Skip to main content
Topic: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?  (Read 78427 times)

Re: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?

Reply #25
No, we didn't misinterpret. It's just that the traps of Russian Engrish are tough. "Physical map" means geological map, with heights and depths and such, good for trekking. He still means a software solution. The best bet is the satellite view of Google Earth or equivalent.
Bullshit2.
:bullshit:

Reply #30

Wow!..

So? That's what you needed?

Btw, on my smartphone I have the version of Google Maps that enables saving for offline. I stopped updating stuff in the phone at the right time. Want to buy? LG P500

Reply #32
Quote from: Shadedrelief.com
Digital map art, although highly accurate, tends to have a mechanical appearance lacking the visual appeal of the best manual art. That National Geographic today still uses manual art for world physical maps indicates the existence of a quality gap.
Large wall map (42.8 MB) – CMYK JPEG (quality level 10), 17,010 x 9,720 pixels, 270 DPI.Who's ЧМЫК?
And who's DPI?

Reply #33
Don't you use Wikipedia? :P DPI is dots per inch; 270 DPI is decent-enough looking print. Although to say that a digital picture is 270 DPI is meaningless. They probably mean it'll print at 270 DPI onto A0 or some such.

Actually, let's quickly calculate that:

17,010/270 = 63 inch
9,720/270 = 36 inch

That doesn't seem to correspond to any common paper sizes.

Reply #38
Ok, I misunderstood then. Good morning to you too.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #39

In any case, I misinterpreted the OP. Turns out I have no idea what the question is.

Yes, ok, thanks, but I prefer physical maps to those "contour" ones you've shown.

No, we didn't misinterpret. It's just that the traps of Russian Engrish are tough. "Physical map" means geological map, with heights and depths and such, good for trekking. He still means a software solution. The best bet is the satellite view of Google Earth or equivalent.

Quote from: studentweb
Maps that show the natural features of the Earth are called physical maps.  In fourth grade we will focus on physical maps that show landforms.  Mountains, hills, and plains are all examples of landforms.  Physical maps also show bodies of water such as lakes, rivers, and oceans.

Reply #40
@Josh
I also have a map on paper titled "World Physical" - in English, but printed in Budapest. You know, when you say "physical map" on the internet, it's like...

Well, I admit your mastery of the English language is superior to any and all of us. You demonstrate it constantly. You even know how the syntax in T&C must be. Everybody else got it wrong, but luckily we have you.

Reply #41
On the Internet you might consider asking for a digital physical map. ;) Although geographical map will do just as well without the ambiguity.

Reply #42
Ersi, you sunavzabirch! :P
Frans &al., I reckon that, as geography having such fields as physical geography, political geography, etc., geographical maps seems to me being a general term - the hyponyms being physical maps, political maps, etc. Am I right?

Reply #43
In terms of maps I think geographical stands opposed to political. I might be wrong.

Reply #45

In terms of maps I think geographical stands opposed to political. I might be wrong.
I guess the most proper term is geophysical as distinguished from political, climate, economic, and other.

But don't take my word on it. Josh rules.

Reply #47
Google's term "terrain" is really apt here. "Terrain map".

Geography means etymologically maps as such, any map. Geology and geophysics may mean mineral contents and structure of the soil. Nothing fits better than "terrain map".

Reply #48
Still, I believe "geographical" is the general term: "depicting earth".  While the word "map", the lexeme "map", seems to me having far not only geographical or cartographical meaning... Yeah, seems it has applications in biology and mathematics.

Reply #49
Google's term "terrain" is really apt here. "Terrain map".
Maybe...

Geography means etymologically maps as such, any map.
That's cartography.

Geology and geophysics may mean mineral contents and structure of the soil.
I doubt "geophysics".
Nothing fits better than "terrain map".

Maybe...