Skip to main content
Topic: Move Navigation Bar (Read 3859 times)

Move Navigation Bar

Is there a way to move the navigation bar or move a bar beneath it.

I would like to have (in order):-
Tab Bar
Navigation Bar
Bookmarks Bar

Whenever I try and move a bar beneath the Navigation Bar I get a Red Circle with a line though it and the Navigation Bar itself has no grippers to move it.

I know I can do this with a customized toolbar that I make to look like the Navigation bar but then you run into the problem of Otter not remembering its toolbar positions and randomly re-arranging them.

Re: Move Navigation Bar

Reply #1

I would like to have (in order):-
Tab Bar
Navigation Bar
Bookmarks Bar

So would I. Looks like the preset Navigation Bar is fixed to its position and no toolbar can be created immediately below it.

I tried to edit toolBars.json but this has no effect on the position of Navigation Bar. There's a line in toolBars.json that says
Code: [Select]

"row": 0,

but it appears to mean the number of rows to which a single toolbar can be wrapped.

It would be great to have a line in toolBars.json that designates the position of the toolbar. Something like
Code: [Select]

"buttonStyle": "iconOnly",
        "identifier": "TabBar",
        "location": "top1",

Menu bar would be "top0", next toolbar below it "top1", etc.

Not sure why Navigation Bar is not draggable the way other toolbars are. There must be something special about it.

Reply #2
@Kurt, you can create new global bar and configure it to have the same items like navigation bar.

@ersi, it's the only toolbar that belongs to tab (or subwindow), we could allow to drag it out (by copying it and hiding original one) but allowing to set more toolbars per tab doesn't make much sense, as each tab has own instances of them.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #3

@ersi, it's the only toolbar that belongs to tab (or subwindow), we could allow to drag it out (by copying it and hiding original one) but allowing to set more toolbars per tab doesn't make much sense, as each tab has own instances of them.

I see. In that case, it should be a more sensible solution to permit creation of bookmarks bar as a toolbar that belongs to tab. If the user wants a bookmarks bar below navigation bar, then bookmarks bar is created as a toolbar that belongs to tab. Does this sound possible?

Reply #4

@Kurt, you can create new global bar and configure it to have the same items like navigation bar.

I believe I mentioned that in my orginal post

I know I can do this with a customized toolbar that I make to look like the Navigation bar but then you run into the problem of Otter not remembering its toolbar positions and randomly re-arranging them.

But as stated until otter remembers the layout of its toolbars its pointless as all the toolbars tend to go back to their orginal positions.

Reply #5
@ersi, it could be achieved but it doesn't make sense as it would lead to waste of memory as it would need to be duplicated for every tab. ;-)

@Kurt, could you please attach contents of toolBar.json that causes issues?

BTW, since weekly #90 it is now possible to get profile path using --report parameter (it prints out diagnostic report which also contains paths to important directories / files).

Reply #6

@ersi, it could be achieved but it doesn't make sense as it would lead to waste of memory as it would need to be duplicated for every tab. ;-)

Waste of memory? Navigation bar needs to be duplicated for every tab, right? So, does every new tab significantly increase memory usage already so that another such toolbar would be untenable?

BTW, since weekly #90 it is now possible to get profile path using --report parameter (it prints out diagnostic report which also contains paths to important directories / files).

Is this parameter reflected in the man page? (Not sure if it properly belongs there, but looks like it should.)

Reply #7
Waste of memory? Navigation bar needs to be duplicated for every tab, right? So, does every new tab significantly increase memory usage already so that another such toolbar would be untenable?

Measuring that could be interesting.
For sure it would become more noticeable with huge amount of tabs, although it is very small comparing to usage of memory by rendering engine.
Note that it would be also waste of space when tiling tabs.
Plus would require making incompatible changes in configuration...

Well, allowing to drag and drop navigation bar out of the subwindow area in transparent way seems to be the best solution.
It could be later discussed again if it makes sense to allow to create toolbars per subwindow.

Is this parameter reflected in the man page? (Not sure if it properly belongs there, but looks like it should.)

Right, I've forgotten about that.

Reply #8

Note that it would be also waste of space when tiling tabs.

Yes, I see that even with Navigation Bar alone.

Is there a way to get actions to hide and toggle specific toolbars? In case of Navigation Bar, which is a per-tab toolbar, I of course expect the action to hide it in all tabs, not just in the focused tab, but still only in the focused window. Seems it can get messy, but this is how Opera worked...

Maybe actions to toggle/hide each global toolbar, while per-tab toolbars have a single toggle to hide them all?

Well, allowing to drag and drop navigation bar out of the subwindow area in transparent way seems to be the best solution.

Well, let's take the ordinary situation where the user has one maximised tab open. There's Menubar, Tabbar, and Navigation Bar. Drag Navigation Bar out of the subwindow area, but drop where?

Reply #10
Is there a way to get actions to hide and toggle specific toolbars? In case of Navigation Bar, which is a per-tab toolbar, I of course expect the action to hide it in all tabs, not just in the focused tab, but still only in the focused window. Seems it can get messy, but this is how Opera worked...

Maybe actions to toggle/hide each global toolbar, while per-tab toolbars have a single toggle to hide them all?

No, currently these actions are not exposed to actions system (as most of these actions are dynamic).
This looks like a good topic for extensions.

Drag Navigation Bar out of the subwindow area, but drop where?

In the same places like ordinary toolbars, although there would be need to properly detect cancellation, so user won't end up with global toolbar by accident.

Is this related to the (in)ability to expose toolbars in each tab?

Nope, this special toolbar belongs to WebContentsWidget and it might have issues with positioning when using MDI, I need to investigate it.