Skip to main content
Topic: Otter not working anymore (Read 5217 times)

Otter not working anymore

From one day to the next Otter has stopped working on my system. I can't see any reason for this behaviour. I did a full dist-upgrade last weekend but Otter still worked after that. The only packages that I upgraded recently were openssl and libssl1.0.0. I am not sure whether Otter still worked after that. But the problem with Otter is not restricted to https anyway, Otter seems not to send any demand to the internet (according to netspeed applet). I purged otter-browser package and deleted the otter-folders in ~/.config and ~/cache then reinstalled. Didn't help. I tried vivid79 instead of utopic79, no difference. Other browsers work as usual. Any idea?

Re: Otter not working anymore

Reply #1
@py-thon, you are using packages from PPA?
Is there any output on console when running otter-browser from there?
You might need to update Qt, if there are updates.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
Yes, I use the deb-files from weekly-ppa. I used the install from otter-browser_0.9.07-dev79-1~utopic~ppa1_amd64.deb before and after the dist-upgrade without problem. Yesterday morning Otter worked, yesterday afternoon Otter suddenly didn't work anymore.

I checked the log files against Otter's cache. As for the upgrade of openssl/libssl1.0.0 Otter still worked after that. I also purged an old kernel which I had not used since 2014 and Otter still worked after that.

The only other thing I did was add the "save"-icon to Otter's navigation bar. It might be that after the next time I started Otter it didn't work anymore. But I am not sure about that and it doesn't make sense as a fresh install of Otter doesn't solve the problem.

Currently there are no qt-updates available for testing (and Otter did work with the qt-packages installed).

Console gives:
Code: [Select]
Warning: QSqlDatabase: QSQLITE driver not loaded ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QSqlDatabase: available drivers:  ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QSqlQuery::exec: database not open ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::subWindowActivated(QMdiSubWindow*) to Otter::WorkspaceWidget::activeSubWindowChanged(QMdiSubWindow*) ((null):0, (null))

Reply #3
I tried with otter-browser-git_0.9.99~git20150714+r6~ubuntu14.10.1_amd64.deb but this doesn't work either. Console output is slightly different:
Warning: QSqlDatabase: QSQLITE driver not loaded ((null):0, (null))
Warning: QSqlDatabase: available drivers:  ((null):0, (null))

Reply #4
@py-thon, I have no idea yet, which Qt version are you using?
According to that output you are missing libqt5sql5-sqlite (so you don't have working global history), I'll add it to dependencies.

Reply #5
That's strange. After installng the mentioned package everything works fine again. Thanks. But it had worked before without that package, including history.
I am using qt5-packages from Debian Testing. Currently that's version 5.4.2.

Reply #6
It gets even stranger.
Yesterday after installing libqt5sql5-sqlite Otter worked fine. Today (that's to say after a restart of the PC) Otter doesn't work anymore. It's the same problem as before, the program starts but doesn't send anything. Starting Otter from console doesn't give any errors or warnings this time.

Edit:
I purged Otter, deleted its folders in ~/.config and ~/.cache, reinstalled otter-browser_0.9.07-dev80-1~vivid~ppa1_amd64.deb and Otter still didn't work.
Then I purged and deleted again, restarted the PC and reinstalled otter-browser_0.9.07-dev80-1~vivid~ppa1_amd64.deb. Otter works, but I'm afraid that it won't after the next restart.

Edit 2:
Same problem after a restart. Otter starts without errors or warnings but doesn't send anything.

Reply #7
I think I found the reason/solution even if I don't completely understand the technical background  :)
Fresh installs of Otter don't produce ~/.config/otter.conf (anymore?) which used to contain
[Proxy]
SocksPort=0

Without this Otter can't connect to the modem/internet but for some reason this doesn't matter immediately after a fresh install, only after the next restart.
So using the old otter.conf everything works now, even after a restart.

Reply #8
otter.conf was not the reason, the problem is back again.

Edit: I don't know whether there is a relation but Otter did not delete cookies after the end of the last working session (which it should according to my settings). After deleting the cookies Otter worked again. Don't know for how long though.

Edit 2: After the next system restart Otter is not working anymore. So it wasn't libqt5sql5-sqlite, it wasn't otter.conf and it wasn't the cookies either. I am at a loss for ideas now.

Reply #9
@py-thon, I can prepare patch would help to determine reason for this issue.
It could be somehow caused by combining packages from different sources, while Qt is backwards compatible there was some issue recently in Qt 5.4 which broke it for several minor releases.
So I would suggest creating own package against your current Qt packages, you can use cmake and cpack to generate DEB package.

Reply #10
That would be nice but will only work with a detailed manual on how to do that. So far I never succeeded in compiling anything. There were always cryptic messages of this problem or that and in the end I gave up and waited for the package to turn up as deb.

Reply #12
The dependencies were never a problem when compiling. But the compiling as such always resulted in some error message telling me something had gone wrong while compiling, no matter whether I used make + checkinstall or dh_make + fakeroot.

By the way: today after start up Otter worked fine. No way to understand why it does sometimes and doesn't other times.

Reply #13
Now it doesn't work anymore.
What happened:
Otter worked, then my internet connection collapsed, happens sometimes. After reestablishing the connection I tried to reload the partially loaded page and got "Error 8 The specified configuration cannot be used.". Typing other adresses this happened as well. So I had to close Otter. Starting Otter again it didn't work anymore.

Reply #14
@py-thon, try compiling, in case of debug patch you will need to do that anyway.

Reply #15
I tried, but as usual it starts with some error I don't understand:
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:73 (find_package):
  By not providing "FindQt5.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
  asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5", but
  CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5" (requested
  version 5.2.0) with any of the following names:

Qt5Config.cmake
    qt5-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "Qt5" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set "Qt5_DIR"
  to a directory containing one of the above files.  If "Qt5" provides a
  separate development package or SDK, be sure it has been installed.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Edit: For no apparent reason Otter works right now. No system restart in between.

Reply #16
@py-thon, you need to install at least these packages:

cmake,
qtbase5-dev (>=5.2.0),
libqt5webkit5-dev (>=5.1.0),
qtdeclarative5-dev (>=5.2.0),
qtscript5-dev (>=5.2.0),
qtmultimedia5-dev (>=5.2.0),
libqt5sql5-sqlite (>=5.2.0)

Reply #17
Thanks for the information.
Including the dependencies of those six packages it's a total of 51 new packages to install and a dozen to update to be able to compile. I think I better postpone that for a week with more time on my hands.