Skip to main content
Topic: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?  (Read 78195 times)

Re: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?

Reply #52
In addition to having great mastery of the English language, you are also a brilliant analogy-inventor. And expert yetimologist.

Reply #59
Couldn't find a map of Britain's coastline which titles all the major bays and headlands. Maybe somebody knows how to seek?

Reply #61
I did.

Reply #63
I wanted to see who had a bigger army than the US. This helped. It wasn't Portugal after all.

I can understand China's need for a large army...to keep N. Korea out. And India's...to keep China out. Ours is to keep Mexicans out, although it doesn't seem to be working.

Reply #64
The top tens displayed a problem. The richest countries were per capita (otherwise China would be #2, and the Chinese are not particularly rich), with disproportionately many small countries, while the mango army map just as arbitrarily showed the large countries with a strategic mango interest.

For that reason I prefer the geographically based political maps, like the one picking the longest coastlines. Then, Norway is a coastal major power, with a longer coastline than the US, China, or India. (Maybe that's why Opera came up with the brand name Coast?)

Reply #65
the mango army map just as arbitrarily showed the large countries with a strategic mango interest.

The mango is a highly strategic product. As such the mango army map is crucial to the Western world. Should mango production fall into the hands of the evil Chinese communists, we're all doomed to a mango-free lifestyle. I'm willing to send you into battle to prevent that happening.

I know all about your sympathies for out communist friends, so beware.

Reply #66
Just tried a zoom satellite view on a town in Yorkshire.
I wonder - what if to try checking at Grand Rapids - could we spot a Jimbro there? :hm:

Reply #68
Not that many maps, but some are nice. This one is pretty nostalgic.

Reply #72
A punishing map: