Skip to main content
Topic: The adventures of an Windows Knight at the Wild-Lands of Linux (Read 25157 times)

Re: The adventures of an Windows Knight at the Wild-Lands of Linux

Reply #75
Good, good. :) Security and stability upgrades mostly, I assume.

Reply #76

The other, Otter, fails to keep cookies, what forces me to login every time I enter DnD and other sites. No patience.

That one might be webkit and not the browser itself - I have the same problem with Midori.
Also, Midori has the annoying habit of stopping to run scripts on pages that have been in the background for a while ( no, I don't want them to run in background tabs but they sure should run when the tab comes back to the foreground ). And lastly, it doesn't reliably save the open tabs on exit. When it starts back up it sure opens all tabs but at various points in their history, not necessarily where they were when exiting the browser.

Reply #77
After a few months adventuring myself alone and fearless into the Linux magical woods:

Caminante que no hay camino, tu mismo lo haces al caminar...*
And I will not return back... :)

* Spanish saying about the "Way to Santiago". Walker there is no path, the path is made by your own walking...

A matter of attitude.

Reply #78
Cool. :)

Reply #80
And both are Buntuers. Makes me think that Ubuntu is already the next MS Apple. At least I felt quite limited when on Ubuntu Unity. Moving to Manjaro Xfce was rather liberating, a similar leap like from Vista to Unity. Openbox and OpenRC provided further discoveries.

Reply #81
That's nothing inherent about Ubuntu. The one guy explicitly talks about how much better he thinks KDE (i.e. Kubuntu) is than Unity, and if I were to recommend Linux to a random person I'd probably tell them to give Xubuntu a try. But yes, Manjaro has certainly risen up these past few years.

Reply #82
Admittedly, I also exclusively install and recommend Buntus to random people, inasmuch as Mint is really a Buntu and so is Linux Lite OS. Buntu provides the widest selection of desktops, hardware support and it stays comfy even when unmaintained. Nobody in my circle of acquaintances and friends likes to get dirty with Linux, except myself.

Reply #83
Quite balanced and informative, I keep it among my bookmarks since ages: DistroWatch
However, IMO there is no silver bullet distro. Each one has its pros and cons.

Reply #84
Ubuntu and Mint are pretty close to the silver bullet for newcomers to Linux. Newcomers normally don't know about different desktop environments and such, so the plainest choices fit them best for the time being. The first step made, they can familiarise themselves with more options and begin to make more informed choices.

Reply #85
Newcomers normally don't know about different desktop environments and such, so the plainest choices fit them best for the time being.

Yes and no.
Newcomers aren't all equal.

Ubuntu is fine for Microsoft migrants because it offers a similar graphical interface,a lot of "comodities", but what those migrants seeks is more than that in my opinion. I see Ubuntu as a nice entrance door to Linux, an initial step.

Soon I'll install other Linux distros so I can opiniate better about it. I find Ubuntu (Mate) too much "barbie thingy" to my particular taste and not too much stable.
I need something between Ubuntu and some "only terminal command" distro.
But now I'm busy with other (real) things so computers will have to wait.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #86
I have no more enthusiam for computers.
This thread will be no more suported by me. Thank you.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #87
As long as you stay on Linux, adventures never end. Keep learning and make the best of it.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH8Z9zeywq0[/video]

Reply #88
well,  rather live usb you can install it at usb.

just make a partition at usb,  then use virtual box to install linux  at usb flash disk.

nor use two usb,  one  to install,  one is the destination.

i oftenly  using linux nor hiren with gparted  to troubleshoot,  fix or maintenance windows system.

you do not want to have usb windows to fix windows with tons of virus.

coz it will just infect it sobad.

Reply #89
I installed Manjaro when it was still a good nimble distro where the noob user was helped along instead of locked in. Nowadays Manjaro cannot be recommended to new users, while I can still safely update what I installed ages ago.

I'm fairly addicted to uptodate software and the ability to reproduce the opsys/environment on a different hardware. These two important features are said to be available with NixOS that my IRC pals increasingly migrate to. My first feeble attempts of installing it have failed, but perhaps I'll try again and succeed at some point.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp3Iu4Cpfyk[/video]