Skip to main content
Topic: Europe's Migrant Crisis (Read 35205 times)

Re: Europe's Migrant Crisis

Reply #75
@Jax - ref my last post - do you know what China's approach to overseas aid might be?

Reply #76
It's more complicated than re-settling anyone who gets off a boat, it is also about the wider issues some of which I mentioned above, including for example providing support of one kind or another to enable countries to provide a stable and attractive place for their people to live.

We must not confuse things and even less as a way for getting excuses.
One thing is what to do whith those that are already here knocking at your door, that's what I speak about.
Another thing is what to do in order those that still remains there have what you say, the possiblity of living in their countires as they always done.

As for the second, it's very obvious that those already here are the consequence of what shouldn't had been done. Course the Atlantic is way too large for them to get to the main responsible's land.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #77

It's more complicated than re-settling anyone who gets off a boat, it is also about the wider issues some of which I mentioned above, including for example providing support of one kind or another to enable countries to provide a stable and attractive place for their people to live.

We must not confuse things and even less as a way for getting excuses.
One thing is what to do whith those that are already here knocking at your door, that's what I speak about.
Another thing is what to do in order those that still remains there have what you say, the possiblity of living in their countires as they always done.

As for the second, it's very obvious that those already here are the consequence of what shouldn't had been done. Course the Atlantic is way too large for them to get to the main responsible's land.

??? What confusion? All the aspect I've mentioned are linked, so ignoring the implications of the influence of one over the other.

Have as look at This Graphic. There you will see the top the league for accepting migrants is Sweden, and the success rate of applications to stay is the highest at 76.6%. Small wonder that migrants favour Sweden as a destination.

I don't see how many ultimately achieve residence in one country having been rejected by another (which would be interested to know).

I can't be bothered to research how many migrants are fleeing persecution/death, but I doubt it is 76.6%, and I also doubt that percentage is a consequence of western actions.

Reply #78
And so what? You speak about graphics, numbers and statistics, I speak about human beings.
Quote from: You know who

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

That's all that matters when the time comes. I consider these being one of such times. Entire families are drowning at our shores.

We must resist to use abstractions in order to distract us from our moral imperatives.
I'm very cathegoric on this matter.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #79
I'm very cathegoric on this matter.
Have you taken in any refugees — to your farm? :) Or have you expected your government to do so, on your behalf? :(
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #80
Have you taken in any refugees — to your farm?  :)

I work for people who have nothing and consider to do so to be something more rewarding and fulfilling than anything I've done before.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #81
Well i have in my non-work voluntary side done the same thing as Belfrager whilst my one reservation is that it does not mean an automatic open door on an island.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #82
The refugee crisis has led to an upsurge in volunteer support among most of Europe. In Germany a school class decided that they too wanted to help the refugees.

How was that reported in the UK?
(Huffington Post UK)

Reply #84

The refugee crisis has led to an upsurge in volunteer support among most of Europe.

And an upsurge of far right national sentiments in wide parts of same Europe.

I assume you're back from China.

Reply #85
Actually I am going to China in a couple days.

Usually cause is expected to precede effect. The upsurge in the nasty right in many parts in Europe happened before the dramatic increase of refugees going to the EU. Most nasty right groups have stagnated or had a decline the last few years, so, unless these groups somehow attracted the refugees to come to Europe or the refugees caused the groups to collapse, causation is dubious.

The latter actually has happened to some extent with the less-nasty, e.g. in Norway the right-wing party use anti-immigrant rhetoric to shore up votes come election time. Unfortunately for them it happened at a time when the national mood turned and the rhetoric backfired badly. But on the whole high or low immigration level is not directly related to the extreme right, though immigrants are great foils for arson and murder.

It could be some years from now, depending on how competently migration is handled. Syrians (and also Eritreans, Iraqi, Afghans) have made themselves a significant part of German and Scandinavian economy. Badly managed this will come at a damaging political and economic cost. Well-managed North Europe just got bigger.

Reply #86

Syrians (and also Eritreans, Iraqi, Afghans) have made themselves a significant part of German and Scandinavian economy.

I can't tell for Scandinavia but the above statement doesn't apply to Germany.
A few facts on the ground:
The average refugee is a male at age between 18-30.
More than 80% of them are unqualified, I mean without any professional training.
Those few which have a professional training, don't meet the standards required here.

Afirming that these people are or will be anytime soon a significant part of our economy is a huge stretch to say the least...
However, if by "significant part of economy" you mean huge expenses, than the statement is true.

Reply #87
Some might be interested in this foreigner's perspective on Pegida:

I was riding the U-bahn when I saw a couple of papers that had been left on the floor: there was a Pegida rally occurring here in Munich in a couple of days. Pegida (a German acronym for "Patriotische Europäer gegen die Islamisierung des Abendlandes," which translates to "Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the Occident") is a notorious protest group which was formed last year, and since then has been protesting... well... the Islamisation of the Occident. I didn't know much about them, and I suppose there wasn't much to know, really: they were, as far as I could tell, like pretty much any other group of Western people who were trying to preserve their cultural and ethnic heritage against the influx of foreigners streaming into their country. I knew, also, that they had received a lot of opposition from pretty much everyone: they are often compared to Nazis or labeled an "extreme right-wing" group, and I don't think I've ever met someone who actually voiced support for them, but I've seen plenty of people voice opposition to them.

I was curious enough that I ended up going to the rally. I'm not really the sort of person to get involved in political demonstrations or events, because I don't think that they do much good, and they serve more to disrupt the civil peace than anything else, but I'd never actually been to a genuine political rally, and I thought that since Germany is going through a historic moment with all the people flooding into it from the Middle East, now would be a good time to watch history unfolding as people react to the events happening around them.

[…]

I've only bothered to inform myself about this particular event through the French news:

Pour célébrer son premier anniversaire, le mouvement d’extrême droite Pegida (Patriotes européens contre l’islamisation de l’Occident), qui réunit ses partisans tous les lundis à Dresde (Saxe, est de l’Allemagne), avait promis, lundi 19 octobre, un rassemblement exceptionnel. Il le fut. Non en raison du nombre de participants – Pegida a déjà réuni davantage que les 15 000 à 18 000 personnes comptabilisées – mais en raison des propos qui y ont été tenus. L’invité vedette, Akif Pirinçci, un écrivain allemand d’origine turque a en effet regretté la disparition des camps nazis. Un délit passible, selon certains juristes, de trois à cinq ans de prison.

[…]

Reply #88
Akif Pirinçci is an asshole, maybe even an agent provocateur.
Aside of Pegida and far-right nationalists, the average citizen is worried and there are good reasons for it.
It's no wonder that Frau Merkel's approval rates are shrinking dramatically.

Reply #89
I have a feeling that many of these long columns are economic ones and what makes me sigh is that so many wave at the camera or smile as if they are something special. That places can be overflowed or not be able to cope with them matters not a jot as if it is some deeply embedded right. The EEC is a damnable mess of a thing and neither do you have to be away out on the would-be far right stuff we get hit with on the news to object. The EU is a mess, is financially a shambles and corrupt as hell and time the thing collapsed.

Reply #91
Yep.

Reply #92
Yep.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #93
That lies in their culture.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKv6o7YqHnE[/video]

Reply #94
Better than Shakespeare. Almost, that is.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsXKT5RhJf8[/video]

Reply #95
The story of two wetsuits.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2y3Uspr8Bg[/video]

Reply #97
I grant you, the guy's routine is funny…

Two Arabs walk into a bar. One says to the other, "Have I got time for a drink?"
"I don't know," says the other: "Let me check my vest…"

Not so funny.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #98
It can be taken as a basically sad story but this an increasing trait on the media I am afraid. Time after time we got repeats of the policeman finding a dead bay on a beach people had landed on. There has also been other tales of individuals with a child or children the subtly trait being given that the main prooprtion of immigrants are children.

As for the Calais mess last month i came across a passing news item where a known British charity had retreated from the  Calaise involvement as they thought it was essentially people who were more economic than principally crowded with around 2 million under the last government. It is so easy to nurture the emotions already challenging matter of housing, education, health services, welfare et al. Space and cost are not persistent open doors. The south east of England needs a million new homes in the next decade, London's numbers ever enlarging as are other places. The pressure is there and subtly ignored by the overly emotional brigade minds.

It is also very clever how comments such as the value to countries - oh yeah? Our Welfare State is a big attraction and the cost mushrooming on health and money items. Neither can we keep a permanent open door because where are they going to live? Migrants tend to have big families and indeed give more births that the indigenous who decline in that sphere. We also get this modern stuff that some tradtions who settle here moan about not getting enough from the State or the country??Kind of almost laughable where in places the indigenous are rapidly becoming a minority (like London!) and so on. So it is one thing to help immigrants BUT there has to be a limit because of not hust the space but the sheer increasing cost of legions coming in.We have had over 350 incidents on suspected terror machiniations and not from the indigenous and the other night when i heard one fighter for the immigrants saying that they did not get enough from us I had to shake my dashed head.