Skip to main content
Topic: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?  (Read 78197 times)

Re: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?

Reply #75

Couldn't find a map of Britain's coastline which titles all the major bays and headlands. Maybe somebody knows how to seek?
You know what?
Maybe a Google map will work a certain way: to zoom at a point on the coast - then move/drag the map along. What do you think?

Ask a fisherman.

No joke. Back in the days before GPS, I occasionally had a time finding street addresses. Sometimes an entire neighborhood wouldn't be on the maps. So, I called the police and got directions.

In the case of the British coast, if I wanted specifics on bays and headlands and so on I would ask a fisherman. He makes his living by knowing these places, so that's my first choice.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #76
Or you could ask the fisher of men.
Now as Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen.

And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men."

Reply #77
I reckon British fishermen don't fish along the whole coast of the Isle, Mike;)  And perhaps they don't draw maps as well! :D

Reply #79

http://www.maphill.com/
Includes physical maps, terrain maps, and whatnot.:)
Looks like it offers more than it actually has (which is usual on the web, but wrong anyway). I just tried Estonia and terrain. It borrows Google Maps for that. Boring.

Reply #81
Sure they have stuff here and there, but they have more links than stuff. When they have no stuff, the link leads to boring results.

Reply #82
Maybe you're partially right, but I'm just trying to point you out at the very first map. It is physical and interactive (hover your Estonian cursor!).

Reply #84
Dynamical display data maps at Gapminder are interesting.

This one is about urbanization (by percentage of population) since 1960 until 2010. I was to put it at the urbanization thread, but what I wanted to point is the interest of knowing how things are evolving when looking to a map instead of just having a fixed, photograph like, image of one moment.

Maybe it is possible to insert such maps inside the post so you can see it "working" but I don't know how to do it.

Another thing, your map of Europe by 800 Ad is incorrect, Jax. Al-Andaluz is the part that is now located in Spain and had given origin to Andalucia. In Portugal was called Al-Gharb, therefore being today Algarve. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #86

Dynamical display data maps at Gapminder are interesting.

This one is about urbanization (by percentage of population) since 1960 until 2010. I was to put it at the urbanization thread, but what I wanted to point is the interest of knowing how things are evolving when looking to a map instead of just having a fixed, photograph like, image of one moment.

Maybe it is possible to insert such maps inside the post so you can see it "working" but I don't know how to do it.

Another thing, your map of Europe by 800 Ad is incorrect, Jax. Al-Andaluz is the part that is now located in Spain and had given origin to Andalucia. In Portugal was called Al-Gharb, therefore being today Algarve. :)
Gapminder is good, but yes there should be a general way to embed interactive graphs, but there isn't. There might be, but not soon.

On the naming I wouldn't know, but according to Wikipedia, the fount of all wisdom, the name they used was Al-Garb Al-Andalus, West Andalus, which doesn't sound exclusive of also being Andalus.

Reply #87
Pity that Maphill's maps don't extend into quite smaller territories. Such as Great Somethings in the UK. I like physical maps with administrative borders. The adm.subdivisions' titles are welcome though may be optional - because one can refer to another (eg non-physical) map such as an administrative division map (sometimes such latter don't show cities, which is regrettable).

Reply #89
All the world's countries in a single pass

Reply #92
Greenland (pop 50,000) might secede from Denmark the moment oil or some profitable resource were found that would exceed the value of the annual transfers. Until then they don't have a national government to have a coup against.

Reply #93
Yeah, the States are low but do still have a government... And a SmileyFaze to overthrow it.:D

Reply #94
The world divided into areas of 100 million people

The world divided in areas of 1 trillion dollar GDP

Reply #95
Or even simpler, each region one billion people. Currently the Americas, Europe, and Africa have one billion each, while Asia has four. Later Asia and Africa are expected to get one more billion each.

Reply #97
A legend would have been a help. The maps by themselves tell me squat unless there's something to tell me what the pretty colors actually mean.

A billion people in the Americas? OK, the United States has one side or the other of 300,000,000 in it, so it doesn't take much for the rest of the Americas to make up the difference. Good thing too, because there's vast stretches of Canada where the only living thing you'll see all day is a caribou. I'd have to look up the populations of the various South American countries, and of course Mexico has more than a handful to contribute to the count, so yeah, it's possible that we have a billion somewhere about here.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #99

A billion people in the Americas?
No.
With Australia and New Zealand together.

I rest my case. Without a legend, the pretty colors don't mean much.

I suppose Australia and New Zealand have to be with somebody else to get to a billion, most of Australia's population is on its Eastern coast-- the outback not being overpopulated--. New Zealand is a couple of rather small islands so of course it doesn't have a lot of people.

RJH has reported more than once that the UK has about 70 million people. The premier of China wants to know what hotel they're staying at.