Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping an eye on Opera (Read 169175 times)

Re: Keeping an eye on Opera

Reply #100

Btw, here's another hint that at least some people at Opera like plain-text configuration, just like me: http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/themes-in-opera-18-and-higher

Any sane person would prefer plain-text configuration but who cares about users especially sane ones.
The only possible advantage of .db might be a few milliseconds speed gain at cost of memory but only on modern computers. On elder ones it might be slower.

Reply #101
You can invite BS-Harou here, but if he has strong opinions or even a philosophy built around his view on 'user-select:none' (as I suspect he has), there will be dispute. Which is okay. We are a heterogenous group here already.

About plain-text config files - excellent in principle, but implementing it for themes is not indicative of any trend to me. It doesn't remove the Chromeness from Chropera. It's not even a baby step back towards Opera.

Some day I should present some concise statement about what I believe true Opera to be, or what good software is at least. It's horrible to see Haavard gradually dismantling his definitive list that many of us used to refer to http://my.opera.com/haavard/blog/2012/10/19/what-is-opera

Reply #103
ׂ

Reply #104
Because he claims it's available as an option in the Chropera installer. Are you saying it's not?

Reply #105

Why is 30. 'Portable installation' crossed out in Haavard's list?

Because it's already available in Chopera.

I also misunderstood the meaning of crossed out items and therefore had to delete one of my above comments  :-[

Reply #106

Because he claims it's available as an option in the Chropera installer. Are you saying it's not?

If I recall exactly it was already available in v.15 beta, the only one I've tested.

Reply #107
ׂ

Reply #108
I also misunderstood the meaning of crossed out items and therefore had to delete one of my above comments

It made perfect sense to me under the assumption that you meant some of his crossed out items were a bit overreaching, or that you considered many of them insufficient. For instance, is tab stashing truly equivalent to having many dozens of pages open? It is for some uses, possibly for most uses, but certainly not for all uses. Back in high school I wrote a paper about fractals. I had over a hundred pages with background information and nicely rendered fractals open.* Stashing them would've just forced me to perform more actions with the same result.

Even right now I have 50 pages open for some light browsing. Chromium would be unbearably slow, as well as using up all of my RAM. Could I stash a bunch? Sure! But it'd still be more work on my part…

What I don't understand is why speed dial isn't crossed out. Admittedly I hardly care for the thing, but it was just about the only feature Opera 15 launched with.

* Incidentally, this was on a computer with something like 512MB RAM.

Reply #109

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/findpost.pl?id=15003162
Am I going too far too quickly? I'm just so damned tired of people excusing the inexcusable.

You are too modest. You retract and retreat too fast http://my.opera.com/community/forums/findpost.pl?id=15003462
Quote from: Frenzie
Quote from: blackbird71
But to attribute the statements of Opera developers, certain incongruous details within change logs, or "official" statements by Opera to a conscious process of lying, deliberate deception[snip]

That's not what I'm suggesting, so I probably expressed myself poorly.

I personally suggest precisely this: They are deliberately deceiving and lying. And I effectively said so in my own post in the thread. No reason to put it in stronger words, I was blunt enough.

The deception deserves to be uncovered by the means available to us (within the limits of reason and conscience of course). I personally am not afraid to throw the hooks of their propaganda (which is the synonym for PR) back at their face. Which is what I got my ban threats for - directly catching one employee at a lie that he couldn't admit or spin, and charging another for failing to address the point I had brought up. He gave the answer that I had already dismissed when presenting my question. I don't regret any of this. It went very well because I didn't get banned after all :)

What Haavard is doing to his blog post, I call it dismantling because he shows that Chropera can do the same as Opera in a way, by means of workarounds, etc. At each strikethrough he links to another blog post where he shows this. I call this dismantling because the strikethroughs leave the impression that he is progressively retracting the original items on the list. Which of course he is, because when this goes on for long enough, the original post will consist mainly of strikethroughs. He is an employee at the company and a proponent of the move to Webkit, directly engaging with users in the comments section. He says that Chropera is Opera too - already now. For me it will never be. So I am diametrically opposed to his standpoint.

I didn't know of Andre Zanghelini's post. It's a good example of the frustration caused by the move to Webkit, but the comments section bears the marks that he is more of an emotional type rather than rational and principled. As an emotional type, he is relieved by mere venting and is then vulnerable to smickering by the highups of the PR artillery. Or maybe I'm mistaken. He could be just playing their own game back at them when he says he would revise and correct his post and could retract this or that. Which is also a tack :) The best moment on that page for me is the long comment by QuHno. Of course, as PR strategy dictates, he is completely ignored by the rest of discussion, despite being profoundly relevant.

Edit: removed the duplicate..

Reply #110

It made perfect sense to me under the assumption that you meant some of his crossed out items were a bit overreaching, or that you considered many of them insufficient.

It could have been the case but it wasn't. I simply misunderstood the meaning of crossed out items.

Quote from: Frenzie
For instance, is tab stashing truly equivalent to having many dozens of pages open?

No it isn't. It's kind of lousy workaround. Same way I could use Opera notes instead of tabs.
Neither is Blink equivalent to Presto nor vice versa.
When "the silent transition under the hood" was anounced in the forums, general resonance was positive.
It was very sad news for some of us but most people endorsed the change. At this point in spite of my frustration I couldn't blame Opera for doing something most users endorsed. They killed their own baby but that wasn't my business albeit it was/still is my favorite baby as well.
Quote from: Haavard
I regularly have more than 100 tabs on my tab bar in Opera 12.
This has been possible because Presto is an efficient little engine that handles these kinds of situations better than anything else.
In Opera 15, though, I have found that opening a lot of tabs makes for a rather poor browsing experience.
As a result, I have started adding pages to my Stash whenever there's something I'm not going to do right away or in the immediate future.

The way I read it: With Blink it won't work so use Stash as a workaround.

Harvaard's list is incomplete. I can't blame him for it because some items were considered so basic at the time he wrote that list, that including them would have been laughable.
Proxy settings come to my mind. A browser that can't be configured to use a proxy which you can turn on and off on the fly is almost useless for me.  

Reply #111
You are too modest. You retract and retreat too fast

I have ulterior motives.
I personally suggest precisely this: They are deliberately deceiving and lying. And I effectively said so in my own post in the thread. No reason to put it in stronger words, I was blunt enough.

Nevertheless, I would think that more than lying it might just as well be mostly an unconscious form of coping. After all, you can't work very well on a product you don't like.

NB I do disagree with e.g. Blazej on many points.

I'll make a quick dissection of that vision post for future reference
When we released our first browser in 1996, most web users were people who weren’t afraid to tinker, and who liked lots of options and configurability. Fast-forward 17 years, and the Web is everywhere. Speedy browsing and sites working properly is the most important thing to many, many people.

Yet Opera was always more for tinkerers, wasn't it?
That leaves us with the riddle that every software developer faces at some point: how best to make a UI simple enough to be intuitive for a consumer who wants a solid, fast browser that just works, and yet is customizable and extensible so that power users can add the features they want?

It's not a riddle. I'd say the answer is staring us in the face in the form of roughly Opera 9-12. I've got a heavily customized menu.ini. Most people do not. The riddle I face is how do you convince devs not to remove features they've decided to hide by default because they're apparently too complicated.
So, starting from this fresh base, we decided to carefully consider how to build up Opera again: over the years, Presto-based Opera had become overloaded with features, a number of them confusing rather than helping our users — you can’t imagine how many reports we’ve gotten from users telling us that their favorite site was broken, simply because they had turned on fit-to-width by accident, for instance.

Yet it would've taken literally about a minute to implement a little popup info (overlay?) bar or something, but instead opt to remove it? You can't imagine how many times I've used it to fix a broken fixed-width site, for instance.
The answer is to build a strong, extensible foundation on which to innovate. Opera 15 is a fresh start, to which we will continue to add features.

I'd say that describes Opera and Firefox fairly well. With Chromium I have my doubts, and Chropera hasn't proved that it's significantly different from Chromium yet. These are probably weasel words to some extent because combined with the previous paragraph it suggests it's talking about extensibility for users, but the tiniest look at Opera 18/19 shows that it must rather be talking about the developers who have the source.
The same was true for M2: adding it to Opera 15 would require rebuilding it from scratch, more to download for users and more UI for those who don’t use the feature. For that reason, we spun it out into a separate download.
Going from 30MB to 40MB is unthinkable, but going from 10MB to 30MB…
At the same time, we also wanted to give Opera a more native look and feel. And hence, taking also into account that native toolkits have evolved over the last 10 years (especially on Mac), we decided to build the whole UI with native code: we stripped away Chromium’s UI layer, and built it piece by piece from scratch — a big undertaking, and what you see today is just the beginning.

Chropera is the least native looking browser I've ever seen besides Chromium and your average Apple POS. Also it doesn't work at all with e.g. the high contrast color scheme, which is just about the first check for nativeness I perform.
We introduced the Speed Dial concept in 2007. When we extended it allow unlimited Speed Dial entries, we became aware that the conceptual difference between traditional bookmarks and Speed Dial was shrinking. Indeed, rather than browsing through a tree structure in a menu or panel, hunting for the right bookmark, users were relying on the address bar’s auto-complete, Speed Dial entries, or built-in search to get to their site of choice. That gave us the idea to move bookmarks right into the browser window where all the browsing happens. The addition of one level-deep folders with visual thumbnails and super-fast search allows you to find any favorite site in an instant.

Massive quantities of thumbnails and folders limited to one level only, so you use a shitload of extra memory to display about a dozen bookmarks at once instead of about 30-40. What could possibly go wrong?
We found that modern browsers are hard to do research in. You open tab after tab (comparing different shopping items for instance), and after a while you can’t keep track of what’s where. Sessions and tab stacking attempted to help, but also confused a lot of users, adding extra UI complexity. So we came up with Stash, which is a vertical overview of items you’ve added with super-fast full-text search, so you can compare and filter. This limits the amount of tabs you need to have open, reducing the number of running processes.

Translation: Chromium sucks and can't cope with more than a couple dozen pages open at once. Oh, and we forgot to mention, Chromium's page/window/tab management sucks too.
Now the Web is everywhere, it’s very common to be lounging on a sofa, or waiting at a bus stop, entertaining yourself with a notebook, tablet or phone. But with a world of content out there, where to start? Discover is a feature that brings pre-selected content, in a range of languages and subjects, straight to your brain.

Are they making money off the redirects? (Which wouldn't be a bad thing, but not mentioning it is a bit iffy.)
Not everyone is on a fast connection all the time. Opera 10 introduced Opera Turbo to render pages faster on slow connections, which was subsequently improved by compressing images into WebP format in Opera 11.10. Off-road mode in Opera 15 adds SPDY to the mix so that your pages render even faster.

Nope.
It’s no coincidence that Opera 15 was released on the same day as our rapid release cycle began. You’ll soon see what’s on the table for future versions. At the moment, we’re looking at themes, syncing between devices and improving tab handling.

None of which are functional yet, half a year later. That is, I don't think BS-Harou's extension written in his spare time counts as Opera improving tab handling.
If you’re a power-user (and if you’re reading this, you almost certainly are) and you find that Opera 15 doesn’t have a feature you depend upon, first check the growing list of extensions. You may find our basic bookmarks manager extension fits the bill — or you may find the cottonTracks extension is an innovative way to solve a problem. If you miss Notes, try the Evernote extension.

No. If I must use extensions, Firefox extensions are generally of higher quality.
Edit 10 July: we've announced that we're prioritising building bookmarks functionality after hearing your feedback.

Still waiting. QAB is still indistinguishable from the Chromium bookmarks bar, and as I keep repeating, even IE3 had better bookmarks than Chromium.
We’re looking at your comments and feedback (as we have for 17 years!). Please send us bug reports if you find mistakes. Inside the company, we all have our own personal wish-lists (Bruce keeps harping on about ctrl+enter and Turkish Discover; Andreas harasses us about Extension APIs and bookmarks).

No, you told me to report bugs to the Chromium bug tracker because Blink is not Opera's purview.

Reply #112
The way I read it: With Blink it won't work so use Stash as a workaround.

There's another aspect: Chromium doesn't have e.g. the window panel, vertical tabs, tabs on multiple lines, or Ctrl+Tab, so you can never really get an overview of what's going on if you open a little more than Gmail, Google+, and YouTube.
Proxy settings come to my mind. A browser that can't be configured to use a proxy which you can turn on and off on the fly is almost useless for me.

Wait—Opera 15+ does not have proxy settings? Are you serious?

Reply #113
Wait—Opera 15+ does not have proxy settings? Are you serious?

Oh, I see. It has the (rather limited) Windows proxy settings and lacks Opera's quick on/off switch. This is kind of like… well, like bookmarks really. Such a basic feature you never even give it any thought.

Reply #114
In case you were wondering about BS-Harou's philosophy, it is somewhat different from mine.
Quote from: BS-Harou
I like having everything that doesn't require speed of native apps in the browser :) Also the advantages of web interface (access from any device with internet connection, no local space required, backups) are in my case more important than advantages of native clients (encryption, speed, offline access).

Somewhat ironically, I might go with native for similar reasons.

Thanks to Unison, I have all my files on all my devices. Local space? I bought a new 2TB HDD for €60-70 a few months ago, and in my phone I'd got a 32GB SD card. In my phone's case, its purpose is an offline copy of Wikipedia, a few dictionaries,, some offline maps, and of course the capacity to take pictures and videos. That way I have access everywhere regardless of Internet connection.

Backup? Keeping my data safe is the primary reason I want to keep it local, or at least backed up in local copies. To keep it safer, create a rotation of external HDDs you exchange while e.g. visiting your parents. Pay a dedicated backup service. But surely don't depend on those who provide free cloud services.

Also, if I don't shut down my computer, I have access to everything from anywhere in the world through SSH.

Reply #115
Well, regarding mobile I often prefer offline as well (maps, music, etc..), at least as long as the apps are usuable when being offline. I hate sites that offer mobile apps, that work only with internet connection, instead of mobile website.

I'm too lazy person to rotate my HDDs :) I preferer not to touch the HW stuff if it is not necessary.

Reply #117
ׂ

Reply #118
On the flipside, it's fantastic that you can read about some old computer system and run it on your browser seconds later, without installing anything. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if WordPerfect 5.1 in a JS emulator were more efficient than something like Google Docs. :P

Reply #119

http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2013/11/opera-18-landed/#comment-1132645881
Quote from: Daniel Aleksandersen
Do not expect [the Linux version] for another three months at the earliest.
Meaning, in February or March the Linux version of Chropera might land on us. Does it really take so long for the company to get out of desktop browser business that they even dare to promise a Linux version? Well, I guess the credit they earned under Tetzchner is not so easily wasted after all.

Maxthon were promising their users a Linux version for months as well. Since Opera 15, some Opera Linux users were threatening to switch to that. Yet that browser hasn't landed either. Opera cites different GUI toolkits as the reason for delay. I wonder what Maxthon's excuse is. Of course, I wasn't impressed with Maxthon for Windows, so I'm not sure why I would be for the Linux version :p

Reply #120
Yet that browser hasn't landed either.

I don't know where to get it, but I believe I've seen people mention an alpha.
Of course, I wasn't impressed with Maxthon for Windows, so I'm not sure why I would be for the Linux version :p

Over a decade ago I used MyIE2 as my primary browser for a while. It was comparable with Opera in a few ways (MDI, easy search engines). If the list of features is anything to go by, they threw that out. :P

Reply #122
ׂ

Reply #123
So you are actually beginning to like it, j7n? Must be Stockholm syndrome...

Here's some quotes from a rant. I already read its years-old earlier version "The decline of the Opera Web browser" but now the text has been updated to "The death of Opera".

For years, it cost money. They later gave you the choice to run it for "free" by being subjected to advertisements. Even so, I felt that it was superior to the rest in enough ways to use it. Even with the highly questionable default user interface setups and looks (that kept changing all the time), it was still the browser I preferred over the others. It was anything but perfect, but the miserable competition made it shine like a star. At least this is how I and quite a few others perceived it.

At some point, I guess they got sick of having such an extremely small (relatively) market share and changed their business model yet again... As I understand it, they had already for many years received money for their trashy default bookmarks. That'd be OK if it weren't for the fact that, unless my memory is playing tricks on me, it would sometimes add back the garbage bookmarks when you upgraded, mixed in with your existing bookmarks. Very annoying and an ominous sign of what to come.

I'm not saying that it became worse at rendering pages or noticeably slower than before, or that there weren't any welcome additions and improvements in its last years (because there certainly were) — it was just gradually made more and more obnoxious in a very disturbing manner... There really is no point in listing everything they did wrong. You get the picture. Toward the end, I really starting to dread each update of Opera instead of looking forward to them.

Summary of its death and aftermath

•    In early 2013, the Opera developers announced that they were dumping their own rendering and JavaScript engines in favour of WebKit and Chromium's V8. They assured everyone that nothing would change and that this would allow them to "focus on making the browser great".

•     A few months later, there was a new announcement revealing that the new Opera, 15 (they skipped generations 13 and 14), is in fact just a Chrome skin. With no bookmark support. Or mail. Or RSS. Or chat. Or any feature at all that Chrome doesn't already have. In other words, what they said earlier was a lie.

•     Only after countless useless, unbelievably arrogant blog posts with more bullshit and half-assed "damage control", did they sort of cave in and said they would bring back bookmarks "in some form". However, it's just too late.

For me Opera will be dead as of next year. Let them release the Linux version. I see no reason to install it. Chromes are pointless. We'll see if distro teams upload the thing to their repositories for easy access as the old version has been. Chrome is not there...

Reply #124
Well, time to get rid of the linux compat crap then - running Opera was the only reason I had it installed. If I want to run chromium or some other webkit browser I can run them natively.