Skip to main content
Topic: wait , what ? ... Create a Star in Earth ? (Read 2219 times)

wait , what ? ... Create a Star in Earth ?

National Ignition Facility .

is that really happening ?  :o

Create an artificial <Sun> using Lasers + nuke ?    ???

https://lasers.llnl.gov/

Re: wait , what ? ... Create a Star in Earth ?

Reply #1
While the link was no good, it seems that you have taken technology marketing speech a tad too literally. People can speak of creating conditions like in the Sun (temperature, pressure, matter...), that doesn't mean they are creating a sun. For one thing that would require far more material than the whole planet could provide.

Reply #2
I believe it might be about this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24429621
Harnessing fusion - the process that powers the Sun - could provide an unlimited and cheap source of energy.

Fusion has, of course, been just around the corner for decades now. But if this isn't overhyped, it could be extremely interesting.

Reply #3
The initial link worked for me. This is from The Telegraph.

While it has seemed an impossible goal for nearly 100 years, scientists now believe that they are on brink of cracking one of the biggest problems in physics by harnessing the power of nuclear fusion, the reaction that burns at the heart of the sun.
In the spring, a team will begin attempts to ignite a tiny man-made star inside a laboratory and trigger a thermonuclear reaction.
Its goal is to generate temperatures of more than 100 million degrees Celsius and pressures billions of times higher than those found anywhere else on earth, from a speck of fuel little bigger than a pinhead. If successful, the experiment will mark the first step towards building a practical nuclear fusion power station and a source of almost limitless energy.

I'm working on a black hole generator. If I stop posting, you'll know why.

Reply #4
i figure that's something like in --> SPider Man 2 .

where Doctor Octopus Using  a Sun Generator to Create a Mini Sun .