Skip to main content
Topic: Yetimologies... ;) (Read 10976 times)

Re: Yetimologies... ;)

Reply #1
Huh? What?
I'm guessing that "Yetimologies" is a play on the word "etymology"

Cool I can dig that.
Alphabetically or in any order?
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #3
A
Apple (fruit)
The fruit directly acquired its name due to the resemblance of its shape to the well-known Macintosh trademark symbol - especially when it (fruit) was first tested (teethed, then observed against daylight).
When the company's founder was still alive, there were rumours about possible legal charges against the scientists who discovered the fruit and named it, but no confirmations had ever been obtained...
So... Well, enjoy the fruit - if you like - free of royalty:beer:

Reply #4
C

Condense - A not very bright jail inmate.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #5
Politician - someone who works all the angles.

Reply #7
school
Derived from 's cool, a failed marketing campaign to make educational facilities more attractive to youngsters.

Reply #8
Lux, con+dense or what?

Just condense (keeping it simple).

Reply #10
I don't know whether this qualifies as a Sasquatch study (Yetimology), but I came across this Acronym just today and liked it:

PICNIC ::::::: Problem In Chair Not in Computer.

Reply #13
O'k,
The topic is about as if etymologies of the words...

Mod edit: Please don't post in caps.

Reply #14
Stop shouting.

Did you work out rustic yet?

Reply #15
Well, guys, the topic is not about INVENTING WORDS, but about suggesting awesome/funny/gross etymologies and/or definitions of the existing ones.
"Condense" is an adjective, Lux.
NOTE! The more serious you are, the more entertaining your results are going to become. It is A Major Humour Law.

Etymologies

Reply #16
On a serious note,
Quote from: etymonline; edited
cactus (n.)
c.1600, from Latin cactus "cardoon", from Greek kaktos, name of a type of prickly plant of Sicily (the Spanish artichoke), perhaps of pre-Hellenic origin. Modern meaning is 18c., because Linnaeus gave the name to a group of plants he thought were related to this but are not.
Poor cacti! :(

Reply #18
Misconception (biology) -- an occurence of missing the point (esp. mating, the male's failure to deliver the fluids - to the point...) ::)

Reply #19
It's occurred that I looked at Liverpool's name guessing what it originates from. My raw hypothesis was that it was a pool filled with liver. I happened to be PARTIALLY right:
Quote from: etymonline; edited
Liverpool [abbr=Look up Liverpool at Dictionary.com][/abbr]
English city on the River Mersey, Liuerpul (c.1190) "Pool with Muddy Water", from Old English lifer "thick, clotted water" + pol (see pool (n.1)). "The original reference was to a pool or tidal creek now filled up into which two streams drained" [Victor Watts, "Cambridge Dictionary of English Place-Names", 2004]. The adjective and noun Liverpudlian (with jocular substitution of puddle for pool) is attested from 1833.
:)

Reply #20
horticulture

As in You can lead a (w)hore to culture, but you can't make her partake.

Reply #21
dragoon

A stupid man dressed like a woman.

Reply #22
levitate

A Jew named Tate.

Reply #23
testicle

A short quiz.