Skip to main content
Topic: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?  (Read 78602 times)

Re: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?

Reply #225
I can't see any Portuguese brand. They missed CR7 (Cristiano Ronaldo).  :worried:
As for Germany, as far as I know, BMW doesn't even rank among the top 5.

Reply #226
This map, based on data provided by Brand Finance.
Alas, the source link doesn't work.
Code: [Select]
http://brandfinance.com/images/upload/global_500_2017_website.pdf

As for Germany, as far as I know, BMW doesn't even rank among the top 5.
When you go straight to the Brand Finance source you can see they maintain different categories.

http://brandfinance.com/press-releases/nivea-is-the-strongest-german-brand/

Nivea is Germany’s most powerful brand with a Brand Strength Index (BSI) score of 88.

[…]

Valued at €33 billion, BMW has maintained its position as the most valuable German brand for the third year in a row.
I'm not really sure what that means though, and the definitions don't help me much either. I've always thought of companies like BMW and Volkswagen as dwarfs compared to, say, Siemens, no matter how big they are.

http://brandfinance.com/images/upload/brand_finance_germany_50_2017_english_locked.pdf

Siemens does feature on the graph, but lower than the car brands and Deutsche Telekom.

They're pretty vague about it all. Basically they're trying to bait you into contacting them to pay for more information. Meh.

Reply #227
It looks like the criterions for calculating the BSI are complicated and partially empiric.
Wonder how helpful it might be for investors.
IMHO they could have shortened the abreviation for that index to BS™. :D

Reply #229
But the Reformation was 500!  :rolleyes:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #230
Yes, idiots took one hundred years to understand it.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #232
GIF not JIF.
It doesn't depends where one lives, a graphic interchange format file is not a giraffe interchange format file anywhere in the world. Is there any language to pronounce "jraphic"? think not.

What I find amusing is that I would say that the g of gift to be softer, not harder, than the g of giraffe. It seems that English to think the contrary.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #233
Geeks say the darndest things. Here the oldest generation of computer nerds employs following pronunciations

- Bug [pu:k]
- Cancel [kænkl]
- Cookie [ko:k(i)]
- Exit [ik'sait]
- Delete [di'lait]

And so on. GIF is [kif] and FAQ is [fak].

Reply #234
Geeks say the darndest things. Here the oldest generation of computer nerds employs following pronunciations
About a decade ago someone was rather adamant that McAfee wasn't pronounced /ˈmækəfiː/ but /ˈməkæfi/. Worse, they kept "correcting" me.

Reply #235
I can attest to the Asian spelling habit. It is a global phenomena that if I say "program" people may not know what I talk about, I must hold my nose and say APP. And in China that's not pronounced "æpp" either, but aye-pee-pee.

PNG never captured the public imagination, and jay-pegg and giff may fade out of it, but I believe most of those that come across it pronounce it P'n'G, not "ping" as the creators and the universe wanted.

Reply #236
I believe most of those that come across it pronounce it P'n'G, not "ping" as the creators and the universe wanted.
I've certainly always said and heard it as Pee En Gee.[1] Why on earth wouldn't you write ping if you think it should be pronounced ping?

Incidentally, a few years ago I decided to finally look up the pronunciation of ASUS. Luckily (?) they'd provided a video on their company website of a representative explaining that it's pronounced ay-SOOS, "like in pey-gay-SOOS" (Pegasus). I guess/hope they were going for Latin /ˈ'peɡasus/ (PEY-gah-soos) and messed it up because it certainly isn't anything like how any English speaker would pronounce Pegasus. Perhaps appropriately, I think most native English speakers pronounce ASUS like the actual final syllables of Pegasus, /əsəs/ (or sometimes /eɪsəs).

Since then ASUS has actually changed their official pronunciation position, but I forget to what.
That pronunciation spelling works in both English and Dutch, although of course Dutch e would be ay in English and the g isn't the same sound at all.

Reply #237
ASUS seems intent on idiosyncratic branding (pronunciation, gratuitous ACRONYM name, slogan).

PNG: The specification specifies pronunciation. Alternative pronunciations would be a spec violation. 

Pronunciation

PNG is pronounced "ping".

Reply #238
And dog must be pronounced cat.
Ping-pong.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #239
Incidentally, a few years ago I decided to finally look up the pronunciation of ASUS. Luckily (?) they'd provided a video on their company website of a representative explaining that it's pronounced ay-SOOS, "like in pey-gay-SOOS" (Pegasus).
So they like to be pronounced something like "Hey, Zeus"? That's Jesus in Spanish, by the way, as taught in Die Hard III.

This has become the world of prescribed mispronunciations.

Reply #241
Thought would give you a bit of passing news that wil please you Belfrager.

A well known MP here Jacob Rees-Mogg's wife has just given birth to their 6th child and amongst his list of names is one used by at least three Popes!  One of those four names is Sixtus :D (honestly)

Reply #242
Watch out for her 7th child. It will be named Septimius if a boy or Septimia if a girl. The 8th one will be named Octavius if a boy or Octavia if a girl and so on...
Keep us on track! :)

Reply #243
Thought would give you a bit of passing news that wil please you Belfrager.
Indeed, good to know that someone has six children at your place. That must be a miracle at the land of the savages.
Around here we don't kill babies, so no surprise.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #244
May I remind you dear man from the slow country that I pointed out he named a child the same as your Pope lot? So we have your lot amongst the nutjobs then??

Reply #245
And what about? In Brazil they name their children like for example Um Dois Três de Oliveira Quatro.

More maps please.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #246
I had thought that even in the Iberian corner the hint of amusement and relating to your Pope man would have been of pleasant interest to you that a white coat man MP would have pleased!  :faint:

Reply #248
Battle tanks per 100K inhabitants

Quote from: By the map'ś author:
Other interesting contenders from around the world:
USA: 1.8
China: 0.47
India: 0.33
Pakistan: 1.49
North Korea: 19.78
Syria: 24.54
Israel: 31.48
Jordan: 16.77
Saudi Arabia: 3.49

One man is enough to stop a tank. Besides, tanks are cavalry and cavalry always arrives too late.

Images from the last battle in history between the Cossack horse cavalry and the German tanks are impressive. Maybe a couple horses escaped, the brave Cossacks never had a chance.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #249
The battle tank, much like the aircraft carrier and the fighter jet is often seen as past warfare technology. (In particular the attack helicopter is supposed to supersede the tank). There's probably a lot of killing left in the tank though.

Something different, The 10 busiest airline routes in the world by seat capacity. [Surprisingly, they're all in Asia-pacific]

That "surprising" it isn't, given the below map, but is shows that airline transport is getting more evenly shared across the world.