Skip to main content
Topic: Random Chat (Read 460967 times)

Re: Random Chat

Reply #175
I know very well that my eyes aren't nearly as good anymore as 10 years ago—which in a very real sense indicates how (frighteningly?) low "normal" visual acuity is.

Reply #176
The one thing you can be sure about is no matter how good your eyesight is, it will deteriorate the older you get. I doubt if our use of computer screens and mobile phones is helping things either. Maybe laser surgery is the answer for us all if we don't want to wear glasses.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #177
I managed to hold off the inevitability of reading glasses (whole family has them) until I turned 50. But I finally have to admit that my arms are just too short to read smallish print. Time to get some readers...>sigh<...
You are the result of 3.8 billion years of evolutionary success.
Act like it!

Reply #178
I managed to hold off the inevitability of reading glasses (whole family has them) until I turned 50

That's not a bad age just for reading glasses.
I was 44 before I felt the need for them, felt my sight was fine but I was getting lots of headaches so I was advised to get my eyes checked. Optician said I needed reading glasses so that was me, still getting the bloody headaches though.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #180
Including the cat, judging by your avatar.

Reply #181

Optician said I needed reading glasses so that was me, still getting the bloody headaches though.

Try cutting back on the whisky when you read...;)
Act like it!

Reply #182
ׂ

Reply #183
Try cutting back on the whisky when you read.

I wish.
Funnily enough whisky never ever gave me a headache, no matter how much I consumed when I did drink alcohol. Gave other people headaches when I had one too many allegedly, but never suffered myself. A good red wine though almost always resulted in a throbbing head next morning. 

My Dropbox account has been disabled for a couple days due to too much traffic. I have no idea how this came about because there is few warez or large videos there for me. Unless they are counting the number of requests for small pictures.

Surely not just for small images? If it is then that's a really bad show and quite pathetic. 

Reply #184
ׂ

Reply #185
Just a thought here. One might be able to take other people's accounts down by leeching a practically achievable amount of data off some file associated with that account.

Highly possible I would imagine, something to be wary of if nothing else.

Reply #187
Apparently the issue was on Dropbox's end..

That would explain it. Surprised I've not seen that mentioned anywhere else yet, or maybe the sites I go to are having a kip.

Reply #189
Quote from: Luxor
A good red wine though almost always resulted in a throbbing head next morning. 

No problems here with wine, but drinking beer usually gives me a bad headache and I have to drink a lot of coffee to get rid of it.

Reply #191
No problems here with wine, but drinking beer usually gives me a bad headache and I have to drink a lot of coffee to get rid of it.

Just make sure to drink enough water—a glass or two before going to bed if nothing else. Will you have to get up to pee during the night? Possibly, but you won't have any headaches.

Blame the bubbles in the beer, not the beer itself.

Or blame the quality of the beer? Heck, I practically get a headache just smelling most über-cheap beer/wine.* :P

* And slightly less cheap stuff like Heineken that otherwise seems to be pretty much indistinguishable.

Reply #192
Quote from: Frenzie
Just make sure to drink enough water—a glass or two before going to bed if nothing else.

Kewl, thanks Frenzie! That's one remedy I need to remember. :D

Reply #193
Or blame the quality of the beer?

There's truth in that right enough, cheep beer is best avoided, ditto cheap wine.

Reply #194
ditto cheap wine.

Eh, depends. The Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau wine tends to be fairly cheap and quite neat. There's also some great cheap Chablis wine, not to mention this terrific cheap Czech wine I brought along from Prague back in '04. Especially Chili and South Africa have some decent, affordable Chardonnays too imo.

That notwithstanding, now I want some Veuve Clicquot. You bastard. :P

Reply #195
Eh, depends. The Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau wine tends to be fairly cheap and quite neat.

Have to take your word for that seeing as I'm teetotal , there were no good cheap ones available here when I did drink it though.
That notwithstanding, now I want some Veuve Clicquot. You bastard.

Then my work here is done.

Reply #196
Have to take your word for that seeing as I'm teetotal , there were no good cheap ones available here when I did drink it though.

It may depend on your definition of cheap, or perhaps your tastes are simply different. Don't get me wrong though: most cheapish wines aren't great.

Reply #197
It may depend on your definition of cheap, or perhaps your tastes are simply different.

Probably a bit of both really.

Reply #198

It may depend on your definition of cheap, or perhaps your tastes are simply different.

Probably a bit of both really.

You probably don't want to dwell too much on the topic of taste with someone whose national dish is haggis...trust me; been there, done that...;)
Act like it!

Reply #199
I'm not entirely sure about the lungs or the stomach part, but there's nothing wrong with heart & liver. :P