Skip to main content
Topic: What I need. (Read 19385 times)

Re: What I need.

Reply #25
What I'm missing from old Opera:
- left "window" opend when clicking on left browser border with RSS and download manager
- full support of standards (HTML5?)

What I'm not missing from old Opera:
- e-mail client - web e-mail clients now are so good (in example gmail) that there is no need of local software for this

What I like in Otter:
- when I use CTRL + TAB then bookmarks are sorted like in old Opera -> oldest opened are first - I love it!!!

Reply #26
left "window" opend when clicking on left browser border with RSS and download manager

You can show that toggle by enabling this option in about:config: Sidebar/ShowToggleEdge, although RSS listing won't be available until RSS client will be ready.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #27
>being able to skip and delete words using cntrl+arrows and cntrl+back
>being able to import from opera
>tab stacking pls
>there is no dictionary integrated of any language

Reply #29
>being able to skip and delete words using cntrl+arrows and cntrl+back

Damn, I thought that this one was already fixed.
>being able to import from opera

There are already numerous importers available, more to come.
>tab stacking pls

Should be ready before end of the year.
>there is no dictionary integrated of any language

Planned.

Reply #31
I'd like to ask for some more prominent documentation for the customisation features in OtterBrowser.
If i understand it correctly, there are currently several customisation features already available (besides the visible settings gui) - e.g. via json files for toolbars, possibly menus or context menus etc.
Is there maybe some API specification of the respective files, supported object or function names etc,?
I believe, it might be possible to infer something from the sources etc., but a more visible documentation of these features might be useful. or am i possibly missing some already available documents?

regards,
     vbr

Reply #32
Yes, there is some documentation.

You can customize toolbars, menus, etc. by creating .json files in your config directory. The default .json files can be found in the source code.

Reply #33
Thank you very much for the helpful references. The available customisation options seem to be even more powerful, than I expected in some aspects.
Now, I was trying to add an option to a link context menu to open the link in a private tab, but I can't find the respective  function item. Is there maybe something like OpenLinkInNew*Private*Tab (?) (possibly also with a private window as well as the background variants)?
thanks and regards,
                       vbr

Reply #34
.../config/menu/webWidget.json:
Code: [Select]

"type": "include",
            "includeIn": "link",
            "actions":
            [
[...]
"OpenLinkInNewPrivateTab",
"OpenLinkInNewPrivateTabBackground",
"OpenLinkInNewPrivateWindow",
"OpenLinkInNewPrivateWindowBackground",
[...]

But I'm not sure they are really working properly. I'll let Emdek provide a more authoritative answer.

Reply #35
Thanks for the promt response - the respective context menu items are added as expected - I can even see the correct translated versions in my localisation - however, the panes or windows don't really seem to be "private" - e.g. when used in this forum, my login credentials are kept. (On the other hand, if I create a new private pane and just copy and paste the address, I get the expected "Guest" login.)
Thanks again;
     vbr

Reply #36
Yes, I tried it on these forums and noticed that too. That's why I said I'm not sure they're working properly.
I've reported the issue here.

Reply #37
I need rss feeds. I notice the rss icon inside the adress field right now but don't know how to use it.
Also an integrated English corrector when typing would be nice.
Thanks
A matter of attitude.

Reply #38

I need rss feeds. I notice the rss icon inside the adress field right now but don't know how to use it.
Thanks

It's unformatted for now. For now it basically only shows that an RSS feed is there.

I'd like it to scan for RSS feeds from the same domain inside the webpage too, not only by looking for link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml".

Reply #39
I'd like it to scan for RSS feeds from the same domain inside the webpage too, not only by looking for link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml".

At the very least it also looks for Atom feeds. But what do you mean exactly?

Reply #40

At the very least it also looks for Atom feeds. But what do you mean exactly?

Sometimes the link to RSS feed is on the webpage (in the body), not as link rel in the head.

Anyway, I tried right now and it looks like it works already in Otter. Probably a property of the web engine. I think this is a proper test page, if I am seeing right view-source:http://sverigesradio.se/sida/default.aspx?programid=2358

Reply #41
That page contains what it should:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" href="http://api.sr.se/api/rss/program/2358?format=109" title="Prenumerera på Öppet API via RSS" />

I don't know how good of an idea it would be to scan the page for links that say something like "RSS" or "feed".

Reply #42

Both are planned and doable (although QtWebEngine doesn't support spell checking API yet).

@ersi, @Frenzie, we are using this rule to fetch links:
a[type="application/atom+xml"], a[type="application/rss+xml"], link[type="application/atom+xml"], link[type="application/rss+xml"]

Reply #43

That page contains what it should:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" href="http://api.sr.se/api/rss/program/2358?format=109" title="Prenumerera på Öppet API via RSS" />

Sorry. I am being increasingly too hasty and superficial in my technological routines. I have to pull myself together :(

I don't know how good of an idea it would be to scan the page for links that say something like "RSS" or "feed".

I understand it's not so simple. Now I took a look (hopefully accurately) at the link that I meant and it looks like

<a href="http://api.sr.se/api/rss/group/16907" class="prkbtn prkbtn--icon">

i.e. no clue what to grab from there. Simply rss would yield too many false positives. To look for more reliable indicators of RSS feeds would miss too many true positives. To implement a robot to verify all links to see if any of them returns an RSS feed would be both resource heavy and undesirable for other reasons. All these are worthless options.

I also took a look at how Mozilla does it, and I found that there are extensions to detect RSS links inside webpages, so apparently Mozilla actually doesn't do it out of the box, even though occasionally it seems to me that it does. Must be because I keep overlooking details.

My request was pointless. The current rule for RSS detection is okay. Sorry for bothering.

Reply #44
@ersi, @Frenzie, we are using this rule to fetch links:

That's pretty good, but note that it will miss out on feeds that are in the application/rdf+xml format. Also note that people can make mistakes and checking for e.g. a[type*=atom], a[type*=rss], a[type*=rdf], link[type*=atom], link[type*=rss], link[type*=rdf] could be an option. But I'd need a way to search e.g. Google by HTML to know that kind of thing for sure. In any case, application/rdf+xml should be added to the mix.

I also took a look at how Mozilla does it, and I found that there are extensions to detect RSS links inside webpages, so apparently Mozilla actually doesn't do it out of the box, even though occasionally it seems to me that it does. Must be because I keep overlooking details.

Firefox actually originated the newsfeed icon, but in the post-Firefox 4 world they decided it was much too useful to keep.

Reply #45
>Being able to tell where the music/sound/etc is playing

>Better default icons (my opinion. Don't know if someone else agrees with me)
>Being able to change the text rendering, not just the size

(I really don't like the looks of this)
>Sidetabs option

Reply #46

This is probably mostly a platform-integration issue. On my Linux, the majority of the icons is taken from my global icon theme. However, on Windows (especially 8 and 10, I suppose) they kind of stand out.

Text rendering is an OS thing. For Windows, try searching for "ClearType" in the start menu.

Reply #47

Text rendering is an OS thing. For Windows, try searching for "ClearType" in the start menu.

Hi, just to make sure, I am not missing something obvious - is there ClearType support in Otter, or can it be enabled in some way? It appears to me, this feature is not active (e.g. comparing to classic Opera or other applications that presumably utilise ClearType (this is on Win XP SP3 with ClearType enabled, using Otter - weekly 90). Thanks and regards,
vbr

Reply #48

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/967/2414302030.png
I don't know how much cleartype affects the browser but zooming, changing the font and size of the letters doesn't seem to help (to make the second page look better).
Is there an option I am unaware of?

EDIT: nvmd, I just needed to try more fonts. It looks good now:

Configuration (in case that someone wants it)

(It's in spanish but I doubt that the UI order is any different from the english one)

I guess that the only thing that I need now are better default fonts

Reply #49
>Being able to tell where the music/sound/etc is playing

We will expose it as soon as backend will support that, maybe QtWebEngine will have such ability in the future.

I guess that we could experiment with another source for icons, Oxygen is being replaced by Breeze anyway...

>Sidetabs option

Side tabs? What are these?

Hi, just to make sure, I am not missing something obvious - is there ClearType support in Otter, or can it be enabled in some way?

I've found this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2988449/does-qt-use-cleartype-for-rendering-text-in-windows

I guess that the only thing that I need now are better default fonts

Perhaps setting defaults depending on platform could be a good idea.