Skip to main content
Topic: Random Chat (Read 461115 times)

Re: Random Chat

Reply #700
Makes sense. Most people that are on the verge of getting sick from too much consumption of alcohol might drink water to speed up the process. Lol

Ah! that's where I was going wrong in my youth. If I felt sick from too much alcohol I had some more.    :P
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #701

Plain white rice is also a good remedy for nausea...

Not a fan of rice myself, once in a blue moon if the fancy takes me is about it. Even then I wouldn't have it plain, it would have to be spicy or flavoured with something just to get me to eat it. Which is probably not the recommended way to eat it when you have nausea.  :faint:

Clearly the only way you and I will ever share a meal is if we go to an establishment with an extensive buffet... :lol:
But yes, the seasoning would sort of defeat the purpose of relieving nausea. I do cheat a bit and add a little butter. But point is, it's good for nausea; enjoying it is secondary...

You are the result of 3.8 billion years of evolutionary success.
Act like it!

Reply #702

Makes sense. Most people that are on the verge of getting sick from too much consumption of alcohol might drink water to speed up the process. Lol

Ah! that's where I was going wrong in my youth. If I felt sick from too much alcohol I had some more.    :P

Actually, I always drank water to help re-hydrate, since alcohol stops the pituitary gland from producing vasopressin (an anti-diarrhetic hormone). That's why, when you're out drinking, your output can be up to 4 times your intake.

And just so I don't come off like a big smarty-pants, this little knugget of knowledge was acquired courtesy of http://testtube.com/brainstuff/hangovers/
Act like it!

Reply #703

Actually, I always drank water to help re-hydrate, since alcohol stops the pituitary gland from producing vasopressin (an anti-diarrhetic hormone). That's why, when you're out drinking, your output can be up to 4 times your intake.

And just so I don't come off like a big smarty-pants, this little knugget of knowledge was acquired courtesy of http://testtube.com/brainstuff/hangovers/

Quite right. Alcohol does dehydrate you. I was given water when I was t-totally trashed on numerous occasions and it got me even sicker. Push all those toxins out fairly quickly. :whistle: Some people will drink water right before or during their consumption of alcoholic beverages to keep from getting a hangover. If you ever go to a hospital with nausea and vomiting they'll strongly suggest staying away from water though. Not everyone's body reacts the same to substances, whether it be  alcohol, water, meds....etc. Water sometimes isn't enough to re-hydrate. Depends on the degree of the illness. Increasing the amount of electrolytes in your body is important to sustain hydration. Water just isn't enough sometimes.

Reply #704
Clearly the only way you and I will ever share a meal is if we go to an establishment with an extensive buffet...

Fine by me if you're paying.  :P  Just let me know the time and place and I'll see if I'm free.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #705
Why do kids insist on watching the same movie repeatedly? I mean, does it ever get old?  :rolleyes:

Reply #706

Why do kids insist on watching the same movie repeatedly? I mean, does it ever get old?  :rolleyes:

I've seen the first X-Men movie at least 5 times, and since I bought 3 of the X-Men movie series I'm planning to watch at least one of 'em again tomorrow. :P

Reply #707
Why do kids insist on watching the same movie repeatedly? I mean, does it ever get old?

It's not just kids. I've lost count of the number of times I've walked into the room and my wife is sitting there watching some film, where she more than likely knows the dialogue off by heart, as she's watched it so often. I just can't get my head around that at all.
I've seen the first X-Men movie at least 5 times, and since I bought 3 of the X-Men movie series I'm planning to watch at least one of 'em again tomorrow.

We've gotta find you a girlfriend.  :P 

Reply #708

Why do kids insist on watching the same movie repeatedly? I mean, does it ever get old?

It's not just kids. I've lost count of the number of times I've walked into the room and my wife is sitting there watching some film, where she more than likely knows the dialogue off by heart, as she's watched it so often. I just can't get my head around that at all.
I've seen the first X-Men movie at least 5 times, and since I bought 3 of the X-Men movie series I'm planning to watch at least one of 'em again tomorrow.

We've gotta find you a girlfriend.  :P

I have watched the same movie multiple times too, however, they will watch the same movie everyday several times a day if you let them. After two days of that I wouldn't want to watch that particular movie for years, if at all. lol

Reply #709
I have watched the same movie multiple times too, however, they will watch the same movie everyday several times a day if you let them.

They are just being normal kids. My friends went through the same with theirs and now they are going through it all again with their grandchildren.
History repeating itself, you have that to look forward to.

Reply #710
Oh grand!  :lol: Good thing that's YEARS down the road. Let's hope anyways.

Reply #711
Quote from: Luxor
We've gotta find you a girlfriend.

:D :whistle:

Quote from: Mandi
I have watched the same movie multiple times too, however, they will watch the same movie everyday several times a day if you let them.

Don't think I can watch the same movie everyday. Although I probably have done that when I was a kid :)

Reply #712
Oh grand!   :))  Good thing that's YEARS down the road. Let's hope anyways.

Maybe you'll be lucky and this film fascination might skip a generation.

Reply #713
Nooo! I broke the stem on one of my pipes. 
Good excuse to buy a churchwarden pipe though, as I've always fancied one of them.

Reply #714

Good excuse to buy a churchwarden pipe though, as I've always fancied one of them.

How did you manage to break a pipe stem?
Act like it!

Reply #715

Pure carelessness on my part.
I was cleaning my pipe and didn't notice that it had fallen onto the floor, couldn't see it so I stood up. Think you can guess the rest... 

Fortunately it was an old and fairly cheap one, so not a great loss, still a decent pipe though. It would have been much worse if it had been one of my other 2, then I would have been really crying. 

Reply #716

Something like this? I'm pretty sure this is a churchwarden pipe used in the movie Lord of the Rings. :sherlock:

Reply #717
When I smoked, I wanted one of these.

Finally I bought one and it was a huge let-down.
Serves me right for smoking in the first place

Reply #718
Something like this? I'm pretty sure this is a churchwarden pipe used in the movie Lord of the Rings.

Yep! That's the sort of thing Syav. 

In what way was it a let-down? I fancied something similar once, but never got round to it. Think it was the price that put me off.

Reply #719

Pure carelessness on my part.
I was cleaning my pipe and didn't notice that it had fallen onto the floor, couldn't see it so I stood up. Think you can guess the rest... 

Fortunately it was an old and fairly cheap one, so not a great loss, still a decent pipe though. It would have been much worse if it had been one of my other 2, then I would have been really crying.

Have you considered/tried clay? http://www.dawnmist.org/pipesale.htm
And here's a nice selection of traditional wood...http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/churchwarden-pipes/
Act like it!

Reply #720
Have you considered/tried clay? http://www.dawnmist.org/pipesale.htm

Fragile things them. I could guarantee a clay pipe would last me about 5 minutes before I managed to break it.
My grandmother used to smoke one I believe, though I never saw her smoking it. But there was a few old black and white family photographs and there she was with her pipe, puffing away like a steam train.
And here's a nice selection of traditional wood...http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/churchwarden-pipes/

Fortunately there's a good selection available over here too. It's the tobacco itself that takes some searching for here, especially if you're looking for something different.

Reply #721

Something like this? I'm pretty sure this is a churchwarden pipe used in the movie Lord of the Rings.

In what way was it a let-down? I fancied something similar once, but never got round to it. Think it was the price that put me off.

The meerschaum pipe seemed to be always wet. I can't really explain it.

Reply #723
Quote from: tt92
The meerschaum pipe seemed to be always wet. I can't really explain it.

I've only had 3 months experience with smoking pipe, so I wouldn't know either. My guess is that your pipe somehow became condense when in use, but perhaps Luxor would know better. :)

Quote from: Luxor

That's a classy! :yes: Does it take a little bit to get used to, because of it's length? :sherlock: