Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: 2014-02-02, 15:57:14

Topic: Logo (Read 20417 times)

Re: Logo

Reply #25
The new logo is available! :D

Reply #26
I noticed. You know that would make a nice favicon too.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #28
We decided against it, although I did play with the idea.

[html]
The DnD Sanctuary
[/html]

Reply #30
Ask the Simple Machines people. :P I could remove it, but it doesn't seem to be in the way or anything.

Reply #31
About the header itself -- what about either enlarging the letters or resizing the image? It'd make all that more proportionate.
And try the old one, would you? Which is grey with shadows...

Reply #32

Ask the Simple Machines people. :P I could remove it, but it doesn't seem to be in the way or anything.
Nah, would you mind trying to swap the logo and the "hello+show" and 'search' sections in the script?
That "hide" hides the 'hello' (with "show"s!) and the Search now. While the logo stays...

Reply #33
It's not as easy as switching one variable because it'd hide itself. You could always make a userstyle:

Code: [Select]
#top_section{display:none}

Reply #34
I'm watching it now with Opera and I don't like the colours of the icon. The second half of the icon is near-illegible due to colours. (Not that I know how to fix it. I am near-colourblind.)

Reply #35
The right hand side? The darker colour is to emphasize the shaded side of the "shelter". I like it.

Reply #36

The right hand side? The darker colour is to emphasize the shaded side of the "shelter". I like it.
I also like the general idea as it was at first. But now with different colours around it the second half doesn't seem to have enough contrast.

Reply #37
I am near-colourblind.

Ah, right, the colors aren't greatly contrasted. Making the background color lighter might create the same issue with the white. Perhaps we should ask to see what it'd looks like with a small border or some such.

Reply #38

:(

Reply #39
Just to drop my opinion into the mix........

I think the new Logo is splendid ---- as is  .......  & the colors are fine  ------ as is. 

Some people, by nature, are being too gawdammn pedantic -----  in my humble opinion.

Reply #40
I love the new look and logo. Well done!

Reply #41

I am near-colourblind.

Ah, right, the colors aren't greatly contrasted. Making the background color lighter might create the same issue with the white. Perhaps we should ask to see what it'd looks like with a small border or some such.
Krake's images show that he understood my issue correctly. It's a subtle thing.

In the original image I liked that the two halves are not too greatly contrasted from each other, so that the letter-like figures in the logo could be read straightforwardly. This aspect of the design goes lost when the halves are too greatly contrasted from each other. Edit: In the original draft, both halves are darker than the background.

Anyway, don't worry too much about me. I mostly use Elinks, so I don't see images and thus have no real issues with contrasts and tints. It's just that the logo is a community engagement and this is how my input looks like now, totally destructive criticism.

Reply #42

Krake's images show that he understood my issue correctly. It's a subtle thing.

Thanks.
BTW, that was the only reason I've posted the images.
They are far from being perfect. I had to transform (low resolution) JPG into PNG with alpha transparency (using a freeware editor). The result is as it looks.

Reply #43
To put it once again in a perhaps clearer way, the issue I'm pointing out is this: In the original draft of the logo, the background was the lightest element. Now the background colour is in between the halves of the logo.

Reply #45
8)

Reply #47
Nice work krake :D I'd be happy with any of them. I agree that the colour balance has shifted a bit, although given the current background colour the white does ensure the logo stands out nicely. Maybe a v light blue instead of bright white, and the return of the shadows would soften the look and add some style. On the other hand the current logo has a less-is-more okms rzr thing going for it - also nice. Stuff for endless debates..

I suspect more experimenting with the logo and colour schemes will take place over time. Possibly different themes..
I sent Frans a favicon set so hopefully that will appear soon. Because a favicon is often on a white background the contrast between the logo colours is like the original b/w version.

Reply #49
ׂ