Skip to main content
Topic: What I need. (Read 19431 times)

Re: What I need.

Reply #50
Side tabs? What are these?

Basically the option to move the menu to where you desire

I doubt that barely anyone would like to move the location bar to the right or left so I recommend to be left apart when you move it

Reply #51
Basically the option to move the menu to where you desire

You can already move global toolbars (except menu bar)  to any edge, isn't that what are you looking for?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #53

it seems that you can't change the size, or am I ignoring something?

The size of what exactly?
You can change the icon size which sets the height of any *bar (right-click > Configure... > Icon size). Further configuration is expected to be available in the first stable release.

2 things I really miss

Reply #54
-Sidebar does not auto-close when opening a bookmark from the sidebar. There could be a button (on the top of the sidebar?) to switch the auto-close behavior on/off)

-When closing a tab, the one to the right should be activated, not the parent one. This lack doubles the click actions for me.

Reply #55
Sidebar does not auto-close when opening a bookmark from the sidebar. There could be a button (on the top of the sidebar?) to switch the auto-close behavior on/off)

I haven't heard about this workflow, is it supposed to work that way always?
When closing a tab, the one to the right should be activated, not the parent one. This lack doubles the click actions for me.

Right now it always switches to previously active tab, I'm planning to allow to specify behavior, but for now we are limited by offerings of QTabBar...

Reply #56
Not sure if this is the right place, but compared to a year ago, Otter is already my main browser. :-) The speed en relative small size, combined with the Opera-like interface and currently no obvious memory leaks, makes it a winner in my book (both Mozilla (Firefox/Iceweasel etc.) and later Opera versions had memory leaks when you closed tabs and especially web pages with lots of javascript (gmail and facebook, in my case), would sometimes over time use so much RAM that I had to kill it from the terminal to get my PC to respond again. I sometimes use Pale Moon for those website that require a more Mozilla-like browser or Tor Browser for my banking and other sensitive cases. I would like to be able to import my Opera sessions, though... no longer using Opera for anything much, but the ability to store and restore different sessions, is one of my favourite Opera features. It looks like Otter has the same feature working, but it would be nice if I could import my existing Opera sessions, like I can my Opera bookmarks.

Talking of Tor Browser (I know there used to be a portable app Tor Opera browser), it would be nice as an option if the private tabs had an option (in advanced preferences?) to use Tor instead of just locally deleting the history and clearing the cache.

Reply #57
Emdek, just a question. This is not a show stopper for me, but another nice to have... how easy/difficult is it implement the Opera "skins API" or something similar? Getting users to develop their own skins (and being able to download some nifty ones from some very artistic people) was a nice feature about Opera for me. However, I would not like it if it would make the browser slower or use too much extra RAM. I still remember the small and fast Opera from the 1990's. :-)

Reply #58
@Chavoux, there was some initial work on importing Opera sessions, but we want to cleanup generic mechanism first, before adding new importers.

If someone would be able to prepare support for TOR then we could consider it, but I'm not sure if it is doable, especially for backends other than QtWebKit...

Skinning is not easy thing to do, still needs some research:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/36

Right now you can use Qt stylesheets, like this:
https://github.com/mervick/Qt-Creator-Darcula

Just grab CSS file and select it in Advanced Preferences.
While extremely powerful it comes with a price, it's slower to render than native QStyle.

Reply #59

Tor Browser for my banking and other sensitive cases.

Purpose of Tor is to hide your identity.
Wonder how convenient it is to hide your identity from your banking site where you have to log in anyway.

Talking of Tor Browser (I know there used to be a portable app Tor Opera browser), it would be nice as an option if the private tabs had an option (in advanced preferences?) to use Tor instead of just locally deleting the history and clearing the cache.

I'm afraid there is a misconception about what a Tor Browser is.

It's nothing else than a bundle of a browser and Tor.
Only difference is that the respective browser is trimmed for privacy. Hence many default settings are modified.
That's also the reason why you can also download the expert bundle of Tor. This is only Tor (not bundled with a browser), assuming that the user is 'expert' enough to trim his browser's settings for privacy.

Basically you can use any browser that supports proxies and SOCKS with Tor. The two, are different software and independent to each other.
The browser will comunicate through a local port (it was set for) and Tor will listen on that port forwarding incoming and outgoing requests.

Speaking of browsers...
Lately browsers get 'enhanced' with tons of new features which are poison for privacy. Some of those features are praised as usability features, even so I can hardly see any relation to usability. Instead, many of those features can be used for tracking/fingerprinting.
If such obscure 'features' get implemented without the respective setting to turn it off, there is nothing even an 'expert' user can do about.

Reply #60
Lately browsers get 'enhanced' with tons of new features which are poison for privacy. Some of those features are praised as usability features, even so I can hardly see any relation to usability. Instead, many of those features can be used for tracking/fingerprinting.
If such obscure 'features' get implemented without the respective setting to turn it off, there is nothing even an 'expert' user can do about.

Indeed, but in most cases private mode is sufficient.
Also we have this ticket:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/27
But so far nobody worked on that...

Anyway, if SOCKS proxy is enough then it should be enough to create custom profile that sets it to use TOR and set it to permanently use private mode.

Reply #62
Hi Krake,
Purpose of Tor is to hide your identity.
Wonder how convenient it is to hide your identity from your banking site where you have to log in anyway.

The main reason I use TOR is not to hide my identity from the bank, but to hide the fact that I am connecting to my bank from the local network administrators (or whoever else on the LAN that could capture packets). In one of my previous jobs they installed some kind of spyware that tracks all web sites that you visit without telling us. If they are sneaky enough to do that, I do not trust them with knowing when I connect to my bank or any other confidential sites.

I realize that I can set up Otter to use TOR manually; I just thought it would be a nice touch to add it as default for private mode.
Basically you can use any browser that supports proxies and SOCKS with Tor. The two, are different software and independent to each other.
The browser will communicate through a local port (it was set for) and Tor will listen on that port forwarding incoming and outgoing requests.

OK, I just thought that the TOR port was a standard port, so on the browser side you would only have to set the browser to use that port when in private mode. But if I would need to set the local TOR port manually in any case, it doesn't make sense to have it as an automatic option for Otter. Thanks for the explanation.  :)