Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping an eye on Opera (Read 168841 times)

Re: Keeping an eye on Opera

Reply #600
I don't know what it means, but Opera is making a gaming browser.
It means a skin, I assume. Opera Coast is a Chrome skin for Mac. Opera Touch is a browser skin for Android. Etc.

Opera ASA makes skins these, not browsers. There are better skins out there.

Reply #602
It means limiting CPU/memory.
Something like settings for accelerators and such in IE and FF? Yup, that's innovation. Fine-grained performance controls would be welcome of course, but I expect coarse, clumsy, and crippled from Opera ASA, the way its allegedly inbuilt adblocking is. And I absolutely hate that video popout thingie.

Reply #603
The unusable Disqus system is being replaced with something better.

From now on, in addition to the usual comments section underneath the blog posts, you will be able to participate in the discussion directly on the Opera Forums. Moreover, blog posts on similar topics (like subsequent builds of a particular Opera version) can share the same comments thread – which means less noise and more productive discussions. If a similar question arises among people across different blog posts, we will also be able to direct you to an existing thread on the Opera Forums where your question might have already been answered.

Reply #604
Will you start commenting there now?

Reply #605
Doubtful. :)

Reply #607
If you want to see the unveiled plaque, try this article: https://sageneavis.no/nyheter/dette-er-helt-i-sarklasse/19.2395

(Was not there for the unveiling, Oslo is too far from Södertälje. The mentioned neighbouring hot dog kiosk has gotten its share of press attention, mainly because the other hot dog kiosks have disappeared during the last 20-25 years. Hotdog heaven on the streets of Oslo)

Reply #609
Looks like Opera irc has finally died. Corona killed it.

Reply #610
Huh, I never thought to check if that was still active.

Reply #611
Oh, it is back online along with my few leftover friends. It was just another temporary glitch.

Reply #613
Today I saw a youtuber being sponsored (and therefore promoting) the Opera browser. So I looked up how the browser is doing. It's got features like tab islands, browser ai (integration with chatgpt), vpn, adblocker, builtin messengers (Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram, Twitter), sync, music player ("world of podcasts at your fingertips"), pinboards (in-browser screenshots), cryptowallet.

Basically, promoted bookmarks are back (if they ever went away). I consider builtin messengers and music player as promoted bookmarks. Integrated vpn could be interesting and useful for some people. The rest not. Adblocker is very likely a full-on lie and cryptowallet a non-feature.

Then I took a look at their blog too. It only announces releases. Under the latest release, in addition to miscellaneous bugs, people complain about a noisy splash screen that they don't know how to turn off. Splash screen......

What's missing is a mention of window management. Window management is one of the awesome features of old Opera, to see pages side by side in various ways, and it's great to still have it in Vivaldi. Emacs and Vim can both do it, but Chropera apparently cannot anymore.