Skip to main content
Topic: Fear of China (Read 5699 times)

Fear of China

Borrowed from http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/01/04/the-irrational-racist-fear-of-china/

But it is China, naturally, which is unacceptably endangering the European and North American’s inherited right, to reign over the world. Or to be precise, the ‘danger’ is shared among China, Russia and Latin America – three places that managed to wrestle themselves from Western shackles, and to embark on their own political, social, cultural and developmental paths.

I don't know how deep this fear goes, but suspect that Counterpunch has gotten it right.

What do you think?

Re: Fear of China

Reply #1
The anti-imperialist rhetoric was pretty thick, but sure sinophobia is real. Then again, only a couple  few decades ago Japan was the country to fear.

China, and also India will be the elephants in the room (or dragon and elephant if that image is preferred), with Indonesia, Malaysia, Indochina, Japan, Korea, and the rest.

Reply #3
I feel that there is something good to have close at hand.

Reply #4
Yes, spammer.ban.

Reply #5
The fuss about China is part of the usual mentalism of the ex-colonies leadership minds. Their country does think it has some kind of vague inherent right to rule, influence or invade. Several times it has sailed warships out to the Far east and that is just plain stupid. Incidents such as arguments over wee islands here or there are nothing to damn well do with the US and it's itchy naval trigger fingers.

And in any case considering that the US is in pawn to China financially the Chinese don't have to fire a gun and just shut down the US instead!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #6
And in any case considering that the US is in pawn to China financially the Chinese don't have to fire a gun and just shut down the US instead!

Absolutely. And they keep on discussing about their "sacred" Constitution.
Show the American Constitution to the Chinese to see if they care about it...

Never saw people with so much unawareness of reality around them. This is not normal, no it isn't.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #7
Yep a good point Belfrager. In America the "Constitution does little to secure rights and such. I would not be surpirsed if the Chinese kept a straight face while mentally laughing.It was reported the other day that the Chinese send a radio message warning US warships to keep away and how stupid can the US be? They rub people up (especially those they are in hawk to) and think they can get away with anything. One day it will go too far and there won't be any need to be concerned about internal problems but in a very disatrous way!

Reply #8
Fear of China?

Looks to me as though China is fearing George Soros.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/china-warns-soros-against-declaring-war-on-its-currency-2016-01-26

"Not long after billionaire George Soros forecast a so-called hard landing for the Chinese economy, Beijing fired back by calling out the high-profile investor, warning him of betting against its currency, according to media reports Tuesday.

“Soros’ challenge against the renminbi and Hong Kong dollar is unlikely to succeed, there is no doubt about that,” said a government official in an opinion piece widely cited by several media outlets.

The article headlined, ”Declaring war on China’s currency? Ha ha,” was published by the People’s Daily, the official newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party which is widely viewed as Beijing’s propaganda tool.

A translation of the Mandarin version of the editorial linked by ZeroHedge includes references to the U.S. suffering from a “Dutch disease” and “financial predators.”

Reports of the People’s Daily’s article follow Soros’ recent prediction that a precipitous slowdown in the Chinese economy is inevitable.

“A hard landing is practically unavoidable,” Soros told Bloomberg Television last week on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. “I’m not expecting it, I’m observing it,” he said, referencing his China outlook.

Soros’ ties to seismic currency bets date back to 1992 when he accurately wagered that the pound would fall in value, forcing the British government to withdraw the currency from the European exchange rate mechanism. He also successfully bet against the Thailand baht ahead of the Asian financial crisis in 1997, which pushed several Asian economies to brink of sovereign default.

Although Soros hasn’t directly threatened to bet against China’s yuan, his reputation as the investor who broke the Bank of England might have been enough to draw Beijing’s attention.

Soros has been vocal about China’s recent economic woes, going as far as to warn that global markets are headed for a crisis akin to 2008 as China scrambles to find a new growth model.

Beijing’s admonishment to Soros marks the latest effort by the Chinese government to crack down on those it views as speculators trying to upend its market.

Soros didn't respond to a request for comment via email and a call placed to China’s Ministry of Finance wasn’t answered.

The yuan USDCNY, -0.0015% which fell 4.7% in 2015, FactSet data show, is expected to slide further to 7 yuan versus the dollar by the end of the year from 6.58 currently on mounting worries about the Chinese economy, according to Deutsche Bank analysts.

Beijing authorities unexpectedly devalued the yuan in August in response to slumping exports and indicated that it would introduce further changes on how to value the currency against its peers which analysts believe will give the government more flexibility in gliding the yuan lower.

Worries about China have persisted into 2016, playing a key role in wiping out some $3 trillion in market cap in the first week of the year.

It isn’t just Soros expecting a rough patch for China. Most economists forecast China’s gross domestic product to grow in the 6%-range due to the country’s slowing manufacturing activity."

Reply #9
China is being getting the propaganda braining of late due to the increasing economic progress and that it will in due time overtake the world's leading imperialist country. Sending warships to the Far East does not help either over wee islands as an excuse.

Reply #10

China is being getting the propaganda braining of late due to the increasing economic progress and that it will in due time overtake the world's leading imperialist country. Sending warships to the Far East does not help either over wee islands as an excuse.

Keynesian economic policy on Chinese steroids may well fully engulf China before they overtake us on the projected 2050 timetable.

I might add that since you lot have nothing but a bunch of rock islands, the Falklands, and Gibraltar, Denmark is the de facto leading imperialist country, as they still retain Greenland in their empire.  :rolleyes:

Reply #11

Keynesian economic policy on Chinese steroids may well fully engulf China before they overtake us on the projected 2050 timetable.

I might add that since you lot have nothing but a bunch of rock islands, the Falklands, and Gibraltar, Denmark is the de facto leading imperialist country, as they still retain Greenland in their empire.  :rolleyes:

Ah, but we have a plot to take back America. The first stage is to get people to speak with a British Accent which is being achieved by flooding American films ( not films not movies) with British Actors. Trump is actually an escapee from one of our lunatic asylums.

Reply #12
Trump is actually an escapee from one of our lunatic asylums.
You can have him back… Please?! :)
(And tell Sweden where Bernie Sanders wandered off to?)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #13
Mind you string, I would like it more if we had less of all that American rubbish our tv buys in. Migh be cheap but groans the brain and cheap midden that spoils our culture.

Reply #14
I would like it more if we had less of all that American rubbish our tv buys in. Migh be cheap but groans the brain and cheap midden that spoils our culture.

The joy of TV is that you don't have to watch it if you don't want to. If it spoils your culture, it's because too many Brits are watching it. Why is that?

Public TV is alive with British shows, some of which are ok, others awful. My guess is that they come cheap. So far as I know, there are no British shows on the standard channels here, but there are some on pay channels, HBO (Home Box Office) being one.

For reasons I don't understand football (not American football) has become TV fare here. It's too foreign for my taste but youngsters are being introduced to it. Two of my grandsons are in leagues.

Most TV is by the braindead for the braindead.

Reply #15
Most TV is by the braindead for the braindead.
I agree… And I wholeheartedly accept your rational solution: Turn the damned thing off!
(I've often lived without a TV. It's not that difficult, if you like people…)

There are a few shows on currently that I watch. But I don't feel "obligated" to watch — nor, given the ease of on-demand viewing — put out, if I miss them. They're passtimes.
Usually, I have something to do. :)
进行 ...

Reply #16
Well you do have a degree of a good view on television jimbro. Apart from news and documentaries so much nowadays is an insilt to intelligence so it is also easy for the media moguls to infiltrate even the news! Bothe the BBC and Sky have these damn newspaper reviews when a link man will chat with 2 newspaper journalists and they are in practical terms infiltrating the actual news and many just accept that. Ridiculous.

As for Oakdale coming out with that keech on not watching tv (well so he says!) hiding in books can be just as bad as a gook watching every dashed thing on the box.

Reply #17

Ah, but we have a plot to take back America. The first stage is to get people to speak with a British Accent which is being achieved by flooding American films ( not films not movies) with British Actors. Trump is actually an escapee from one of our lunatic asylums.

It all makes sense now!  :lol:

Should have known as much, what with his mother being a Scot!  ( paging RJHowie  :devil: )

Reply #19
Although it may surprise some here, I'm on Apple's side on this one… But not because of "fear of China"! :)
进行 ...

Reply #20
How dare China think it has a right to challenge the Yanks who think the world is their oyster. When they have hundreds of military bases all over the globe like the lot who have those military places because the average Yank is brained that it is the old excuse word "security." After all we must realise the importance of the corporate military sector in the ex-colonies.  ???

Reply #21
Says the bloke who's empire was lost… :) Hubris, first; then envy! You're an odd lot, if you are an example, Howie. But I doubt you are: Could any great number of citizens -excuse me, I meant subjects!- be so ill-educated? :)
You must be exceptional, else your lot would never have accomplished anything…
进行 ...

Reply #22
No we gave our Empire up which is more than you are doing is it? You bribe, conjole or threaten places to be in your financial empire and any country that does not submit will be destablised and forced into you imperial set up.Why do you lot who are a highly strung, lot need to have hundreds of bases round the world? It is not really for that old childish guff about "security" but to ensure the corporate money people incomes. You are the present day imperialists and you are up to the ears in debt to maintain it.  Heavens, I thought you were a mental adult.

Reply #23
No we gave our Empire up […]
:) If you piss yourself, do you claim you just craved that "warm" feeling?
进行 ...

Reply #24
typical Yank who reads a book and thinks he is clever. Considering that your government is so concerned about the education system and it costs so damn much to be a student iun the land of the free and home of the brave you are funny at times.

You keep opening bases to maintain your financial controllers corporate income but have the nerve to point at places like China? Do something about you own internal affairs instead of interfering elsewhere as there are too many ex-colonists having a rough time. Instead you lot stir up Cold war stupidity and if you had sensible leadership who could probably balance things up for you a war with Russia or China you would not win. Those days are gone. so try stopping the money barons creating military situations so more money can be spent on armaments. Half the world's military bill?? How warped, imperialistic and damn wrong is that. Even more so when so many of your people are struggling in the country.