Skip to main content
Topic: Open-access Linguistics (Read 13255 times)

Open-access Linguistics

Five journals will start publishing their articles through http://www.lingoa.eu/

Free science. w00t! Anyway, this stuff was financed with public money, so I think it's only right that the public should have easy access.

Re: Open-access Linguistics

Reply #1
Free science. w00t! Anyway, this stuff was financed with public money, so I think it's only right that the public should have easy access.
I entirely agree! Except for weapons research, all government-financed research should be open-access… No more Secret Society Science! :)
But now I have to follow your link…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #2
…did so… I should have known, you're an early-adopter! (Heck, you'd probably see your image in a zygote! :) ) But I'd like my government to chip in some bucks, too! It's a worthwhile project; there should be many more like it.
(I guess you know what I think of the current state of "peer review" in the major (Do we still call them "Prestigious"? :) ) journals. Well, then let's close the parens…)

[I specially liked this Q & A:
"If this initiative is feasible in the field of linguistics, is there any reason why it should not work in other disciplines too? Why does it appear to work particularly well for linguistics?"

Linguistics is a relatively small and tightly organised discipline. Typically, linguists are highly opinionated people and prefer to set their own course….] :)
进行 ...

Reply #3
Free science?

can i also  submit a theory as dissertation ?

Reply #4
(I guess you know what I think of the current state of "peer review" in the major (Do we still call them "Prestigious"?  :)  ) journals. Well, then let's close the parens…)

Oh, it's definitely broken. Not so much in principle, but because of the demands that are made in practice. Especially the publication pressure is in conflict with what's implied by the words alma mater.

can i also  submit a theory as dissertation ?

You've always been able to submit material to these journals.

Reply #5
Publication pressure in the academic work is excessive, IMHO. I worked in that environment for a while and it seemed that one's very survival depended on it. Not just, I should say, in academic universities but in other organisations which need to show what they are dlong, even if no-one knows what they are writing about. Often it is the key to getting yet more funding.

Sometimes one simply has no choice. but to publish.

The annoying thing is that I reckon that of those that demanded the paper few actually read the result.

Reply #6
I worked in that environment for a while and it seemed that one's very survival depended on it.

It's certainly one of the reasons that I'm hesitant to pursue a PhD. That being said, I should probably put a little more pressure on myself to actually finish one article and submit it to a prestigious journal. So I'm signing off for now, perhaps for the day. ;)

Reply #7
The world is upside down, northerner barbarians that confuses gargle with proper languages, posts about a "free journal"  about linguistic, a free journal where the first article is from a "Portuguese Journal of Linguistics"  that no one here has ever heard about...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #8
northerner barbarians that confuses gargle with proper languages
:) "Proper"?! You confuse linguistics with self-justification… (Which is likely a psychiatric disorder.) Why should others speak the way you do?
I'll repeat a remark I made long ago (back in my early days at MyOpera…): We have yet to find a single example of what could be called a "primitive" human language. That still seems to be the case.
(If you know differently, Bel, please enlighten us!)

You do know what the likely result is, of in-breeding? :)
进行 ...

Reply #9
On "gargle", do you know how to pronounce the Dutch word "Graag", FTL?

On primitive language - I'm  sure I read some of that on this forum just now.

Reply #10

I worked in that environment for a while and it seemed that one's very survival depended on it.

It's certainly one of the reasons that I'm hesitant to pursue a PhD. That being said, I should probably put a little more pressure on myself to actually finish one article and submit it to a prestigious journal. So I'm signing off for now, perhaps for the day. ;)

A PhD will open doors you didn't  know were there and it will teach something about yourself you didn't know you had to learn. The first 2 or 3 papers write themselves and then you can go off stage left through one of those doors or none of them because you can choose.

Go for it Frenzie!

Reply #11
For none of the reasons String mentions, I'd agree with his advice… :)
进行 ...

Reply #12
On "gargle", do you know how to pronounce the Dutch word "Graag", FTL?

There are at least two correct pronunciations based on whether you say /ɣ/ and /x/ (Northern Dutch) or /ʝ/ and /ç/ (Southern Dutch) — many more if you count the dozen different varieties of /r/.

For none of the reasons String mentions, I'd agree with his advice…  :)

:lol:

Reply #13
a PHD .

so what Theory will you make as dissertation ?

Reply #14
A PhD will open doors you didn't  know were there

Yes indeed and that's the reason why we should have a thread about the fraud the teaching system is and always was.
From the times of the earlier Universities until our days it always has been a disgrace.

L'Académie stinks.

P.S. re-reading my post about barbarians & gargle I notice that it could be considered a little bit offensive for Frenzie. Was not my intention.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #15
:)  "Proper"?! You confuse linguistics with self-justification… (Which is likely a psychiatric disorder.) Why should others speak the way you do?

By close reasons why Heidegger said that one could only think in German... (he just was wrong choosing that particular language, not the reasoning.)
And my psychiatric order is fine, thank you. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #16

a PHD .

I'm not sure I understand the question, but my academic passion lies in applying new technology to Middle Dutch literature. I hardly have a subject at the moment, let alone an actual doctoral proposal. The article I'm somehow failing to write is a slight reworking and minor extension of my thesis, but perhaps the failure is rather an indication that I need a little time off from what has been a major component of my life this past year.

Reply #17

a PHD .

I'm not sure I understand the question, but my academic passion lies in applying new technology to Middle Dutch literature. I hardly have a subject at the moment, let alone an actual doctoral proposal. The article I'm somehow failing to write is a slight reworking and minor extension of my thesis, but perhaps the failure is rather an indication that I need a little time off from what has been a major component of my life this past year.

To be sure there is no misunderstanding, does that mean that doing this forum is taking up so much of your time that it is damaging your prospects, and that you'd like at least a break from it, maybe even stop it?

Your future is more important than our "gargling" (copyright bel) so don't hesitate to say exactly what you want.

All the best

Reply #18
Nah, if anything I'd need a break from capitalism. Forever. :P The mods make sure the forum stays spam-free, so besides occasionally applying a security update (I think there've been a grand total of 4 since we started) what you see me post is pretty much all the time I spend here atm, give or take a little depending on how much I glance at or read.

Reply #19
the last exam of PHD is to  make a new theory ( make a Scientific Journal ) .
Cmiiw .

and Afaik , not all New Theory is Worldwidely accepted .

notsure too about that , since there is no PHD in my country .
but in here , PHD is equal with S3 / Doctoral .

Reply #20
[…] if anything I'd need a break from capitalism
:) In some ways, it's a hindrance — not to have been born rich!
进行 ...

Reply #21

the last exam of PHD is to  make a new theory ( make a Scientific Journal ) .
Cmiiw .

and Afaik , not all New Theory is Worldwidely accepted .

notsure too about that , since there is no PHD in my country .
but in here , PHD is equal with S3 / Doctoral .

It varies, not just between countries but also between Universities and within those between Departments. So it would be a rare person who could even start to generalise. Some have exams and coursework as part of the process, some rely on examination by academics of standing of the work that's been done and the student is largely left to find his own path with occasional advice from his supervisor. The ability to do that is, actually, part of what one learns.

Reply #23
An interesting thing about medieval linguistics I know that all of you were desiring to know about, is that medieval Portuguese and French were much more alike than they are today.
:)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #24
I suppose you mean the fact that French spelling stabilized around that time, while all of those silent consonants were still pronounced, making it easier to read e.g. Chrétien de Troyes than Chaucer or Willem?

I'd also add this little fact about Galicia: "Au point de vue historique, le galicien […] parlé en Galice en Espagne […] est une variante du portugais" (Eugeen Roegiest 2009, Vers les sources des langues romanes, p. 239).