Skip to main content
Topic: Living in a Farm... (Read 26292 times)

Re: Living in a Farm...

Reply #75
Should the Russians, the Iranians and the Saudis be forced to drink their oil? Should the Chinese and Germans be forced to eat their coal?
Saudi Arabia depends on food imports, but where'd you get the notion that China, Germany or even Iran do? :P

Reply #76
Should the Russians, the Iranians and the Saudis be forced to drink their oil? Should the Chinese and Germans be forced to eat their coal?
Saudi Arabia depends on food imports, but where'd you get the notion that China, Germany or even Iran do? :P
Or Russians.

The thing is, he thinks that the rest of the world is parasitising on America by the very definition of America (as defined by Oakdale).  This is the only way his statements can make sense, if they are meant to make sense.

Reply #77
OK, Saudis and Germans are among your closest friends but since when do you worry about Russians, Chinese or Iranians?
I'm deeply touched by your humanitarian care for all people around the world. :)

Reply #78
I'm concerned for all the peoples of the world. But I'm responsible only for the well-being of those close to me… :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #79
But I'm responsible only for the well-being of those close to me...  :)
Very well, that will be the beginning of Oakdale's Farm, a most lovely place I imagine...
You certainly want to provide food sovereignty for those who you are responsible.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #80
Just like with the word "park", "farm" may have weird meanings in English. I have visited an alligator farm in Florida. It was a zoo.

And then there's the song Parchman Farm which appears to be about a prison. Overall, we miserly non-native-English-speakers can have no clue what associations Oakdale is having in mind...

Reply #81
I have visited an alligator farm in Florida. It was a zoo.
No wonder, everything seems to be a zoo over the Atlantic. That's their concept of society.
Overall, we miserly non-native-English-speakers can have no clue what associations Oakdale is having in mind...
Always the wrong ones... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #82
Very well, that will be the beginning of Oakdale's Farm, a most lovely place I imagine...
I'm not good at farming but two suggestions for Oakdale's farm came to my mind.
Some genetically modified seeds and a lot of glyphosate from Monsanto would be a good start. So he will reap at least the triple of what an old-fogyish peasant could ever reap. Not to mention that all will have their own part of profit. Monsanto, Oakdale and who knows, maybe even the family doctor. :)

Reply #83
I prefer Mayall's version, ersi. Parchman Farm is the Mississippi State Penitentiary.

Thanks for the "suggestions," Krake. But enough of my neighbors are farmers and ranchers… I can specialize! :)
进行 ...

Reply #84
I'm not good at farming but two suggestions for Oakdale's farm came to my mind.
Some genetically modified seeds and a lot of glyphosate from Monsanto would be a good start.
No need for so much work. Having Oakdale posting is enough for Monsanto.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #85
Permaculture = A Revolution disguised as gardening. :devil:

Do read everything about it.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #86
I'm retired. I don't farm. I neither "toil nor  spin"… I merely enjoy -as much and as such I can- my family, and my hobbies. What else should a lily of the field do? :)
进行 ...

Reply #87
I merely enjoy -as much and as such I can- my family, and my hobbies. What else should a lily of the field do?  :)
To knock down the oak and finally be free.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #88
Many years ago as a wee laddie my parents and I stayed at a distant relation's cattle farm over in Ulster at the edge of a pleasant village. It was only for a fortnight holiday but thankfully it was a very building and slightly posh looking place. Very suitable!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #89
The three main ethic principles of permaculture:
Take care of Earth
Take care of People
Fair redistribution.

Anyone against?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #90
Yup! I'm entirely against all three.

1. Use the earth; it's our planet.
2. Cherish and enjoy people; don't treat them as pets…
3. "Fair redistribution" is the term used by the lazy or the brigand.

Stay on your "farm," Belfrager. Maybe they won't bother you…

BTW: What does "free" mean to you? :)
进行 ...

Reply #92
You really do miss your priviledge, ersi, don't you? You used to be important. But now that the Soviet Union has collapsed, you have to prove your worth to… There's the rub: You don't know what it is.

But your country seems to be doing quite well; You seem to resent that…
进行 ...

Reply #93
You really do miss your priviledge, ersi, don't you?
What privilege? Did you have something particular in mind or are you just mouthing off as usual?

You used to be important. But now that the Soviet Union has collapsed, you have to prove your worth to… There's the rub: You don't know what it is.
I know very well to whom and what worth I have to prove - to the employer. And it's easy - just pretend to be worth it.

Anyway, I have direct experience with two socioeconomic orders and with the anarchic transition period between them. You? Been at least to Scotland in your life? Any reason why I should take you seriously?

Reply #94
Gee whiz! Oakdale has discovered the Soviet Union has collapsed. Slow mover and a couple decades .
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #95
Anyway, I have direct experience with two socioeconomic orders and with the anarchic transition period between them.
Indeed. So do I.
You're right, Americans don't.
A matter of attitude.