Skip to main content
Topic: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?  (Read 78613 times)

Re: Maps-Maps-Maps! ?

Reply #175
Lol, don't show any fans that spelling. ;)

Reply #177
 :blush: Maybe I just don't like them enough to spell correctly.

Reply #178
Ensbb3 is a country music lover, he could never understand any of the major rock music trends.
Maybe some bluegrass or something of the sort. He likes Dolly Parton and the such.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #179
Map of the Viking world with place names in Old Norse

Just to irritate Bel.

Reply #180
That's a false Viking map, never ever Vikings had any comprehension of the world surrounding  them and much less about  concepts as geography and modern world map projection.
Basically idiots forgotten by History. That's the place they will remain.
Forever.

Not only to irritate ersi.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #181
 :devil:  Though some names seems to be an invention for the map, like "Skraelingsland".

Helluland, Markland, and Vinland are authentic, as is the name skræling for the locals, but I've never heard of Skrælingsland and it doesn't fit in with the naming scheme, and if they had decided to do so I believe it would have been Skrælingaland (the land of the Skræling people), not Skrælingsland (Skræling's land, where Skræling presumably would be some owner or ruler of that land). Likewise Persialand and Indialand seem highly dubious, there may be more.

Reply #182
I think this map represents much better the idea Vikings had about the world.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #183
Though some names seems to be an invention for the map, like "Skraelingsland".
Btw, is rike (rijk/Reich) a word that's not used in names in Norse or is that just a thing with the silly map? Frankland as opposed to FrankrijkFrankarike (or whatever :P) really stands out to me. I notice there are at least two rikis,[1] Ungariki and Gardariki. By analogy I'd expect Frankariki.
I assume riki is Old Norse?

Reply #184
You're right, I didn't notice that one (and Frakkland at that, not Frankland). Yes, Norse is riki, the modern Scandinavian would be Frankrike, just like Frankreich and Frankrijk. Then again there are plenty lands, like England, the land of the Engs... Ungarariki is plausible (modern Ungarn/Ungern), though I haven't heard of it before. It would have formed during the Viking age, while France of course became a realm much earlier. "Langobardland" (Lombardy) would also have been pre-Viking. As they were a Germanic tribe presumably from Scandinavia they might at some point called their land Langobardland, but not at the Viking age. Similarly Svealand is a landscape in Sveariki (modern Sverige or Sweden).

Serkland and Sarkland should be right, and possibly Tyrkland. Bláland too for North Africa, blá(r) meaning black or blue. "Africa" used to be Libya, the term might be known at later Viking age. 

Reply #185
You're right, I didn't notice that one (and Frakkland at that, not Frankland).
I noticed, but my fingers went with the normal spelling and I didn't notice while doing a quick scan.  :doh:

Serkland and Sarkland should be right, and possibly Tyrkland.
Turkland sounds like a plausible enough Dutch and English name as well. Turkey is right next to GriekenlandGrikkland, after all. Actually why isn't it Greekland in English? :P

Incidentally, a Donald Duck magazine invention for speaking of an undisclosed faraway country is Verwegistan (Farawaystan). This long precedes the trouble of the last decade and a half.

Reply #186
Grikkland is the modern Icelandic name for modern Greece. (Checked, yes indeed the modern Icelandic name for France is Frakkland. I don't know why, after all the Franks are called Frankar.)

However, I wouldn't think Grikkland was the name used during the Viking age, rather the Roman or Byzantine Empire. Vikings served as imperial mercenaries (Varangian guard) and were likely to use their endonym at the time, not the Latin name for the Greeks. 

That's the condition for Tyrkland, there would be Turks in Anatolia at the time, but there would not yet be any Turkey. The fall of Miklagarð(r)/Konstantinoúpoli happened well after the Vikings. (I see now that Wikipedia claims that the Swedes called the Byzantine Empire "Greece", so, assuming this is correct, they may have used the name Grikkland after all.)

Reply #188
Always the economist, the source of sissies. Economist sissies.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #189
Economist siccies? Coming from Portugal which had to do the begging bowl to Europe!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #190
We had to do nothing, we consider we have the natural right to live from your money and work for as long as we decide to do it. Now that you are running away many others will keep on paying.

You people are really totally blind if you believe that money still exists.
Money doesn't exist, for long that the total amount of the financial volume in circulation in the world exceeds for more than one hundred times the total amount of real money.

Only fools works for nothing. To live it's an art, not a job, not an effort.
Jax should do a map about it for your orientation.  :lol:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #192
Watch how fast the world became obese

Over the last 40 years, obesity rates around the world have ballooned. The average adult today is 3x as likely to be obese compared to the average adult in 1975.

This map shows how it happened, country-by-country.

Reply #193
Easily solved, put fat people paying ten times more taxes. They spend more, they occupy more space, they pollute more.
It's a matter of tax equality.

Besides, fat people never have class. Another tax on them.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #194
Someone needs to update "A Modest Proposal"…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #195
I'm sure it's been done. :P

Reply #196

Reply #197
That's not state borders, that's a lot of states together borders.
More than half of all American States have each one a GDP smaller than Portugal.

As usual a false map.
As usual a false America.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #198
Just for the fun of it, try to re-interpret those labels as cultures or political ideologies… :) For instance, California equals France in both pretentiousness and "egalitarian" nonsense — but, so far, without the blood-letting!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)