Skip to main content
Topic: Opinions needed please! (Read 3597 times)

Opinions needed please!

So yeah, my IPhone 4s is on it's last stand, and I am looking to upgrade.
I do not and will not do a contract with any company, so my next phone will be paid for outright rather than payment plans.

So my question is this; were you all in my situation, which IPhone would you go with? The 6, 6+, or 6s?

Thank you for your opines in advance.

Re: Opinions needed please!

Reply #2
My number one candidate for a new phone is the current Jolla — unfortunately it's aging, but on the plus side that means it's not too expensive. My wife obtained one several months ago and it's quite nice. I wish there were more Sailfish OS phones to choose from.

As for the iPhone, only you know your size preferences. Apple claims the new CPU is a lot faster, so if the price difference between the 6 and the 6S isn't too large I'd go for the latter. As for the 6+, for me the extra size isn't worth the money, but the increased sharpness might be. In the end, however, € 639 for the cheapest, space-limited option is probably already more than twice what I'd consider paying for a phone. By comparison, the Jolla phone is € 249.

As a disclaimer, I severely dislike how standard phone features like Bluetooth file transfer don't work on iPhone. I'd probably never buy one in spite of Apple's understanding that GUIs need to be responsive. Add the price and there's a million things I'd rather do for a few hundred Euros. Like buying a new bike, a new computer (motherboard + CPU + RAM) or a plane ticket. :P

Reply #3
Thanks @Frenzie

@Ersi: Well, I've always had one, and have a ton of songs in my Itunes library. Never have been a big fan of android or the Samsung variety.

I am open to suggestions though, and will be researching this Jolla phone Frenzie is talking about.

To add to the discussion, my provider is Straight Talk, so all I do is remove the SIM and replace it with Straight Talk's sim.
For US mobile markets, it is a bargain at $45 for Unlimited Talk, Text, and 5 GB of data.

Reply #4
I am open to suggestions though, and will be researching this Jolla phone Frenzie is talking about.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if it's available in America, and keep in mind its hardware is definitely inferior to the latest iPhones. It might be worth keeping in mind that Jolla, Blackberry, and I believe nowadays even Windows Phone can run Android apps. But these things are very personal. What annoys me about iPhone probably doesn't annoy you, but like I said even if I wanted an iPhone I'd think twice about it because of the price.

To add to the discussion, my provider is Straight Talk, so all I do is remove the SIM and replace it with Straight Talk's sim.

I think most people in Europe (or at least around the Benelux) go for SIM-only.

Reply #5
@Ersi: Well, I've always had one, and have a ton of songs in my Itunes library. Never have been a big fan of android or the Samsung variety.

Do you have any substantial critique of Samsung? If I considered spending an iPhone worth of money, I would precisely target the currently awesomest Galaxy. Unless your circle of friends frowns upon such...

Personally my phone choices have been rather moderate. The current phone I have was a free offer years ago and I see no reason to switch yet.

I think most people in Europe (or at least around the Benelux) go for SIM-only.

I think here, too, about half of the population keep grabbing one-time SIM's, same as they keep adding SMS loans upon SMS loans. Not my kind of choices.

Reply #6
Do you have any substantial critique of Samsung? If I considered spending an iPhone worth of money, I would precisely target the currently awesomest Galaxy. Unless your circle of friends frowns upon such...

The Samsung phones always feel kind of cheap to me, even the most expensive ones. I'd pick e.g. the nicest Sony or the HTC One M9 instead, although I'm kind of done with Android, especially its lack of updates across manufacturers. The best practical choice is probably one of those Nexus devices or something that comes with Cyanogen OS by default. Really, this is a major argument in favor of not only Jolla, Blackberry, and Windows Phone, but also in favor of iPhone.

I think here, too, about half of the population keep grabbing one-time SIM's, same as they keep adding SMS loans upon SMS loans. Not my kind of choices.

One-time SIMs? I've had my SIM-only subscription since '09 and given my use I usually pay less than €5/month. If/when I switch, I'll go with Mobile Vikings instead. My cellphone is mostly an e-mail client over wifi.

Reply #7

The Samsung phones always feel kind of cheap to me, even the most expensive ones. I'd pick e.g. the nicest Sony or the HTC One M9 instead, although I'm kind of done with Android, especially its lack of updates across manufacturers. The best practical choice is probably one of those Nexus devices or something that comes with Cyanogen OS by default. Really, this is a major argument in favor of not only Jolla, Blackberry, and Windows Phone, but also in favor of iPhone.

Mnyah. It shows that I have not been following up on the trends. When/If I buy a new phone, I will probably simply grab the next free offer. I get those because I am a major client for my provider. I have seven numbers in my name.

One-time SIMs? I've had my SIM-only subscription since '09 and given my use I usually pay less than €5/month.

This is what I meant by "one-time SIM" (I think). Since it's not the choice that would be of any use for me, I don't even properly know the name of it.

If/when I switch, I'll go with Mobile Vikings instead. My cellphone is mostly an e-mail client over wifi.

Also in my own case, the major function of my phone is to do internet for my computer. For about a year or two when I got the phone, I tried my best to make maximal use of the phone as a productive environment (skype, irc, emailing, text editors, copy-pasting-downloading from internet,...), but I found it eventually inadequate. A computer, at least of netbook kind (NOT a tablet!), is an inevitability. Since I have a proper portable computer, my phone is basically just a pocket watch these days, and an internet wire for the computer.

Reply #8
This is what I meant by "one-time SIM" (I think). Since it's not the choice that would be of any use for me, I don't even properly know the name of it.

You mean prepaid? I have a subscription; it's just that the base monthly rate is €0. They no longer offer it and they keep telling me how much money I'll save by switching to their €10/month subscription instead. My communication is primarily e-mail, and voice is primarily Skype. Phone use is incidental.

Also in my own case, the major function of my phone is to do internet for my computer. For about a year or two when I got the phone, I tried my best to make maximal use of the phone as a productive environment (skype, irc, emailing, text editors, copy-pasting-downloading from internet,...), but I found it eventually inadequate. A computer, at least of netbook kind (NOT a tablet!), is an inevitability. Since I have a proper portable computer, my phone is basically just a pocket watch these days, and an internet wire for the computer.

You do a lot of work on the train or something? But yes, I'd just as lief go without my phone (and just a watch) if that weren't an impossibility. It's main use is as a remote for VLC, an electronic calendar, a pocket watch, and to read/delete/possibly reply to some e-mails in some otherwise lost moments. But I'm looking into using it to get rid of some customer cards as well.

Reply #9

You mean prepaid? I have a subscription; it's just that the base monthly rate is €0.

Yes, there's a difference between prepaid and 0-rate subscription :) So many options that I can't recall them properly.

The payment plan I have for my seven packaged numbers, it has a base rate, but allegedly the base rate money also pays for the phone calls and text messages to that extent, while phone calls between the seven numbers are supposedly free, so in principle it should be possible for me to make phone calls and pay only the base rate. This system is confusing and uncontrollable, so I have no idea, and of course my real bills are more than the base rate.

Internet is an additional subscription on top of the phone call subscription. Only one number has internet. I still have an old internet plan that allows for unlimited volume. Such internet plans are not offered anymore.

You do a lot of work on the train or something?

Yes. It's great to get some work done by the time I reach the office. For a few years now trains have wifi too, which is great. The phone internet is useful at home where I have no other internet.

It would be easier to make recommendations to Colonel if his ways of usage were known.