Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping an eye on Opera (Read 168844 times)

Re: Keeping an eye on Opera

Reply #25
M2 is indeed one of the main reasons why I still use Opera. Further, I keep disabled most of the recent improvements in mail GUI. I'm still a loyal good old plain text mail composer. I connect using IMAP, and M2 does it well enough. Recently it became a little buggy - e. g. it sometimes mixes news feeds in the mail inbox - but nothing fatal.
This is one thing I'll really miss once I have to quit Opera 12 - and I really don't know where to go.
(I have tried Evolution, and found it somewhat unstable, too.)

Reply #26
The big flaw of plain text e-mail is that it automatically line-breaks at, what is it, 72 characters? Besides that it's great. I prefer it despite that problem. The huge pain that is Blackboard now seems to force HTML e-mail upon you if you send it from within its interface.

Reply #27
I keep automatic line-breaks disabled in M2...

Reply #28
I suppose I should rephrase that as "many e-mail clients have retarded defaults." :P

Retarded defaults

Reply #29
 :P

This is not the thread's title

Reply #30
I noticed that, if I change the subject line of my post, that subject is displayed at the forum's "last post" area suggesting that it is the thread's title, which it is not. Does it work as expected?

Reply #31

How to handle archiving, including signature, whether to use HTML e-mails, whether to top or bottom post… as far as I recall Evolution can do those kind of settings application-wide only.

Yes you are right, those settings are global in Evolution.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to Thunderbird or anything; as far as I know Tb, Evolution, Claws, and probably several others are fine e-mail clients. :)

*Ahem* but you didn't mention two crucial things that TB does better than Evo! :p
1) Assuming one has multiple accounts setup, TB makes it very easy to check for (new emails) for any particular account.
2) It's impossible to detach (delete) attachments from the mail messages in Evo. (This has been solved in the more recent ver. of Evo methinks)

I think as long as they use mbox format, conversion is a trivial thing!

Reply #32
http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2013/11/opera-18-landed/#comment-1132645881
Quote from: Daniel Aleksandersen
Do not expect [the Linux version] for another three months at the earliest.
Meaning, in February or March the Linux version of Chropera might land on us. Does it really take so long for the company to get out of desktop browser business that they even dare to promise a Linux version? Well, I guess the credit they earned under Tetzchner is not so easily wasted after all.

Reply #33
Damn that disqus, I can't see the comments properly!

Reply #34

On the subject of Opera itself, or rather Chopera, I've heard criticisms of it although nothing too specific except the Bookmark business (which is a killer for me) but I'd like to have a look. I presume one can just download and install it and get a new installation but the old Opera installation will remain untouched - any cautionary advice on that?

I want to see what it is like.

Run the installer, select Options and install for USB and select a directory to install it to. (as in screenshot)

That way it doesn't affect your current installation and after you've stopped laughing you can just delete it.  ;D

The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #35

I noticed that, if I change the subject line of my post, that subject is displayed at the forum's "last post" area suggesting that it is the thread's title, which it is not. Does it work as expected?
It's what Simple Machines expects. It may not be what you or I expect… but I guess it'd be easy enough to change.

Reply #36

On the subject of Opera itself, or rather Chopera, I've heard criticisms of it although nothing too specific except the Bookmark business (which is a killer for me) but I'd like to have a look.

Bookmarks is just the tip of the iceberg that any subaverage user will notice  ;)
Unlike other things they will return someday.
I presume one can just download and install it and get a new installation but the old Opera installation will remain untouched - any cautionary advice on that?

Yes, your old Opera installation will remain untouched.

Re: !

Reply #37

My last OPERA experience was v10.63.....I decided to switch to FireFox because I didn't like using menus...I wanted to use buttons...Custom Buttons is a breeze with FireFox (for what I want anyway), & I found customization much more user friendly in FireFox.

Let me know which Firefox you are talking about :)
For some buttons I'm using in Opera 12 I had to download two extensions for Firefox!
You need extensions for search engines and for mouse gestures, to name just two of the very basics :o
Also both inferior to what Opera 12 offers by default.

I use FireFox Portable ESR v17.0.9 at present....

Your Firefox ESR is a bit outdated. Latest version of the 17 line is 17.011 ;)

Reply #38

[…] I've got my Opera customized in just about each and every aspect. How I can attach the same macro to a menu, button, mouse gesture, stack a whole bunch together… I don't think any other browser has that.
Indeed, that's what's gone missing in the new Blink/Chromium versions of the Opera browser… (The folks who clamored for "extensions" finally got their wish! :( Now, if I want to make the current Opera behave as I'd prefer, I have to get deeper into actual programming than I want or am able to. :sigh: ) But that's what comes of being assimilated!

Web-surfing is being constrained to the model of commercial TV. (The "innovation" of cable channels won't help.) The browser is merely a content viewer…

I liked the ridiculously customizable Opera browser. It was corrective lenses that suited my eyes, as well as other enhancements that accommodated my other senses. (Sure, that's more than enough metaphor to explain what I mean? :) ) I'll keep it until I can't.

But, of course, I'll follow the new trends. If only to learn how to revert them: De-evolution!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #39
Opera's extensions weren't so bad. They were mostly UserJS in a different package. But Chrome and Firefox don't have these great functions.

Reply #40

You need extensions for search engines and for mouse gestures, to name just two of the very basics :o

You are right about mouse gestures, but extensions needed for search engines!!??? Ever heard of Open search engines!

Reply #41

Damn that disqus, I can't see the comments properly!
Same here. I extracted the link from someone else's post and verified the quote with a console browser which is the only one without any url-filtering and adblocking :D You can only see Disqus comments when you don't use url-filters and adblocks AT ALL.

Reply #42

....For some buttons I'm using in Opera 12 I had to download two extensions for Firefox!
Also both inferior to what Opera 12 offers by default.

I use FireFox Portable ESR v17.0.9 at present....

Your Firefox ESR is a bit outdated. Latest version of the 17 line is 17.011 ;)

I currently run over 40 extensions on my FireFox without any impact , but the only one I couldn't be bothered with is what you call 'Mouse Gestures'.

I have over 150 home brewed search engines, & just about any site that has a search feature I can grab with just a button press...deals done, walk in the park....all this from an unobtrusive, 15 second self installing extension that works perfectly day after day after day.

Now, back up is just another button press...15 seconds (most 30) & all engines are snug as a bug. Like I said earlier, backing up my entire browser with all those extensions, soup to nuts, is a matter of one copy & paste of one folder, & that takes all of 4 minutes on a bad day.

Thanks for the tip on the latest version 17.0.11. It was a minor update. I have updates turned off, but I check every couple of months or so....Now I'm using it, with the prior version on the side, ever ready, just in case it needs to be fired up at a split seconds notice.

Thanks again ....

Reply #43
ׂ

Reply #44
The large blog hanged for several seconds on my PC on every load and press of the "load more" button, and is a pain to scroll. And scrolling I must because of the sparse layout of the posts.

You can read my comments on why Disqus is an unusable POS here:
http://blogs.opera.com/news/2013/10/welcome-to-the-new-home-of-the-opera-news-blog/#comment-1104659747
http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2013/10/welcome-to-the-new-home-of-desktop-blog/#comment-1105611523

I'll have to rescue them from Disqus and mirror them e.g. here because… well, as I said, it's an unusable POS.

Btw, threaded comments is a standard Wordpress feature.

Does migration to Disqus also mean that the new forums are physically stored on their network?

The horror! The horror!

Reply #45

You are right about mouse gestures, but extensions needed for search engines!!??? Ever heard of Open search engines!

You may disclose to a Firefox novice a simple way to add costumized search engines :)

Adding search engines to Firefox
To add a search engine, click Get more search engines.... The Mozilla Add-ons Search Tools page is displayed.

BTW, I made my own friggin costumized .xml for Google 100 search results.

Reply #46

You can only see Disqus comments when you don't use url-filters and adblocks AT ALL.

Disqus? It's a lame tracking service IMO.
However it fits to Opera's new philosophy and their new product.

Reply #47

You may disclose to a Firefox novice a simple way to add costumized search engines :)

They will most probably go to the link you cite above, and end up with some junk extension!

Firefox (and now Opera) users, loves extensions too much ;)

In fact that's why good in-built "things" now turning into crappy "extensions",  easy to maintain dev goals etc. ;) (If you are interested then see what they done with the 'click-to-play' thingie recently! :( )

BTW, I made my own friggin costumized .xml for Google 100 search results.

Good! then stop spreading nonsense!

Reply #48
Good! then stop spreading nonsense!

The nonsense I'm spreading is from support mozilla: Adding search engines.
BTW, you didn't answer my question. Is any easy way to add your custom search engines except making your own .xml or downloading a plugin?

Reply #49
ׂ