Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping an eye on Opera (Read 169378 times)

Re: Keeping an eye on Opera

Reply #475
Opera was a great browser, but I think the minute they started striping their unique features, they lost their soul and what they where all about. :( I hope the new owners can see how innovating and unique Opera was.

Here's a Facebok message from Jon.

Reply #476
Or on a somewhat more open platform than Facebook:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm4qksX8-FM[/video]

360 is among my kill-on-sight brand of software, first thing I remove on a machine. They make Norton look friendly and clean in comparison.

Reply #479
New Opera beta reintroduces one of the uses of <9.2 detach.

This feature allows you to shift your video frame to the side of your screen, so that you can truly multitask: browse the comments, look for something in another tab or even prepare a presentation without missing out on the video action. Drag and toss your video around the screen, place it wherever you like, and close it immediately should the need arise.

Reply #480
No, it's not the good old True detach. It's more like the Android 5 (Lollipop) style floating thingie. The resemblance to True detach is there, but not direct. In True detach you could detach absolutely any tab.

Either way, I so very much hoped Otter could beat them to this feature...

Reply #481
I said one of the uses of detach. ;) Although for this particular use, it actually works better.

Reply #482
There is just one purpose to True detach: Create a small floating frameless tab with content that you recurrently get back to either for reference or as entertaining background noise. Well, I also used to true-detach the mail composer so I could easily copy contents from webpage tabs and whatever other windows. What more uses do you know to True detach?

Reply #483
I also often used it for taking screenshots with Alt + Print Screen.

Reply #484
Fantastic. So, there are uses to True detach. This Chropera's invention is just a video popout. To their credit, they named it appropriately.

Reply #485
I hadn't seen this yet, but Opera is finally fixing up their stupid whatever it's called useless news thingy.[1]

http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016/04/first-opera-developer-38/
Are you tired of browsing multiple portals and sites?
Imagine news that’s personalized and fit your needs – you decide what is shown. You can pick your favorite sites from the over 8,000 sources we offer. Your fresh news is instantly updated and always handy. New articles that appear are bigger to show you what’s important. You can browse from categories for content sources based in different countries. This can be really helpful for those of you who like traveling. If you’re interested in cricket, you won’t have to comb through all the sports articles. We’ll deliver only the stuff from your favourite website, based on the sources you’ve selected. You can choose the sources you trust. How does that sound?
Their Discover thing might've been okay-ish if only there were an easy way to disable a particular news source as opposed to only offering categories. Sounds like this might be it. NB I mean on my cellphone. On my desktop I'll obviously continue not using it.

Reply #486
When you try to play e.g. Youtube on Opera Mini on Android, it offers the video popout - just like Android Video and Youtube apps themselves have been doing for some time. I guess this is how the video popout found its way to desktop Chropera.

It's not True detach. It's video popout as seen on Android.

Reply #487
Their Discover thing might've been okay-ish if only there were an easy way to disable a particular news source as opposed to only offering categories. Sounds like this might be it.
Right and if you could customize the categories better. For instance, I can choose "Entertainment" or "Arts" , but can't create my own category "Books and Literature" or "Writing." 
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #488
Sure, but then you're just going into regular feed reader territory. (Which is better anyway, obviously.) What I mean is simply something like, "okay, I've 'discovered' HLN.be and I never want to see it again because it's awful".

Reply #490
A Chinese investment firm is to buy Norwegian company Opera Software in a deal worth $1.2bn.

The bid needed 90% acceptance (the level at which the remaining <10% shares can be compulsory aquired). In the initial offer period they only got 75%, and the period was extended to today. This morning they had 84%, and 75 minutes before the offer closed they had 89%. Now the offer has ended an hour ago.

Reply #491
Voluntary offer - preliminary results

Oslo and Beijing, 25th May 2016 - Reference is made to 
the stock exchange announcement made on 10th February
2016 on the agreement reached between Opera Software
ASA ("Opera" or the "Company") and Golden Brick Silk
Road (Shenzhen) Equity Investment Fund II LLP ("Golden
Brick"), the general partner of which is Golden Brick
Silk Road Fund Management (Shenzhen) LLP and the
limited partners of which are Beijing Kunlun Tech Co.
Ltd., Qihoo 360 Software (Beijing) Co. Ltd., and
Yonglian (Yinchuan) Investment Co., Ltd. (collectively
the "Consortium"), regarding a recommended voluntary
cash offer for 100% of the shares of Opera at an offer
price of NOK 71 per share (the "Offer"). Reference is
further made to the announcement made on 15th March
2016 in which it was announced that Golden Brick,
through its indirectly wholly owned subsidiary Kunqi
(the "Offeror"), had launched the Offer pursuant to an
offer document dated 14th March 2016 (the "Offer
Document").

The offer period for the Offer expired at 16:30 (CET)
on 24th May 2016. The preliminary result, which is
subject to confirmation and may be adjusted, is that
the Offeror has received acceptances of the Offer for
in total 132,911,316 shares in the Company
representing approximately 90.6% of the outstanding
share capital and 90.9% of the votes in the Company.
The final result will be published as soon as it is
available.

The preliminary result of the Offer indicates that the
minimum acceptance condition set out in section 4.3
(a) of the Offer Document has been met.

Except for the approximately 132,911,316 shares in the
Company tendered in acceptance of the Offer, the
Offeror and its related parties do not hold any shares
or rights to shares in the Company.

The remaining conditions for completion of the Offer
are set out in section 4.3. (Conditions for completion
of the Offer) of the Offer Document. As set forth
therein, the Offeror will issue a notification through
the Oslo Stock Exchange as soon as each of the
remaining conditions for completion of the Offer has
been met, waived or failed to be met.

Reply #492
Golden Brick Silk Road?
Considering Silk Road to be that deep web market place closed some time ago for selling drugs, weapons and the such, the buyers really got an interesting name.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #493
Not just silk road, but also gold brick.
Quote from: Google
gold brick
USinformal
noun
noun: gold brick; plural noun: gold bricks; noun: goldbrick; plural noun: goldbricks

a thing that looks valuable but is in fact worthless.
        a con man.
        noun: goldbricker; plural noun: goldbrickers
        a lazy person.
        "hardworking Amos and goldbrick Andy"

verb
    invent excuses to avoid a task; shirk.

Reply #494
Good for some shareholders, I suppose.

Reply #495
Moderately. The fact that it was so hard to get 90%, even when at the bidding they had the support of 60%, shows that the share holders were not so enthusiastic.

Reply #496
Opera, another case of Northern European sucess. Not even all the Norwegian oil was enough.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #497
Chinese takeover of Norway's Opera fails, alternative proposed
The deal needed a green light from the United States and China, and one firm in the Chinese consortium said U.S. privacy concerns would have led to an investigation into some of Opera's products that risked delaying the acquisition for up to a year.
Nice to see how the US worries about our privacy.  :rolleyes:

Reply #498
What? Opera is still not dead? (Opera Mini on Android is nicely usable though. I don't object if it lasts a little longer.)

Reply #499
I don't know how their browser income is going (i.e., searches from the browser and sponsored bookmarks/Discover stuff) nor am I terribly interested to look at their annual statement, but if nothing else I imagine their ad business is doing just fine.