Skip to main content
Topic: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?  (Read 78177 times)

Maps-Maps-Maps! ?

Who knows a decent map service on the Web? Except for Google's and alike, I mean.
For example, I wanted to find some physical maps of the UK's regions. One recent guy gave me errors instead of pages...
In one of other threads I shared some www.justmaps.org.  But its helpfulness seems rather limited to finding towns (within countries or otherwise larger regions; it looks simpler than using Google-like zoomables).
So what do you know? ???

Re: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?

Reply #3
This TED talk might be worth watching, then.

Reply #6
Is that not exactly the same as Google's?

Not exactly the same; it's Google Maps with a couple of extras here and there. However, I too thought the intended target was something quite different as opposed to something 99% the same as Google Maps. An old-fashioned atlas (there's many more where that came from) seemed to fit the bill in my book.

Reply #7
There's only so many sources for international map data. Three off top Nokia, Google (American) and TomTom (Europe). Most places will pool data from those map sets. In fact Google used to buy data from both others. Tho from the company Nokia bought, not directly. They may still use TomTom's data in Europe,  idk. So most maps are indeed the same data set.

Reply #9
If you're not aware of it, check http://www.openstreetmap.org/

The map data for The Netherlands and Belgium is top notch because it was seeded by experts. In the US it's often lesser. But what's missing on OSM, and also on Google Maps, is all the other kinds of maps available in an atlas. Height, terrain type, etc.

Will this do? It's alongside the requisite beer can.

Very nice. I have some old German ones, myself.

Reply #10

If you're not aware of it, check http://www.openstreetmap.org/

The map data for The Netherlands and Belgium is top notch because it was seeded by experts. In the US it's often lesser. But what's missing on OSM.

I have seen it in the market but didn't realize what it was. Figured it for another redress of google nav. Interesting...

I've missed those other features too. Thought I was the last nut with an atlas.

Reply #11
Nice pic, Jim.

As to uptodate navigation apps, what's wrong with Google Maps or Bing Maps that should come out of the box on all or nearly all mobile devices? Don't they do the job just about anywhere?

I have a small collection of maps and atlases myself, unfortunately none really historical, except some reprints of old maps. Sometimes I admire this site http://www.davidrumsey.com/ Most of my collection consists of modern maps of places I visited or planned to visit, ordinary tourist leftovers.

I know about the Openstreetmap too. I have never installed a Google Earth. Instead I have installed Marble http://marble.kde.org/maps.php It includes Openstreetmap in addition to other goodies.

Reply #15
As to uptodate navigation apps, what's wrong with Google Maps or Bing Maps that should come out of the box on all or nearly all mobile devices? Don't they do the job just about anywhere?

Well, you don't want things to stop working when there's no connection. Google likes to makes it software so that it requires connectivity. Also, even on a tablet, digital maps are just so small. In any case, I misinterpreted the OP. Turns out I have no idea what the question is.

Yes, ok, thanks, but I prefer physical maps to those "contour" ones you've shown.

I don't know what you mean by contour, but if you're looking for physical road maps of (parts of) the UK I'd check the local tourist office or try to find some UK/EU-based site that ships to Russia for less than a fortune?

Reply #16
The best maps are the military cartographic series of maps.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #17
Yeah, right...

Not only physical, but other types seem to get found easier - political, roads...

What's wrong with Google's?
1. They're not exactly downloadable. (And I tried using that "save map"/"my maps" thing, but eventually - when I attempted to recall some from there... It appeared dumb.)
2. They're not exactly physical nor even any political (county borders etc.). For the physical aspect, it's most often very hard or impossible to appreciate water objects (unless they're lakes, maybe): instead of rivers dumb Google shows roads, when seas - well, there are ponds, but it's hard to find any markings -- while one could guess about the SEAS, the bays and such stuff are not marked at all.
3. As I already mentioned, you have to start with a mile/inch scale then unzoom, unzoom, unzoom and wait till loading to appreciate the context in which the object is.

Reply #18

In any case, I misinterpreted the OP. Turns out I have no idea what the question is.

Yes, ok, thanks, but I prefer physical maps to those "contour" ones you've shown.

No, we didn't misinterpret. It's just that the traps of Russian Engrish are tough. "Physical map" means geological map, with heights and depths and such, good for trekking. He still means a software solution. The best bet is the satellite view of Google Earth or equivalent.

This whole issue is not a debate but a software/web resource question. It belongs properly to the software board, if I may be so pedantic today.

Reply #19
I make my living by being able to follow map directions, but it appears that Josh is looking for something a little different than anything I'd be familiar with.

What ARE you looking for, or do you even know?
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #20
Google Maps appears to have gone beyond itself.

I was looking at Google Maps and noting that they now show a photo of the house if you enter a specific address., Tried it for my house. So I got a nice photo of a house further up the road.

I was wondering where my delivery went.

(that latter remark, by the way, is unfortunately not a joke).

Reply #21
I'm sure Google is a great source for the CIA and the NSA.

I saw the Google vehicle drive past my house.

Reply #22
On Google Maps, you can also choose "terrain". It shows stuff like mountains a little better.

I'm not sure if there are really proper digital versions of the kind of maps you find in atlases. In Dutch De Grote Bosatlas is kind of the reference atlas; in English that might be Goode's World Atlas. Doubtless JoshL knows better what the Russian paper equivalent is than any of us.

Apparently there are also interactive maps available at something called De Grote Bosatlas Online, but the name sounds like a subscription service to me.

Reply #24

I was looking at Google Maps and noting that they now show a photo of the house if you enter a specific address., Tried it for my house. So I got a nice photo of a house further up the road.

I was wondering where my delivery went.

(that latter remark, by the way, is unfortunately not a joke).

Shit happens. Ask some drone operators.