations that neither have any kind of  codecs in them, or can be installed.

Reply #13
@dim, it's no longer possible, now the only option is to recompile entire QtWebEngine...
But since then QtWebKit (standard packages) began using Media Foundation under Windows which means proprietary codecs for free, especially under Windows 10.