Skip to main content
Topic: Upcoming Server Move (Read 7929 times)

Upcoming Server Move

There will be an interruption of service for a short while within the next day or two. :)

Re: Upcoming Server Move

Reply #1
Good to know.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #2
We're moving to Iran?

Reply #3
I hope so. Europe it's full of nazis let's turn Persians.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #4
How short?

Reply #5
I really couldn't say. Hopefully no more than an hour, plus of course there's the DNS propagation stuff.

Reply #6
Bon Voyage DnD Sanctuary. Have a safe trip!

Reply #8

Bon Voyage DnD Sanctuary. Have a safe trip!

More like this:

Yes, that's me. Frenzie is below deck making sure the server is alright :right:
String is doing navigation, I guess that's why we're moving backwards :left:

Reply #9
Actually, North Korea

Finally...
Let me see...

All American posters will be immediately arrested. Good.
South Koreans will be executed but we don't have too much South Korean posters so I don't worry. Maybe Sparta will be confused with a South Korean but that's simply a matter of  "collateral effects" - as Americans says. Not too much of a lost.
The "Europeans"... he he, that you'll be funny.

On a more serious note, I think we should discuss again the problem of hosting services cost. If there's a problem with that we all should contribute. I'm open to such agreement.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #10
The server move is complete and seems to have been fairly uneventful. Please let me know if you notice anything out of the ordinary.

Reply #11
On a more serious note, I think we should discuss again the problem of hosting services cost. If there's a problem with that we all should contribute. I'm open to such agreement.

A good point. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to receive money?

Reply #12

A good point. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to receive money?

If you want lots of support from everyone, set up a Paypal account or such. If you really want open support, do more than just Paypal.

Otherwise it might suffice to publish your personal bank account - or a newly-created personal bank account to virtually separate it from your personal-personal bank account. If you don't want the bank account to be totally visible to everyone, hide it like the Test forum is hidden.

I think a sensible place for it is a "Contribute/Donate" Button/Section next to "T&C".

Btw, have we moved now? Edit: Ah, I see we have, uneventfully.

Reply #13
If you want lots of support from everyone, set up a Paypal account or such.

Well, lots of small support perhaps. ;) The needs are small.

Btw, have we moved now? Edit: Ah, I see we have, uneventfully.

The old site may still show up on some DNS servers for a little while yet. For instance, I believe that my own ISP's DNS servers didn't start pointing to the new server until 2-3 hours after the actual move. In that case you'd see a notice that the forum is in maintenance mode.

Reply #14
Maybe Sparta will be confused with a South Korea

well.. 

South Korea = West German
North Korea = East German

while  My People = Non-bloc  ( Non-Aligned Movement )   :beard:

Reply #15
I second Ersi's paypal nomination. That's how I support my favorite sports forum.
Let us know if you do that, Frenzie, and you can count on my support for sure.

(Can't wait for Howie to come back and ask what the hell Paypal is.   )

Reply #16
I'm willing to help, too.

Reply #17
Deal me in.

Reply #18
Thanks, guys. :) I'm not too fond of PayPal myself, but I'll have a look at it.

Reply #20
What about a yearly GoFundMe campaign?

Reply #23
There seems to be no shortage of ways to transfer given the account number to send it to. That wouldn't be my favorite option tho. Conversion rates seem to differ some across the spectrum.

Seems like an ok one here... https://www.xoom.com/belgium/send-money

Paypal is fine for me, if that's the way you go.

Reply #24
Paypal seems to be the obvious choice, otherwise wire transfer fees will cost more than what you try to send. At least for those of us outside the EU. Also, wire transfers are a pain in the arse.