Skip to main content
Topic: i3 GUI? (Read 3637 times)

i3 GUI?

How well does Otter work with the i3 GUI for Linux?

Re: i3 GUI?

Reply #1
i3wm is a tiling wm, correct? I imagine no better or worse than any other Qt application?

Reply #2
yes, it is a tiling wm.

Reply #3
I've been using Otter with i3wm for the past four months. Otter works just fine, precisely as when you resize it in a stacking window manager.

Reply #4
cool. I am also writing this now from otter-on i3.
I am totally new to i3 and it has caveats. I guess it won't work until I rice it up.

Reply #5
Manjaro i3 edition has very sane defaults out of the box. In fact so much so that I replaced my preferred Openbox installation with this i3 edition. Then I installed Openbox on top of it, restored my Openbox configs and now I am using both window managers in turns as I feel like it.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVCQtoQdHlM[/video]

There's a newer design out after this video. The conky is different and dmenu has been greatly improved. 

A year ago Otter used to have a glitch under Openbox, but this was removed as soon as I brought it up. In addition to Openbox and i3wm, I have tried out Otter under Xfce, KDE, Cinnamon, and Mate. Works perfectly.

Reply #6
I am using it on top of normal Ubuntu. I have installed it side by side with Unity.
I have 3 sound devices, so how do I pick the one I want and unmute it?

Reply #7
I don't know what kind of sound control Ubuntu comes with these days, but I've been very satisfied with PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) ever since I discovered it. Much more so than with any of the more simplified controls.

Reply #8
Code: [Select]
unity-control-center sound

Does the trick.

Reply #9
Does it reinvent the wheel or does it link to something else? pavucontrol long predates Unity. I assume it's about as old as PA itself.

Reply #10
It just calls the usual GUI that unity uses for sound control.

Reply #11
So it reinvents the wheel then. Well, I hope for their sake they could at least reuse some code from something.

Reply #12
I split up the post about the Windows 7 classic theme here.