Skip to main content
Topic: Beta 7 release (01-09-2015) (Read 16002 times)

Beta 7 release (01-09-2015)

Most important changes:

• added support for customizing context menu;

• added Opera notes import;

• added initial support for auto updates;

• added dialog allowing to decide what to do with downloaded file;

• MDI actions are now enabled by default;

• multiple fixes and improvements for MacOS X;

• allow to specify default arguments using arguments.txt;

• various minor fixes and improvements.

Known issues:

• under Windows downloading files might lead to crash;

• restoring existing session from previous releases might lead to non maximized tabs, you can use Maximize All to maximize them;

• older Qt versions might cause crashes while rendering tab thumbnails, as workaround you can set TabBar/EnablePreviews to false in about:config.

Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Re: Beta 7 release (01-09-2015)

Reply #1
Great stuff!

Reply #2
Wonderful, gratulations, but why the tar.bz2 file has ~27MB instead of ~2MB?

Reply #3
@Epic, sure, I'll push v2 as soon as I'll be able to fix that Windows crash.

@Kirilo, as noted on page, Windows binaries were not uploaded yet, I'll push them soon.

Reply #4
Yes, I'm talking about the source file (I'm on Linux and compile from source), until now the sorce files with tar.bz2 compression had about 1.8MB, now the Beta7 has 26.8MB (but the zip only 3MB), what has happened?

Reply #6
Ah, OK, I'll remove this.
Sorry, I can compile things, but I don't really know how it works and what I'm doing.  ;)

Reply #7
Oops, sorry, fixed.

Reply #8
Binary packages for Windows are now available (I'm planning to add additional package for XP during weekend).
It seems that 32 bit packages for Qt 5.5 got silently updated recently, maybe that will help with that downloads issue, if not then I'll continue investigating it when I'll be back home (Saturday).

Reply #9
I downloaded it from OpenSUSE repo: http://software.opensuse.org/package/otter-browser -> KDE:Unstable:Extra.
It is working fine now. Testing  :)

EDIT:
- Youtube fullscreen is not working
- when I deleted duck search engine, otter stopped searching when I was typing search string in address field - helped when I change DefaultSearchEngine to "google" in advanced configuration

Reply #10
Trying the browser on Windows for a second, I noticed that:

• I downloaded the 64-bit version, but it wanted to install to Program files (x86).
  • My system language is detected as Dutch, even though it's English. Region != language.

But I guess you're probably aware of all that. In any case, it's not terribly important seeing how the program itself works fine. :)

Reply #11
spiegel.de - in idle state Firefox and Opera/Presto, both with scripting disabled have 0% impact on CPU workload while Otter-beta7/Win7 has 6%.

screenshot

Edit:
The results for the browsers are as in the screenshot above, also with scripting enabled.
----------------
Since Otter is the browser controlled by the user :)  - are more granulated options in "about:config" planned for the future?
(e.g. for persistent storage, Shared Workers, Prefetch, SPDY)

Reply #12
Whoa, the Spiegel site gobbles up about all of one of my cores with JS enabled regardless the browser.  :o

Reply #13
When I'm selecting 'spiegel.de' in the message above, clicking right button and then clicking 'Open Link', Otter opens two tabs.

Also Otter crashes when I'm trying to download PHP 5.4 from his official site.

But the new beta seems much faster than the previous. Nice!

Reply #14
For me otter-browser-git_0.9.99~git20150904+r6~ubuntu15.04.1_amd64.deb and 20150903 don't work at all. They simply don't connect to anything. This frequently happened with otter-browser_0.9.07-dev84-1~vivid~ppa1_amd64.deb and always with the new git versions.

Reply #15

When I'm selecting 'spiegel.de' in the message above, clicking right button and then clicking 'Open Link', Otter opens two tabs.

I can't confirm here.

I assume it's because of the file extension. Maybe Otter is trying to open the file. It will probably crash for any .zip download or file extension it doesn't know yet. 
Edit:
Did test myself. The file download with Otter is broken. As far as I can see, it's a known bug.
Otter is promising but keep in mind that it's still in an early stage.

Reply #16

I can't confirm here.

Video sample.

Otter is promising but keep in mind that it's still in an early stage.

I'm not complaining, this was just a bugreport.

Reply #17

Video sample.

I believe you, it's just that I can't reproduce the issue.

I'm not complaining, this was just a bugreport.

It's OK. All I did want to say is that glitches und bugs are common at this stage. :)

And since we are at it - my scrollbar is freezing quite often. Sometimes the issue goes away after a time or I have to restart Otter. (Win7, Quad-Core CPU, 8GB RAM)
----------------

One question - since I don't know if it's a glitch or something I'm doing wrong.
I've set Otter to open at start a local HTML-file (Homepage).
That's how Otter is opening the file: screenshot
After that, I can maximize the window but in this case [F12] won't display the "Quick Pref" menu.
If I open the HTML-file through bookmarks, [F12] will work fine.

Reply #18

One question - since I don't know if it's a glitch or something I'm doing wrong.
I've set Otter to open at start a local HTML-file (Homepage).
That's how Otter is opening the file: screenshot

And you have MDI enabled? For me the same (or similar) issue appeared after switching on MDI.

MDI is great, but it should be able to maximize at startup and remember the state/size of tabs when Continue from last time is selected. I guess it already does the latter thing.

Reply #19

And you have MDI enabled? For me the same (or similar) issue appeared after switching on MDI.

I don't think so. I don't even know where to enable it from.

Reply #21
*coughs*
MDI actions are now enabled by default;

;)

You can use it by right-clicking on a tab and using the arrange menu. Like ersi said, this might be an MDI-related bug.

Reply #22

*coughs*
MDI actions are now enabled by default;

;)

The settings for those actions are not persistent.
I thought Ersi is speaking about a persistent setting for those actions (MDI).

You can use it by right-clicking on a tab and using the arrange menu.

The arrange menu doesn't help. As soon as I restart the browser, it starts as shown in my screenshot.
This bug should be easy to reproduce.

Reply #23
Cannot select a part of URL by click+drag in the address bar. When I start dragging, the whole URL is moving and shortcut icon appears near it.

Reply #24
Youtube fullscreen is not working

It works only for flash player, we will need to wait for more mature QtWebEngine.
when I deleted duck search engine, otter stopped searching when I was typing search string in address field - helped when I change DefaultSearchEngine to "google" in advanced configuration

I'll investigate this.
Since Otter is the browser controlled by the user  :)   - are more granulated options in "about:config" planned for the future?
(e.g. for persistent storage, Shared Workers, Prefetch, SPDY)

We can expose stuff that is exposed by backend, and it appears that Blink is going to remove more options than add...
Maybe Servo will be more suitable for power users. ;-)

Confirmed.

Most likely you are hitting known issue from the list, I'm still working on it.

@py-thon, any chance that you could try compiling against Qt 5.5.0 from SDK?

After that, I can maximize the window but in this case [F12] won't display the "Quick Pref" menu.

Odd, I can't reproduce that, maybe it's something Windows specific.

MDI is great, but it should be able to maximize at startup and remember the state/size of tabs when Continue from last time is selected. I guess it already does the latter thing.

Do you have that issue with this beta / master? Previously state of tabs wasn't saved when MDI wasn't enabled so they were restored without being maximized, tabs with delayed loading also had similar issue.
I can't remember it either right now, but the release notes for Beta 7 say: "MDI actions are now enabled by default."

Yeah, now there is no need to enable MDI in explicit way, workspace is created when it is needed.
Cannot select a part of URL by click+drag in the address bar. When I start dragging, the whole URL is moving and shortcut icon appears near it.

This one was already fixed and will go to v2 packages as soon as I'll solve that crash while downloading files.