Skip to main content
Topic: Random Chat (Read 461186 times)

Re: Random Chat

Reply #450
Do you know what they do to people that blow covers?

I've heard rumours. Not nice, not nice at all.  
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #452
http://www.examiner.com/article/owners-of-a-kentucky-haunted-hospital-plan-to-make-it-a-haunted-hotel

Just read where they plan on re- opening Waverly Hills Sanatorium as a haunted hotel. If you are not familiar with this establishment, it was built in the early 1900s to accommodate tuberculosis patients during the epidemic. Commonly known as the most haunted place in the world. Would you dare?

Reply #454
Commonly known as the most haunted place in the world. Would you dare?

No problem for two simple reasons.
1. I don't believe in ghosts. So do your worst ghosties. 
2. It's some of the living, not the dead that I'm scared of.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #456
You do have a point. There are a lot of crazies in this world.

You can say that again. I bet you've met more than your fair share in your line of work.

Reply #457

You do have a point. There are a lot of crazies in this world.

You can say that again. I bet you've met more than your fair share in your line of work.

Oh my, yes!  It's quite shocking. I've seen more and more cases of suicidal patients over the last year than in the 8 years I've been there. I'm not sure if it was due to implimenting new policies/guidelines that have to be carried out with those types or we just never screened for them in the past.  Just last year they opened the Geriatric psych unit. Primarily, it's used for the elderly with mental disorders such as, bipolar, depression, skitz,  dementia, etc... The doctor's focus is to try and straighten out medications so these people can function in public whether that be an assisted living, retirement village, nursing homes and in the general public. I'm not a fan of this floor. Every time I work GP I get hit and kicked. Last week I had a man that was in his 60s that was verbally/physically abusive toward anyone he encountered. I thought he was going to break my arm at one point. By morning it was apparent that this man knew exactly what he was doing, no confusion about it. He was just an arsehole. As I was trying to comb a little old ladies hair, out of nowhere, she smack me in the face. Also, while assisting another lady out of bed, all was fine and dandy until someone else walked into the room to help. I was then punched in the ribs. I could not handle that all the time.   (Oops sorry for the novel) 

Reply #458
Sounds like much the same stuff as my friend who is a psychiatric nurse tells me about.
He told me of one incident when a patient in his 80's attacked him with a walking stick, all he was doing was walking past him. Not the sort of thing you should have to put up with at your place of work, but I suppose it's to be expected in some cases though.

Reply #459
You can pretty much pin point the crazies on admission. I had to help a nurse once that was getting hit with a cane. The funny part was my sister gave the patient the cane not knowing what was about to happen. We laugh about it now. Makes for some good stories. I have plenty of them.  :D

Side note: The kiddos have been out of school all week and I've had the luxury of watching my eldest niece the past few days.They have semi gotten on my nerves so I sent them out for a good ol' fashioned snowball fight. Who knew snow could be so therapeutic?! Hehe   ;)

Reply #460
I had to help a nurse once that was getting hit with a cane. The funny part was my sister gave the patient the cane not knowing what was about to happen.

I shouldn't laugh but.....
The kiddos have been out of school all week and I've had the luxury of watching my eldest niece the past few days.

School holiday time I'm guessing.
They have semi gotten on my nerves so I sent them out for a good ol' fashioned snowball fight.

Good plan, that should tire them out for a while, if you're lucky anyway.

Who knew snow could be so therapeutic?! Hehe

Therapeutic for who though, you or the kids?   :P

Reply #461

The kiddos have been out of school all week and I've had the luxury of watching my eldest niece the past few days.

School holiday time I'm guessing.

Actually they've been out for a legit snow day. Not just because snow/ice was in the forecast.

Who knew snow could be so therapeutic?! Hehe

Therapeutic for who though, you or the kids?   :P

Maybe both?  :whistle: And I just had to open my mouth. The lady that smacked me across the face last week is now on my floor and has already attempted to hurt me. Poor thing doesn't stand a chance.

Reply #462
Actually they've been out for a legit snow day. Not just because snow/ice was in the forecast.

Never got snow days when I was at school. That was a privilege only the kids that lived more than 5 miles away in the countryside got. Those of us left in the class envied them.

And I just had to open my mouth. The lady that smacked me across the face last week is now on my floor and has already attempted to hurt me. Poor thing doesn't stand a chance.

:))  Won't be a fair fight as you've probably had training to deal with patients like that.

Reply #463
Actually we are not trained to tolerate that type of behavior. Self-control is key there. I've seen some rather pissed off nursing staff while I'm just laughing. Don't get me wrong, I have had to set some people straight and it has helped with some unruly patients. One case in particular comes to mind.... a young man that comes in quite frequently always kicks nurses and other help out where he doesn't do me that way. I set him straight way back when I first started taking car of him. (Not in a mean way but stern) Since then he has no issues with me. Some people just need a reality check at times.

Reply #464
Actually we are not trained to tolerate that type of behavior.

Wow! I must say I'm surprised.
a young man that comes in quite frequently always kicks nurses and other help out where he doesn't do me that way. I set him straight way back when I first started taking car of him. (Not in a mean way but stern)

Seems like a better way to deal with it I must admit.  :up:
Some people just need a reality check at times.

Ain't that the truth.  :)

I think the problem over here is health and safety rules seem to override common sense. My friend who is the psych nurse has to go on regular health and safety courses the majority of which seems to involve how to restrain violent patients. There's not been any patient harmed as far as I know, but if your training people for that then surely the risk to patients is there. All it would take is a member of staff to be having a very bad day for whatever reason, then restraint could quickly turn into an assault.  :(

Reply #465
Well we do have annual competencies that require us to prove that we know how to tie a slipknot for restraint purposes, proper body mechanics and how to keep the patient safe. I've never had a class to teach me reactions toward an unruly patient though, only when it is an apporpriate time to use a certain type of restraint. Contrary to what most people might think, restraints are last resort and are not for poor behavior unless it directly interferes with treatment. For example, I would have to get a doctors consent to place restraints on a patient that might potentially pull out an IV, peg tube, NG tube or catheters...etc. No doctor would restrain a violent patient. Those types get security called, get sent home or medicated for agitation. Mentally unstable patient's become the exception if they are of the '6404' status, in which they are deemed crazy (for the lack of a better term) and lose their rights all together. They have to be closely monitor by one staff member around the clock until a sheriff arrives to have them transported to a psych facility. Wow! Health-care can be complicated.  Phew!  :lol:

Edit: As a healthcare worker, you have to learn to look past some people's behavior because emotions, pain and drug reactions can change any given person's tune. I've had many patients that become verbally abusive/just agitated from pain or drugs. Many have apologized for their behaviors after the fact.

Reply #466
I'd be a good case for sedation. I would go nuts if someone tied me down.

Reply #467

I'd be a good case for sedation. I would go nuts if someone tied me down.

As would many. I included. You'd have to give them a legit reason to do so.  ;)
I'm sure that would also depend on who/why you would be getting tied down. You might like it at times. :P

Reply #468
I'm sure that would also depend on who/why you would be getting tied down. You might like it at times.

I'm sure you would be able to find people willing to pay for the privilege too, if you looked in the right places that is.

Reply #469
I once spoke to a 16-year-old (or maybe it was 17… not 18, anyway) who claimed to be working in such a place. :right:

Reply #470
I once spoke to a 16-year-old (or maybe it was 17… not 18, anyway) who claimed to be working in such a place.

Did you quickly change the subject or did you get the address?

Reply #471
Really?! Wouldn't catch me dead in one.

Reply #472

I think your safe, if you were dead you probably wouldn't get in. 

Reply #474

:lol: I just fell over laughing. Thanks.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Some people like being tied up, others like— :rip: :insane:

So true. Some people have odd fetishes.