Skip to main content
Topic: Random Chat (Read 461082 times)

Re: Random Chat

Reply #802
So… I don't think I can answer that. I guess the question is heavily processed and salted beef or heavily processed and salted pork. My answer's neither.

Just wait until you ever find yourself shipwrecked and the only provisions you have left are a tin of each. Then you'll change your tune. 

I choose corned beef. ..just because I haven't eaten any in years

So that's 3 of us that don't buy it. So who the heck does? 
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #803
Just wait until you ever find yourself shipwrecked and the only provisions you have left are a tin of each. Then you'll change your tune.

If I prepared the ship before it wrecked it'll have loads of tins containing somewhat more palatable stuff like fish (e.g., salmon, mackerel, sardines), green beans, kidney beans, carrots, etc. Any corned beef would be something of a stowaway.

Reply #804
If I prepared the ship before it wrecked

Haven't you seen the movies, that's not how it works.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #805
Depends on what I was doing on the ship. :P

Reply #806
I ate some spam once. It wasn't as bad as I had been led to believe.
I never did it again.

Reply #807

I ate some spam once. It wasn't as bad as I had been led to believe.
I never did it again.

I have never tried it. It never looked appetizing to me.

Reply #808
Re-reading the posts about corned beef and spam makes me wonder what Northern Hemisphere corned beef actually is.
What I call corned beef could hardly be described as heavily  processed. Makes a first-rate sandwich, with or without sliced tomato.

Reply #809

Wise decision, you'd probably get more enjoyment from eating a lump of lard. 
Re-reading the posts about corned beef and spam makes me wonder what Northern Hemisphere corned beef actually is.

There's two kinds of corned beef available here. One that a butcher will make himself, a nice bit of brisket cured in brine  with additional flavour added by the butcher in his own "secret" recipe. It's good, slices well and still looks like beef, it's ideal for a sandwich.

Then you have the off the shelf stuff in a tin. Which is a sort of compressed mash full of salt and fat and I doubt that there's very much actual beef content. It's cheap and OK in an emergency I suppose, but that's about it.

Reply #810
Quote from: Luxor link=topic=14.msme31#msg21231 date=1401968077

:yuck: I hate fat! Also, I think I never tried spam because my kid's father loved it. There wasn't much I liked about him.  :lol:

Reply #811
I hate fat!

Meat needs fat for the taste though and to keep it moist. A beefburger with no fat in it would be like eating a lump of cardboard. 
I never tried spam because my kid's father loved it. There wasn't much I liked about him.

Not much I can say to that.  :)) 

Reply #812
There's two kinds of corned beef available here. One that a butcher will make himself, a nice bit of brisket cured in brine  with additional flavour added by the butcher in his own "secret" recipe. It's good, slices well and still looks like beef, it's ideal for a sandwich.

Then you have the off the shelf stuff in a tin. Which is a sort of compressed mash full of salt and fat and I doubt that there's very much actual beef content. It's cheap and OK in an emergency I suppose, but that's about it.

In Dutch the loanword cornedbeef refers exclusively to the latter kind, and I actually wasn't aware the original English term could also refer to "real" meat. Does something similar apply to spam? Btw, I'm pretty sure "regular" (um, canned) corned beef also contains gelatin to keep the mush together. Then again, these days "real" cuts of meat are apparently also glued together.

The first kind, the real meat, is probably some variety of pekelvlees. I'm sure you can recognize a cognate of pickle in there, but pekel refers only to brine.

Meat needs fat for the taste though and to keep it moist. A beefburger with no fat in it would be like eating a lump of cardboard.

Eh, it needs some fat. I've always cut off the fat from e.g. karbonade (cutlet),* and cheaper sausages as well as corned beef somehow seem to have way more fat than you would expect from even the worst cuts of meat.

* NB After cooking; it's important for flavor while cooking.

Reply #813
Does something similar apply to spam?

Don't think so, in all my years as a butcher I never came across it if it does exist. 
Eh, it needs some fat. I've always cut off the fat from e.g. karbonade (cutlet),*

It naturally tenderises the meat so I would always leave the fat on it for cooking. Of course after it's cooked, if you don't like it then you can cut it off.
Cut it off mine though and I'll chop your hands off. 
cheaper sausages as well as corned beef somehow seem to have way more fat than you would expect from even the worst cuts of meat.

Yes, sausages are the worst. Fat, rusks and water is about all you'll find in the very cheap sausages. There will be some meat in them, but probably best if you didn't ask what part of the animal the meat the meat came from.

Reply #814

Bingo. The former is what an Antipodean would call corned beef and the latter sounds like the bovine analogue of Spam.
I have never seen it but I will look today and see if it exists.

Reply #815
There will be some meat in them, but probably best if you didn't ask what part of the animal the meat the meat came from.

That part I probably wouldn't mind. Well, unless you mean it includes something like ground up bones.

Reply #816

Does something similar apply to spam?

Don't think so, in all my years as a butcher I never came across it if it does exist. 

I do recall my grandfather telling me about the days when the mid-western plains here in the US used to be covered with the wild spamelopes. Their herds would cover the plains as far as the eye could see.
But course, once they were nearly canned out of existence, the EPA stepped in and now there's only the farm-raised variety left. Sad, sad tale...
You are the result of 3.8 billion years of evolutionary success.
Act like it!

Reply #817

There will be some meat in them, but probably best if you didn't ask what part of the animal the meat the meat came from.

That part I probably wouldn't mind. Well, unless you mean it includes something like ground up bones.

Ground up bones?
Hehehe...ok, tell yourself that's the worst that could end up in them. There's a reason for that old adage "don't ask how the sausage is made". The reason is that someone may answer...
Act like it!

Reply #818
Hehehe...ok, tell yourself that's the worst that could end up in them. There's a reason for that old adage "don't ask how the sausage is made". The reason is that someone may answer...

If you're referring to things like brain, eyes, offal, testicles, meat extracted by centrifuging the carcass or the fact that a proper sausage is made with intestines… really, I don't mind. But even though I'd be fine with it, I'm quite sure none of those except the centrifuged meat parts are actually present.

What that leaves of animal origin that I'd have a problem with is extraneous fat, the skin, the original contents of the intestines, the original contents of the stomach, and the bones (excluding bone marrow, obviously).

Reply #819
the latter sounds like the bovine analogue of Spam.
I have never seen it but I will look today and see if it exists.

It was a staple ration given to the army in WWII, so my father told me. Bully beef was what they called it.
I do recall my grandfather telling me about the days when the mid-western plains here in the US used to be covered with the wild spamelopes. Their herds would cover the plains as far as the eye could see.
But course, once they were nearly canned out of existence, the EPA stepped in and now there's only the farm-raised variety left. Sad, sad tale...

Very good. You put some thought into that one.
Nurse!!! He's forgotten to take take his medication again.

Reply #820
I can always count on the ER for some late night entertainment. I was sent to the ER to help out for a bit. Just in time to see the aftermath of a stupid idea. Sometimes I wish I could climb into other's brains and see what they see. Will I still want to smh?

Reply #821
I can always count on the ER for some late night entertainment.

I bet you could tell us a few tales.  But that would be unethical so you can't.
I was sent to the ER to help out for a bit. Just in time to see the aftermath of a stupid idea.

That's not fair, you lure us in but don't supply the juicy bits.

Sometimes I wish I could climb into other's brains and see what they see.

Probably for the best that you can't do that. It could be scary in there.

Will I still want to smh?

SMH?

Reply #822

I can always count on the ER for some late night entertainment. I was sent to the ER to help out for a bit. Just in time to see the aftermath of a stupid idea. Sometimes I wish I could climb into other's brains and see what they see. Will I still want to smh?

Well, if you're in their head, don't smh, sth (smack their head)...hehehe...
Act like it!

Reply #823

I bet you could tell us a few tales.  But that would be unethical so you can't.

As long as names are not involved it's ok.

That's not fair, you lure us in but don't supply the juicy bits.

:lol: Since I like to be fair....... A man presented himself in the ER with a laceration on top of his head, two swollen eyes and blood everywhere. Come to find out, this man was standing on top of a barn with a, cooler size, container of water. When he went to pour it on his wife's head, who was down on the ground, he fell off the roof landing on the container and hit his head on the ground. Pretty much head first all the way. The container broke his fall to where he didn't land directly on his head. What made him believe this would be a good idea?

[SMH?

Shaking my head.

Well, if you're in their head, don't smh, sth (smack their head)...hehehe...

:lol: Oh yes! Right!

Reply #824
A man presented himself in the ER with a laceration on top of his head, two swollen eyes and blood everywhere. Come to find out, this man was standing on top of a barn with a, cooler size, container of water. When he went to pour it on his wife's head, who was down on the ground, he fell off the roof landing on the container and hit his head on the ground. Pretty much head first all the way. The container broke his fall to where he didn't land directly on his head.

Shouldn't laugh at others misfortune but sometimes some people deserve it.
What made him believe this would be a good idea?

Must have been a little voice in his head told him to do it. There's just no other reason possible.