Skip to main content
Topic: Random Chat (Read 461054 times)

Re: Random Chat

Reply #1200
True. The local supermarket.   :P  I'd never heard of the term "Dutched cocoa" before, so had to look it up.

Here it's just called cocoa. It's only when you look at the ingredients that you can spot the difference. Natural cocoa wouldn't have e.g. sodium carbonate in it, and I'm not sure such a thing can even be found in stores (except the extra expensive raw cocoa powder, which is yet a different thing).

Reply #1201
It may be available in one of those organic food shops, that seems to have popped up everywhere these days. As it sounds as if that would be just the thing they would sell.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #1202
Right, that's where you can definitely find raw cocoa powder. But in America they primarily sell natural cocoa powder, basically the same stuff around the same price as Dutched cocoa powder, just without the treatment.

Reply #1203
We had a partial solar eclipse here today. Couldn't see a damned thing though, because it was dull, cloudy and overcast. If it hadn't got a bit darker it would have passed me by, totally unnoticed. I've got to wait 75 years for another one to pass by apparently.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #1204
We had a partial solar eclipse here today. Couldn't see a damned thing though, because it was dull, cloudy and overcast.

Damned...same here, all cloudy and overcast. Not to mention it was all sunny just a few days ago...where's the sun when you really need it :whistle:

I've got to wait 75 years for another one to pass by apparently.

Not in my lifetime, I guess. Now, if reincarnation is true then I may get a chance in my next life. ;)

Reply #1205
Damned...same here, all cloudy and overcast. Not to mention it was all sunny just a few days ago..

Yep! Exactly the same here.

where's the sun when you really need it  :whistle:

It disappears for so long that I'm beginning to think that it emigrates.

Not in my lifetime, I guess. Now, if reincarnation is true then I may get a chance in my next life.  ;)

Clutching at straws methinks.

Reply #1206
I saw a little girl at the cafeteria today and both her parents are blind. It makes me wonder how her parents feed and take care of her.  :worried:

Reply #1207
I saw a little girl at the cafeteria today and both her parents are blind. It makes me wonder how her parents feed and take care of her.   :-\

If they are anything like a blind couple I used to know, then they probably feed and care for her a damned site better than some parents with perfect site do.

Reply #1208
That's good to know. I hope that little girl is well taken care of.

Reply #1209
I should never do any grocery shopping on an empty stomach because I end up buying all kinds of junk food that I don't need. ::whistle:

Reply #1210
I'm sure I remember some "expert" (expert in what I don't know) on TV, saying that you should only do your food shopping after eating for that very reason. Though I think they meant buying food you don't need at all, rather than just buying junk food.
But I wasn't giving it my full attention, so I could be wrong.

Reply #1211
You weren't giving TV your full attention?
There must be a designated punishment for that.

Reply #1212
My problem has always been with buying junk food, which I'm trying to avoid. On my way out of the grocery store I kept hearing a voice saying "Pringles!", so I went back into the grocery store and bought some Pringles and cookies :whistle:

Reply #1213
You weren't giving TV your full attention?
There must be a designated punishment for that.

I hope not or I will be permanently punished, as I never really pay attention to it.

On my way out of the grocery store I kept hearing a voice saying "Pringles!", so I went back into the grocery store and bought some Pringles and cookies  :whistle:

The voice didn't say cookies though. No excuses for the inclusion of them along with the pringles.

Reply #1214
The voice didn't say cookies though. No excuses for the inclusion of them along with the pringles.

:lol: Good thing I didn't have Doritos, candies, and brownies on my groceries :P At least I manage to refrain myself a little bit :D

Reply #1215
Good thing I didn't have Doritos, candies, and brownies on my groceries :P At least I manage to refrain myself a little bit ;D

Ah well, it's not as if you live on junk food. A little of what you fancy won't hurt you.

Reply #1216
Ah well, it's not as if you live on junk food. A little of what you fancy won't hurt you.

That's true. Chocolate for instance can be good for you because it can elevate a more positive mood. :up:

Reply #1217
Chocolate for instance can be good for you because it can elevate a more positive mood.  :up:

I know a few folk who should be in a perpetual positive state then.  :P

Reply #1218
Chocolate is good for other things than just a mood enhancer. In moderation, it can be beneficial to your cardiovascular system. It's said that the cocoa bean helps fight cardiac disease and aids in repairing some damage.  I've read dark chocolate is best.

Reply #1219
Just eat raw cocoa beans. ;)

Reply #1221
Yes, I bought some last year. A (sizable) bag is €7, so slightly cost prohibitive in the "let's just give it a try" sense. At first they seem rather strong and bitter, and I say that even though I was pretty much only eating 80+% cocoa chocolate, but after a few times you get used to it. I think a couple of cocoa beans are significantly more satisfying than a single-portion sizing of traditional dark chocolate.

The picture shows milk chocolate, but the molds are the same.

I was never a big fan of (added) sugar, but I've now cut out the last remainders.

Actually I've come to realize this is the story of my food preferences. Probably about a decade ago now, my mother remarked that I was using an awful lot of salt. When I thought about it, it wasn't actually the salt I wanted, but the garlic powder in the garlic salt. I've since switched to garlic granules for seasoning.

With chocolate, it was really the cocoa I wanted. Not the added sugar or any such stuff.

So I finally came to the logical conclusion: I used to almost always eat at least some Nutella for breakfast, but I had to try hazelnut paste. What do you know? I like it much better than Nutella. Maybe with some cocoa powder to approach the Nutella flavor more closely. Want some sweetness after all? Just eat something like an apple or a banana with it.

Reply #1222
Talking of Nutella. I received a leaflet from a local takeaway last week and was reading through their list of pizzas.
Half way down the list with *New* next to it, was a Nutella pizza. Think I'll give that one a miss.

Reply #1223
Well, apparently the idea of hearty pancakes (like a cheese pancake) is odd to Americans. A pizza pancake works too, although that's a bit weirder. Conversely, a Nutella "pizza" could work just fine. Meaning a flatbread with Nutella and some fresh fruit or something. I doubt I could be convinced to call it a pizza.

Edit: yeah, this recipe basically says what I was thinking, except with I don't even want to know how much Nutella http://www.kidspot.com.au/best-recipes/Easy-recipes+15/Nutella-pizza-recipe+2374.htm

As for my own remaining Nutella, I've mixed it down with a whole bunch of pure hazelnut paste and I still think it's too sweet. :/ Which is unfortunate, because I still have two giant jars.

I always thought I couldn't stomach anything other than some fruit juice and some bread with chocolate sprinkles, jam or Nutella in the morning. But in fact the converse it true. Without the sweetness, my stomach is perfectly fine with heartier meals like cheese, eggs or fish. The English breakfast kipper? Heck, it's a pretty decent idea. And much healthier too.

Reply #1224
Conversely, a Nutella "pizza" could work just fine. Meaning a flatbread with Nutella and some fresh fruit or something. I doubt I could be convinced to call it a pizza.

I don't think this one had any fruit on it, none was mentioned anyway. The only other ingredient I recall was a dusting of icing sugar.

The English breakfast kipper? Heck, it's a pretty decent idea. And much healthier too.

Stinks the house out though. Both my parents liked kippers for their breakfast. I couldn't get out of the house fast enough in the morning.  :))