Skip to main content
Topic: The Death Penalty (Read 17610 times)

Re: The Death Penalty

Reply #26

We have several countries represented here, each with its own approach to this matter, so there should be lots of views on it. Maybe you agree with the approach in your country or maybe you don't.

The question is;

When can a Death Sentence be appropriate punishment?

I think you may have begged the question when you referred to it as "punishment".

Reply #27
A death sentence isn't punishment. Life in prison without a chance of parole is punishment.

Putting a pedophile in prison...now, that's real punishment. Prison justice can be brutal.

Reply #31
My bad. I should have said that that's vacations for gang leaders and their followers. Criminals without protection (pedophiles for instance) inside a jail are really in a bit of a trouble.

Reply #32

We have several countries represented here, each with its own approach to this matter, so there should be lots of views on it. Maybe you agree with the approach in your country or maybe you don't.

The question is;

I think you may have begged the question when you referred to it as "punishment".

Hi tt - you mean in the sense that it might not be a punishment? For suicidal criminals with a fetish for exhibitionism I suppose!  :)

Reply #33

The question is;

Hi tt - you mean in the sense that it might not be a punishment? For suicidal criminals with a fetish for exhibitionism I suppose!  :)

No.
I meant that the way the question was phrased already assumed that the purpose of a penalty was to punish.

Reply #34
Oh I see what you mean tt. Good point, there could be other reasons for the Death Penalty such as vengeance, political, probably others. in the ones I have mentioned I would not (from my viewpoint) expect there to be any defensible justification).a

Reply #35
there could be other reasons for the Death Penalty such as vengeance, political, probably others.

I think Belfrager eloquently explained the reasons for applying penalties to misbehavior. But in the case of some kind of sociopathic psychopath, preventing recidivism would be impossible except through continued imprisonment. I think you can probably build some kind of argument on that, although I would reject it for the same reasons as Belfrager.

Reply #36

The only thing that comes to mind is Alcatraz but I'm talking about more than just an island/prison.

I'm afraid Macallan meant something bigger than a small island/prison  :-X

Reply #37

The only thing that comes to mind is Alcatraz but I'm talking about more than just an island/prison.

I'm afraid Macallan meant something bigger than a small island/prison  :-X

As I'm sure he did. I was just saying the only thing that came to mind at the time. I'm not highly educated on history nor a lot of current events. That's why I asked what he was referring to. I strongly dislike watching the news. Something about all the negativity that comes from it puts me off.

Reply #38
There WAS an ISLAND. One of our users seems to descend from those bad guys having been gathered there əɹəɥмəшos;)

Reply #39
As an alternative to the death penalty, all so convicted criminals (the worst of the worst) shall be deemed by law to have forfeit all rights to any appeal.

They should be shipped off to:

[glow=black,2,300]Devil's Island [/glow]-- Île du Diable, Île Royale, & Île Saint-Joseph =  Îles du Salut

These Islands should be bought, & then the most heinous convicted criminals should be sent there to rot, as their entry point into the bowels of hell for all eternity.

This Penal Colony Group are for those who, based on their crime(s), don't deserve to be returned into society for any reason whatsoever.

These islands should be reserved for severe punishment through hard physical labor, & the lowest of all human living conditions permissible under law.

No prisoner should ever be permitted to return from there --- ever.

Reply #40
Too much effort for nothing. Just get rid of them. I prefer my taxes to be applied in something useful.

Reply #41

Too much effort for nothing. Just get rid of them. I prefer my taxes to be applied in something useful.

I understand that because of all the appeals etc. involved in applying the death penalty, it's not actually any cheaper than keeping someone under lock and key for decades.

Reply #43

I understand that because of all the appeals etc. involved in applying the death penalty, it's not actually any cheaper than keeping someone under lock and key for decades.

Yeah, special facilities and whatnot, much more expensive than regular prison.

That said...
The growing randomness of execution protocols forced by the boycott has led to parallels being drawn with 1972, when the US supreme court imposed a moratorium on the death penalty across the country. The highest judicial panel in the nation ruled in Furman v Georgia that capital punishment was so inconsistent in its application in different parts of the US that it was unconstitutional.

The court lifted the moratorium in 1976 after death penalty states promised to adhere to new guidelines. One of the changes that emerged was the use of pharmaceuticals in lethal injections that were first used to kill Charles Brooks in Texas in 1982.

The current mayhem over lethal injections has led some prominent public figures to say that the US supreme court should consider imposing a new moratorium. Former president Jimmy Carter told the Guardian last year: “It’s time for the supreme court to look at the totality of the death penalty once again.”

Full article here.

Reply #44

Like figuring out if they actually got the right people?

Reply #45
No.

Reply #46
It seems that many of you have an absolute trust on your justice system. I don't.

Regarding getting somewhere to send criminals, that's not a new idea. All colonial countries had some place like that.
One gets free of criminals, no expense (but for the boat trip) and bandits get a place where they can kill themselves freely without disturbing the good consciences.
The ostrich strategy, hiding the head below the ground. No see the problem, there's no problem...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #47

It seems that many of you have an absolute trust on your justice system. I don't.

Funny isn't it, how some people who wouldn't trust their governments with their kitchen trash, are all for letting that same government kill (semi) random citizens.

No see the problem, there's no problem...

Very common among management types.

Reply #48
If they'd let me do it like I was trained, & trained others to do it in VietNam (a bullet in the head or center mass), I'd eradicate anyone they (the State/Government) would contract me for, at a very minimal cost (hell, some I'd even consider doing for free  ) ............  I never had any complaints from the subject(s) either.