Skip to main content
Topic: Random Chat (Read 461131 times)

Re: Random Chat

Reply #1050
I can only guess that their demise over here has been due to most new houses being small and having fitted kitchens. Only a front loader is practical in that situation. A top loader would be better suited to a separate utility/wash room. Which very few houses here, have nowadays.

A big advantage of front-loading is that you can put a washer and dryer on top of each other. But if you don't have a dryer (waste of electricity, no facilities for it, etc.) that doesn't really matter. A dehumidifier is much more energy-efficient when you need to keep the windows closed.

Anyway, a washer in the kitchen? That just sounds like a noise nightmare and besides that's where you might want a dishwasher. I'd hope it'd at least be in the bathroom or something. Also, whoever came up with the concept of windows without screens should be put on trial, as should whoever came up with those stupid completely useless freezers inside already small fridges. But at least we've finally got sensible insulation requirements now…

Reply #1051
Anyway, a washer in the kitchen?

Fairly normal here. So much so that if you go to buy a new fitted kitchen, the washing machine is usually included as they are built into the cupboards.
That just sounds like a noise nightmare

It sure is, especially when your washing machine is a few years old.  I swear it can feel like an earth tremor sometimes.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #1052
Anyway, a washer in the kitchen? That just sounds like a noise nightmare and besides that's where you might want a dishwasher.

Which also makes noise and fits neatly under the cabinet. ;) Most examples I know use things like bathrooms, closets, garages and pantries as noise buffers between those machines... Though now I'm kinda stuck with the idea of stacking them. They've served me well these years so I've built a space for them to be stacked in the bathroom, presently. Ideally I think their own room off in a corner of a house would be best. :beer: (Here's to always getting what you want.)

Reply #1053
Which also makes noise and fits neatly under the cabinet.  ;)

Sure, dishwashers make a little noise, but it's nothing compared to centrifuging or even regular washer operation. Assuming you don't have some energy-wasting loudness monster from the 1980s, anyway. (Not that you'd ever get anywhere near the noise of centrifuging.)

Reply #1054
Some other factors from a contractor's point of view, cost being one. We put the laundry room adjacent to a bathroom and kitchen so the drain line makes a straight shot and you aren't running plumbing and dedicated electrical all around the house. Breaker box in the utility room and it gives you an out of the way place for GFI plugs and such.

Though as a side note, such a noise complaint to mama would probably get me handed a washing board.

Reply #1055
You all ready for Xmas?
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #1056
Some other factors from a contractor's point of view, cost being one. We put the laundry room adjacent to a bathroom and kitchen so the drain line makes a straight shot and you aren't running plumbing and dedicated electrical all around the house. Breaker box in the utility room and it gives you an out of the way place for GFI plugs and such.

Next to the kitchen and/or bathroom means there's at least one door in between, doesn't it? That's all I want. For this specific scenario I suppose the style of kitchen with a door is nicer so that with two doors you'd barely have any noise in the living room, but open kitchens are much friendlier and nicer all in all.

You all ready for Xmas?

Sure. :P

Reply #1057

You all ready for Xmas?

Yep! Wrapped everything last night before work. Unfortunately,  the hospital doesn't shut down for the holidays so I won't arrive home until roughly 8 am tomorrow morning. Still debating whether I should stay up all day Xmas day.  ???

Reply #1058
Still debating whether I should stay up all day Xmas day.

You might have to, as you will have so may presents it will take you all day to open them.

Reply #1060
I'm just ready to eat.

I think I've eaten enough to keep me going for weeks. No room for my birthday cake.

Reply #1062
Well I never ate.   :(

What? How come?

I have managed to stay up all day. 30 hours and counting.   :)

I'm impressed. You certainly have more stamina than I have. I would resemble a zombie if I tried that.

Reply #1063

Well I never ate.   :(

What? How come?

I have managed to stay up all day. 30 hours and counting.   :)

I'm impressed. You certainly have more stamina than I have. I would resemble a zombie if I tried that.

Still full from breakfast, I suppose.
I definitely resembled a zombie. Used it to my advantage though. Hide-n-seek is so much better when you look dead.  :lol:

Reply #1064
Hide-n-seek is so much better when you look dead.

That could potentially, scare the living daylights out of the one who finds you though.

Reply #1066

Hide-n-seek is so much better when you look dead.

That could potentially, scare the living daylights out of the one who finds you though.

Or, if one is the seeker, one could potentially catch a quick nap before seeking the hiders. Be interesting to see how long the hiders stay hidden before catching on...hehehe...;)
You are the result of 3.8 billion years of evolutionary success.
Act like it!

Reply #1067
That's what I strive for.   ;)

You are a wicked woman. I like that.

Or, if one is the seeker, one could potentially catch a quick nap before seeking the hiders. Be interesting to see how long the hiders stay hidden before catching on...hehehe... ;)

I get the feeling that your nap would be cut short somehow.

Reply #1068
Next to the kitchen and/or bathroom means there's at least one door in between, doesn't it?

Yessir. An actual utility room is always a perk. No one has ever told me they wish the laundry area was a closet... But you then have to add to the structure. Usually 70 sq/ft or more has to be acquired from a competing house with the same living space. Bit of a trade off has to happen, sacrificing embellishments in finish work, vaulted ceilings and other niceties to keep from bumping it to another buyers market. Tricks like open kitchens or arched openings to present the illusion of more space are also favorable... they are nicer anyway with an actual reduction in cost.  

Reply #1074

Chrome 30.0.0.0

You have an odd version of Chrome, my dear.

Actually it's an even version. Which is odd :left:

( sorry, couldn't resist )

I'm an odd chick. I like it that way. Hehe

Now see; the rest of us were just trying to be nice by not stating the obvious...hehehe...
You are the result of 3.8 billion years of evolutionary success.
Act like it!