Skip to main content
Topic: Random Chat (Read 461192 times)

Re: Random Chat

Reply #901
I've heard that some models are basically too flexible for their screens, so be careful.

I'm not sure any of them could take a seven ft. drop impacting their edge on to concrete. "Shattered" may be a better word.

I have cracked a screen in my pocket kneeling down so what you heard is probably true.

I guess when things like that happen you wish to heck you had accidental damage cover for them. Of course when you do pay for accidental damage cover, you can almost guarantee that nothing bad will ever happen to it.

I used to. Economically it doesn't make much sense here, to me. You take your chances with a refurbished phone and usually my phones are in breach of contract anyway. So I can't just return them so easily. I can buy A generation older but fully modifiable (don't have to worry about an unresolvable soft-brick again) for 50 or more dollars less than the replacement cost and monthly fee of an insured phone.

The odd thing is, I ordered the same phone I dropped for less than the cost of just the digitizer and outer screen. (The parts I broke)

Reply #902
The odd thing is, I ordered the same phone I dropped for less than the cost of just the digitizer and outer screen. (The parts I broke)

That doesn't surprise me in the least. Seems to be the way with most things these days, it's just not worth repairing them. It's madness.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #903
True. It wouldn't be peanut butter otherwise, though that wouldn't be a bad thing. Horrible stuff.

In my opinion the nasty stuff is what doesn't have sufficient peanuts, or other additives like sugar. For instance, there's this English/American product called Skippy which has 90% peanuts (that's not too bad, but still…), sugar and palm oil.

Of course, if you don't like peanuts either then that changes the picture. :P

Reply #904
I love peanuts, but peanut butter I just can't stand. Weird I know, it's one of life's mysteries.  :P 
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #905

I love peanuts, but peanut butter I just can't stand. Weird I know, it's one of life's mysteries.  :P

One of my best friends is the same way. Or is it the other way around; likes peanut butter, hates peanuts?
Either way, your particular weirdness...vis-a-vis peanuts...is not unique...;)
You are the result of 3.8 billion years of evolutionary success.
Act like it!

Reply #906
Either way, your particular weirdness...vis-a-vis peanuts...is not unique.

Well that's reassuring to know. Knew it couldn't just be me.  ;) 

Reply #907
Eh, peanut butter can be different in many ways, related not only to the additives but obviously also the peanuts. Just for fun you could try making your own peanut butter out of some peanuts you like to see what you think of that. :P

Personally I think the "regular" peanut butter tastes kinda meh at best. But the organic peanut butter is great. However, I'm also fairly sure that it's not so much the organic part as the 99.99999% peanut (and a little salt) part that matters.* I say that based on the fact that I used to like Calvé when it had 97% peanuts, and when I thought it started tasting worse I checked the ingredients and it turned out they upped the palm oil content so that it was only 85% peanuts! The cheap Aldo peanut butter was also good at like 95% peanuts, but they seem to have stopped selling it. Or maybe they just never had it in Belgium.

* Incidentally, that's a theme with many organic things.

Reply #908
Just for fun you could try making your own peanut butter out of some peanuts you like to see what you think of that.

That would be a waste of good peanuts I imagine, as it would probably end up in the bin. I'll stick to my nice packets of salted peanuts, much more enjoyable.
There was only one brand available here back in the day, called sun-pat and it was available smooth or crunchy. Don't know if it's the only brand these days, I guess the supermarkets will be pushing their own-brand like most things now. I can't imagine it will taste any better.

Reply #909
Someone has just crashed into the wall of our house. Now there's something I never thought I would hear myself saying.
House undamaged, car a bit dented with a limping driver.

Reply #910

Someone has just crashed into the wall of our house. Now there's something I never thought I would hear myself saying.
House undamaged, car a bit dented with a limping driver.

Wow! What caused the person to run into it?

Reply #912

I wasn't very sure at first. We had heavy rain and thunderstorms yesterday and I thought that might have somehow been the cause. Cars tend to speed down the hill I live on, so wouldn't have been surprised. The driver, a young lass was taken into a neighbours house while the ambulance and police were here, so we didn't really know.

However the lass came to our door this morning and spoke to my wife. Apparently she was coming up the hill and was pulling in to park at the other side of the road and all of a sudden her steering went and she shot across the road, right into our wall. No idea why, I guess the police will be checking that out. She only had a sprained ankle and a sore head this morning, she's lucky as it's a busy road, if another car had been coming down the hill at the time it could have been worse for her. At least she knows that her airbags work.

I thought that only happened in comic books. :O

I've seen a few reports of the same on the news a few times, usually the car and the house is wrecked though.

Reply #913
Oooooh lovely. Nixie has discovered...and now lost...a mouse.

Another notable difference between Nixie and Clint; Nixie sees a mouse and thinks "What a cool TOY!". Whereas Clint sees a mouse and thinks "What a cool SNACK!"

Sorry Nixie, I fear you'll never be in the same mouser league as Clint...

To her credit though, she is dutifully camped in front of the spot where she lost it. With any luck, the mouse is foolish enough to think it's safe to leave and this time I'll succeed in performing a catch-and-release...

LATER THAT NIGHT:--------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, mouse didn't know when he had it good and ventured out from its hiding place. Unfortunately for it, Clint was back on duty...and dutifully made sure to consume his "cool SNACK" in front of me.

Honestly, I don't know which form of his bragging I prefer; leaving me the "trophy" on the floor, or his "Watch me make it disappear!" approach.

Regardless, his reputation as a first-class mouser is secure...
Act like it!

Reply #914

I wasn't very sure at first. We had heavy rain and thunderstorms yesterday and I thought that might have somehow been the cause. Cars tend to speed down the hill I live on, so wouldn't have been surprised. The driver, a young lass was taken into a neighbours house while the ambulance and police were here, so we didn't really know.

However the lass came to our door this morning and spoke to my wife. Apparently she was coming up the hill and was pulling in to park at the other side of the road and all of a sudden her steering went and she shot across the road, right into our wall. No idea why, I guess the police will be checking that out. She only had a sprained ankle and a sore head this morning, she's lucky as it's a busy road, if another car had been coming down the hill at the time it could have been worse for her. At least she knows that her airbags work.

Sounds like both parties involved were lucky.  :D

Reply #915
Oooooh lovely. Nixie has discovered...and now lost...a mouse.

Ahh! Cats at play, what could be more fun.

Another notable difference between Nixie and Clint; Nixie sees a mouse and thinks "What a cool TOY!". Whereas Clint sees a mouse and thinks "What a cool SNACK!"

It would be boring if they both behaved the same way, you get the best of both worlds.

Honestly, I don't know which form of his bragging I prefer; leaving me the "trophy" on the floor, or his "Watch me make it disappear!" approach.

Well either is preferable to the creature being critically wounded and you having to finish it off. Which is the situation that Bailey kindly leaves us in. His favourite is birds, which he brings into the house very much alive. Which he promptly lets go so he can chase them around the house, before subjecting them to cruel treatment. You wouldn't believe the sounds that a tortured bird can make. After his torture and torment, he suddenly gets bored and goes outside, leaving us to put the poor thing out of it's misery. I would prefer Clint's way of dealing with things.

Sounds like both parties involved were lucky.

Definitely, doubt her car is going to be back on the road though. Seems it took more damage than it looked.

Reply #917
Have you been out there ringing doorbells?

Let's just say I've been doing my bit to help the cause. I can even claim to have turned a couple of no voters into yes voters.
There is a local yes hub that my wife has been to a few times and they can't keep up with the demands for yes merchandise, like window posters, badges, flags etc. Something's happening and it's beginning to get very exciting.

Reply #918

Have you been out there ringing doorbells?

Let's just say I've been doing my bit to help the cause. I can even claim to have turned a couple of no voters into yes voters.
There is a local yes hub that my wife has been to a few times and they can't keep up with the demands for yes merchandise, like window posters, badges, flags etc. Something's happening and it's beginning to get very exciting.
ey

"Merchandise"? Did someone say "merchandise"??? They online? Do they ship?
Act like it!

Reply #919
"Merchandise"? Did someone say "merchandise" ???  They online? Do they ship?

No afraid not, it's entirely a local thing for the town and surrounding region, most towns have them now.
The only official place to get stuff is at yesscotland and the choice of stuff seems to be getting pretty low on there now.

Reply #920

"Merchandise"? Did someone say "merchandise" ???  They online? Do they ship?

No afraid not, it's entirely a local thing for the town and surrounding region, most towns have them now.
The only official place to get stuff is at yesscotland and the choice of stuff seems to be getting pretty low on there now.

Bummer...would have loved to get some of the local versions of stuff. If you're up to it, could post a pic or two...:D
Act like it!

Reply #921
Bummer...would have loved to get some of the local versions of stuff. If you're up to it, could post a pic or two.

Ah you've misunderstood me. It's not local versions of the merchandise, everywhere is using the same stuff. What I meant is that it's only for distribution locally, unless there is a desperate call for some of it from another town. All I have is a badge and one of these....

There's a lot of them flying around the town.
My wife has gone daft though. She has pens, badges, wrist bands, stickers on her car, a shopping trolley (don't ask) and god knows what else I haven't discovered yet.

Reply #922

Bummer...would have loved to get some of the local versions of stuff. If you're up to it, could post a pic or two.

Ah you've misunderstood me. It's not local versions of the merchandise, everywhere is using the same stuff. What I meant is that it's only for distribution locally, unless there is a desperate call for some of it from another town. All I have is a badge and one of these....

There's a lot of them flying around the town.
My wife has gone daft though. She has pens, badges, wrist bands, stickers on her car, a shopping trolley (don't ask) and god knows what else I haven't discovered yet.

And isn't Mrs. Luxor English originally? Well, they say that converts are often the greatest zealots... :D
Act like it!

Reply #923
And isn't Mrs. Luxor English originally?

Yes indeedy, English born and bred.
A fact I make well known whenever I see accusations that we only want independence because we hate the English.
Well, they say that converts are often the greatest zealots...

There may be some truth in that.

Reply #924
I think there is a sale going on in the hospital that is attracting the crazies.   :o