Skip to main content

Poll

What connection(s) do you use to reach the Internet?

Local net/cable basically.
[ 5 ] (100%)
Mobile internet.
[ 0 ] (0%)
Satellite dish/cup/bowl.
[ 0 ] (0%)
WiFi is implanted in my brains!8)
[ 0 ] (0%)
No idea, just switch the device on and here I am! :cool:
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Topic: What's your Net? (Read 14354 times)

Re: What's your Net?

Reply #1
I've got a cable, and tomorrow I'm to pay my first rental fee. The other - still undead, but not undead enough - as if pervider, having stolen a good bit of my money paid, has proven being a piece of shit (some prefer "Scheiße").

Reply #2
ADSL but it's not on your list.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #6
What a hell is that at all?

Asymmetric digital subscriber line
I think "local net" is supposed to cover that,

Hmm! Maybe, wouldn't describe that as local net myself though.
Who uses telephone lines these days!?

Most of the UK for starters.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #7
Anyway, I seem to have meant the structural type of connection - not the protocol, which are many. Are they?

Reply #9
Cable here means fibre optics.

Reply #13
So what do you call coaxial cable? In the case of both *DSL and coaxial cable the backbone is mostly fiber optics; it's just the last mile (or few hundred meters) that's over the existing infrastructure. Fiber optics has really nothing to do with any old infrastructure at all, regardless whether it's being planted by a telephony or cable company.

Reply #15
What we call cable here is only supplied by one provider and that's mostly in the big city's and they provide cable TV, telephone and internet all in one package. The rest of us are stuck on BT's decrepit old copper wire lines (even they have started fibre optics in some areas though). And yes coaxial cable is a cable but not in the same sense as describing our internet connection, not here any ways.

Reply #20
In the big city's what?

You're being pedantic again. 

Nice smilies!
Your own set?

Just a bunch of them accumulated over the years from different sources.
My modem syncs at 70 Mbit on Belgacom's decrepit old copper wires, and I'm fairly certain it could do more

I average about 7.15 Mb/s but I'm lucky as I'm close to the exchange, during peak times that can drop drastically though.  Most folk I know are struggling to get above 1Mb/s at the best of times. If they achive the dizzy heights of 2Mb/s they have a party as they think it's their birthday.

Reply #21
I had 2 Mb/s on ADSL at the end, although it started out at 6 MB/s. Somehow the interference must've increased. However, in the Netherlands VDSL doesn't often go over 20 MB/s or so because the connections go all the way to the telephony exchange, while here in Belgium they've extended the fiber to the street boxes.

2 Mb/s isn't that bad; it's mainly frustrating that they make you pay just as much as people who get 21 Mb/s (which you get with ADSL2+ if you live really, really close to the exchange). For that matter I'd gladly pay the same for lower speed and higher volume, or even slightly less for lower speed and the same volume. Oh well.

Reply #24
2 Mb/s isn't that bad;

Maybe if it was a constant 2 Mb/s it wouldn't be and I doubt no one would complain if it was. But round here you would be lucky if you were able to get a fifth of that once peak time started which I think is from 6 pm onwards. The very time most people would be using it.

it's mainly frustrating that they make you pay just as much as people who get 21 Mb/s (which you get with ADSL2+ if you live really, really close to the exchange).

I agree, It would be much fairer on people if you paid for the speeds you are getting rather than the potential maximum speed connection. Can't see the ISP's being in favour of that one though.