Skip to main content
Topic: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful (Read 110794 times)

Re: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful

Reply #476

I've never been in Russia but have travelled in some Eastern European countries - hence my assumption.
It's hard to beleave that in Russia you can't purchase legally a bottle of Vodka, jewellery or a CD/DVD (to name just some famous classics like Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov or Mussorgsky). Sales on streets is another matter. I assume that those sellers have neither a license/authorization nor do they pay taxes.

Yes, on the streets is an important aspect and I indeed meant licensing. License for sales on streets does not exist in Russia. There are marketplaces for that. Outside marketplaces and shops, all sales are unlicensed and illegal, yet widespread, e.g. when you travel by train through Russia, you meet people pushing stuff on you at every major stop.

There's a rather complicated point I am making about recordings of music and film. Russia does not acknowledge Western system of copyright. There are two consequences to this that I know of:

1. There's no (legal) imports and distribution of Western-produced films and music in Russia.
2. Instead of imports, there's a case-by-case licensing between Russian state and Western companies for distribution in Russia. Such distribution is handled locally by Russian state and the production of the relevant CD's and DVD's is local, in Russia. It becomes a Russian product.

So, whenever you see a Western CD/DVD in Russia, it's illegal for sale. When I was last in Russia, I didn't see those at all. Instead, you see obvious copies with poorly printed covers, of which you can never tell if they are official. Since producing CD's and DVD's is easy these days, they are more likely produced in some dirty basement.

A further corollary is that when you buy a Western recording in Russia and you are on your way back, you may get into trouble at the border. It's safer to buy Russian films and music.

As for brothels, AFAIK they are prohibited in other places like Poland as well. However there is less excitement therefore and you can visit even so many brothels operating illegal.
BTW, Wikipedia tells me that organized prostitution (whorehouses) are illegal in Estonia too.

Of course they are illegal. Why shouldn't they be? (Maybe this is a perplexing point of view for Germans and Dutchmen...)

Reply #477
I don't know whether they are legal. But I hope they are supposed to be weird, or wacky, or wonderful. :left:

Reply #478

I don't know whether they are legal. But I hope they are supposed to be weird, or wacky, or wonderful. :left:

Hmmm.... Have you seen "Gay Pride" marches? You will never find a weirder or wackier event. The proponents think it's wonderful, others aren't so sure. The fact that these displays are not exactly legal in places like Russia or the Middle East only seems to add to the spectacle.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #479
Have you been to one personally? They really aren't like as they're represented in Christian/Conservative outlets. You go the fest itself, you'll have some singers and booths full of people selling trinkets or trying to get you to join such and such silly organization.

Hrm, Las Vegas Pride is coming up . What outrageous things are happening that should be banned?

The horror! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Not a rodeo?!? What are we gonna do ?!? :yikes:

Even hiking of all abominations!

There's even bingo and breast awareness. :crosses self:

There is one that looks a little racy, but everybody that goes knows what they're getting into.

But what about the main event? http://lasvegaspride.org/pride-festival/

Yes, that looks about right. A bunch of people sitting the grass :p

Reply #480

Random weirdness: But wonder why the logo poster is all caps except for the "side" in "OUTside"?

Am I missing something?

Or is it like if you're responding to someone that sounded far behind you only to turn around mid-statement and they're standing right behind you?  
":left: WE'RE GOING TO THE OUT! :right::eek: side one."

Reply #482
Quote from: ensbb3

Random weirdness: But wonder why the logo poster is all caps except for the "side" in "OUTside"?

Am I missing something?

Or is it like if you're responding to someone that sounded far behind you only to turn around mid-statement and they're standing right behind you?  

I think it must be because OUT is a magic word in PROUD Circles, so emphasise it "side" had to be demoted.

Reply #483
Speaking of Estonian wood, this hearing aid is nice as well.

Reply #485

Quote from: ensbb3

Am I missing something?

I think it must be because OUT is a magic word in PROUD Circles, so emphasise it "side" had to be demoted.

Ah, makes as much sense as anything. ;)