Skip to main content
Topic: Living in a Farm... (Read 26288 times)

Re: Living in a Farm...

Reply #25
It's a nightmare the amount of bureaucracy in this country.

Probably true anywhere.
Intermediaries are those that wins the money, not the producers.

Indeed. I've accidentally made money just off horses people have give me. Winter comes around and they realize how much feeding costs and just give me $300-600 horses, lol. Hard to say no to that even tho I have no desire to be a trader.

Maybe a few "niche" products could be worthwhile.

Novelty melons. I hear they go for hundreds of dollars in Japan and aren't even edible. 

Reply #26
Is that a cage for growing squared melons?
Perfect, I'll grow triangulars using small pyramids.  :)

Those orientals even irritates me more than hippies. Bonsais...  small feet for women... melons in a cage... always the same shit.

Now, I've been studying the calendar of planting. This is very important.
As well as chicken tractors... :) and how to build greenhouses.

If you watch youtube you'll notice that Americans builds all those things with wood. Wood it's expensive in Europe.
PVC tubes are a much better alternative regarding cost, but it's plastic, meaning petrol.
All this is very interesting.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #27
If you watch youtube you'll notice that Americans builds all those things with wood. Wood it's expensive in Europe.
PVC tubes are a much better alternative regarding cost, but it's plastic, meaning petrol.
All this is very interesting.

Bamboo might be an alternative. IIRC it may be a couple years before you pull any meaningful poles from a stand/crop/group of it.

edit:
Is that a cage for growing squared melons?

Oh, and yes. Apparently they wanted a melon easier to ship and sit on shelves.  Turns out it's nasty.

Reply #28
Bamboo might be an alternative. IIRC it may be a couple years before you pull any meaningful poles from a stand/crop/group of it.

Bamboo would be cool... but really difficult to get.
Reed works well for very small, light and temporary structures kind of small sheds for the plants at the sowing/beginning of growth phase. Or for poles to plants as tomatoes or peppers.
(Reed beds are invasive at many areas here.)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #29
Now I'm planning a guillotine to cut chicken's heads. Wonderful instrument.
I've heard that chickens keeps on running without heads. Not with my device.

The best part is that it can be upgraded for politicians as well. :)
Never heard that politicians keeps on running without the head... a simplest device would be enough for them...

Rabbits it's more complicated, I suppose that a karate coup in the neck will be efficient. Never heard about cutting a rabbit's head.
An alternative way would be a nail in the top of the head...  possibilities are endless...

There's a certain Edgar Poe's like humor abut killing domestic animals. Strange.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #30

Now I'm planning a guillotine to cut chicken's heads. Wonderful instrument.

Poor chickens.  :awww:
How cruel! Shouldn't we have some more respect toward creation?
Why not using something more human like an electric chair?

Reply #31
Why not using something more human like an electric chair?

It would have the advantage, according some witnesses, that the chicken would come out already roasted....
Well thought krake.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #32
Only criminal chickens deserve it.

Reply #33
Lol, seems excessive guys.

They used to either use a hatchet or just wring their necks. Or as mom has described it... You grab it by the neck and fling the body around in a circle like a rock in a sling. The head apparently pops off due to this and the body may or may not run around a bit, but either way you collect your dinner.

I think nowadays, at chicken farms, they just let them bleed out by puncturing an artery.

Reply #34
It's not about farms, but very close.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n43zAbwtiaI[/video]

Reply #35
Lol, seems excessive guys.

Indeed. Killing pigs it's much more difficult.

Meanwhile my efforts to get a small property keeps on going. Next week will be important, hope it goes well.
If everything goes fine, I would like to move at next spring eh eh  :)

A month, maybe two, before spring would be perfect for the in house seed plantations, home repairs, building things and all that.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #36
Oh! This is not a pipe dream… Then, please know: I wish you well! And I hope you enjoy yourself.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #37
Obrigado, I'll certainly will enjoy it.
All this self sufficiency thing it's just the first stage of my plan, the foundation. Other more thrilling things will follow.

Pipe dream... that's a funny expression, it made me remember that I can grow my own tobacco and stop paying the barbarian high taxes on cigarettes.
There you have a good thing from America, Virginia type of tobacco. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #38
About fifty years ago I had serious thoughts about living on a small farm and becoming as self-sufficient as possible and I asked a friend, who had done it, for advice.
She said "If you plan to raise young animals and kill them and eat them, it is best not to give them names."

Reply #39
I just couldn't... Chickens make eggs too, tho.  ;)

Me favorite donkey dying kinda broke my heart. I sold my only quarter horse yesterday and the rest of the donkeys are next. I can't really keep them all and I've never wanted donkeys anyway. We'll call that one my dad's final joke to me. He left me some asses, Ha-ha-ha. Problem is they ain't worth anything, so that joke just keeps on going. :rolleyes:

The other problem is; I ought to let more go but idk how to pick from the others. :insane:

Reply #40
She said "If you plan to raise young animals and kill them and eat them, it is best not to give them names."

That's easy for me, I treat animals as... animals.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #43
I had plans to get away to the city early on in life. Somewhere in IT or teaching history.

Your words remembers me those ants we see in the ground, half are going into one direction the other half are goint into the opposite direction... until we crush them with our foot just for the pleasure of seeing chaos to happen.

I never had any plans to get away for a country side life...
I wonder who's the irritating boy amusing himself by crushing our lives... :)

Forget it, I'm feeling nihilist today.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #45

Suggested readings:
So You Want To Be a Farmer…
Can You Make a Living on a Small Farm?
6 Things No One Tells You About Living on a Farm

So, since my nomadic plans are still waiting I decided maybe I'll try the contrary, to be a slave of the Land. :)
There's a growing number of people that are tired of city life, city jobs (or lack of it...), city repression and all that anti-natural way of living.
We aren't ants for living like ants.

Most of my Country's interior is almost abandoned. A paradise for "alternative" ways of life.
But there's a problem, a small problem. I know nothing about agricultural things.
The good part is that only a few elder people still lives there, that's good. Elder people from the country side knows how to do things. They can teach me. :)

In return, (that's what I like, a way of life based at direct exchange between people) I can help them doing those things they can't do it anymore. Or teaching them a bit about computers so they can use Skype for example and speak with their families abroad.

From my readings and talking with some people I don't believe one can "make a living" from a small farm. But one can diminish very much the dependency on money by way of an almost self independence regarding food. It also goes for energy with the modern technologies.

And then, there's everything one can get.... more time for the real important things, living and eating at the natural pace of seasons, independence, do your own wine... :)

What do you think about it? already doing it? thinking about doing it? previous experiences? what advantages do you see? difficulties?
Why not, mother land awaits for you... :)

I have grown up around and helped on farms throughout my life.
Amongst other things, the Mississippi Delta has some of the best soil in the Americas for planting.

Haven't done much farm work in recent years, but still remember well how to do most of the rest.

Reply #47
Mandi, youngsters should be give a wide berth… No?! :)

(Note: She's not fool enough to get into the bucket of water. And she's old enough to know better -judging from her backside, which she showed an ample amount of in that picture- than to make herself an ass, too! She, perhaps, knows more about donkeys than you do.) But — I'm a city boy: What do I know? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #48
:lol:

Reply #49

Mandi, youngsters should be give a wide berth… No?! :)

(Note: She's not fool enough to get into the bucket of water. And she's old enough to know better -judging from her backside, which she showed an ample amount of in that picture- than to make herself an ass, too! She, perhaps, knows more about donkeys than you do.) But — I'm a city boy: What do I know? :)

Did you know that the glottis is the smallest opening in the body that air passes through? Had you been actually speaking, you would have forced a lot of unnecessary air through it, sir. :P