Skip to main content
Topic: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful (Read 110792 times)

The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful

This is for posting reports on the strange things that happen on this planet.

:o ??? 8)

Re: The Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful

Reply #2
I suppose this comes into the category of "Wonderful".

'Fastest ever' broadband passes speed test

Quote from:  BBC web site
"The "fastest ever" broadband speeds have been achieved in a test in London, raising hopes of more efficient data transfer via existing infrastructure.

Alcatel-Lucent and BT said speeds of 1.4 terabits per second were achieved during their joint test - enough to send 44 uncompressed HD films a second."

Reply #3
This seems to fit the topic:

Gut feelings: the future of psychiatry may be inside your stomach

Greenblatt’s provocative idea — that psychiatric woes can be solved by targeting the digestive system — is increasingly reinforced by cutting-edge science. For decades, researchers have known of the connection between the brain and the gut. Anxiety often causes nausea and diarrhea, and depression can change appetite. The connection may have been established, but scientists thought communication was one way: it traveled from the brain to the gut, and not the other way around.

Reply #5
The mysterious case of the double toilet

Amusing article, and speaking of humour he writes:
"Russians like to complain and to criticise people in power. But they also love to laugh - and that includes the ability to laugh at themselves.".

I can vouch for that, having once been a fairly frequent visitor.

On Russian toilet design; in one venue I visited I saw another weird toilet system. Look at one of those pedestals, and imagine not a seat, but two foot holds on other side of the bowl; all this in a cubicle where the top of the cubical was about 1m above the height of the toilet. It was all very puzzling to me and somewhat of a relief when I had worked it through.

Reply #7
To be fair, one might wonder whether it's really any better or worse than partitions that leave through sounds and smells anyway. :P

Reply #10
Quote from: article about rich weirdo
He put up a list of requirements: the girl should be under 25, over 1.68 meters tall, less than 50 kilograms, and “sweet,” with at least a bachelor’s degree.

Hmmm…

Reply #16
On Russian toilet design; in one venue I visited I saw another weird toilet system. Look at one of those pedestals, and imagine not a seat, but two foot holds on other side of the bowl; all this in a cubicle where the top of the cubical was about 1m above the height of the toilet. It was all very puzzling to me and somewhat of a relief when I had worked it through.
Squat toilets. It would have made more sense to have one cubicle each for using both in parallel, but at least there was a choice.

Reply #17
Usually (I mean in the 80's when I used to visit Russia more often) they just have holes in the floor. No walls, no barriers, just a sh*tty dark hall with a sh*tload of sh*tholes. Knowing Russian mentality, I assumed that central Moscow would have more civilised toilets, but no, the same sh*tty format even in the main railway station facing the West - and that I saw around the turn of the millennium last time.

When you enter that kind of hall of sh*t, you immediately get the impression that under the sh*tty floor is another hall as large, entirely consisting of pure sh*t. That's the right impression, btw. You also begin to wonder if the floor of the hall of sh*t will hold or maybe you fall and land into pure sh*t. Well, the floor never failed when I was visiting those places. Be brave! And don't fall through those holes.

Reply #18

Usually (I mean in the 80's when I used to visit Russia more often) they just have holes in the floor. No walls, no barriers, just a sh*tty dark hall with a sh*tload of sh*tholes. Knowing Russian mentality, I assumed that central Moscow would have more civilised toilets, but no, the same sh*tty format even in the main railway station facing the West - and that I saw around the turn of the millennium last time.

When you enter that kind of hall of sh*t, you immediately get the impression that under the sh*tty floor is another hall as large, entirely consisting of pure sh*t. That's the right impression, btw. You also begin to wonder if the floor of the hall of sh*t will hold or maybe you fall and land into pure sh*t. Well, the floor never failed when I was visiting those places. Be brave! And don't fall through those holes.

You forgot to mention all that **i*.

Reply #19
Say Scheiße and you'll sound sophisticated because you can speak German. ;) (There's also the Dutch cognate schijt.)

Reply #20
Russian and myself as its representative grant you permission to use the word "govno":D

Reply #22
Anybody here ever had one of these beauties?

If you do, keep it because they're not printed any.

We do have these, though.

Reply #24
@Josh
No, Just 200 http://www.funhousetrading.com/bush200.htm

It became a collectible after this true story http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/bush-phony-200-bill
North Carolina cops are searching for a guy who successfully passed a $200 bill bearing George W. Bush's portrait and a drawing of the White House complete with lawn signs reading "We like ice cream" and "USA deserves a tax cut." The phony Bush bill--a copy of which you'll find below--was presented to a cashier at a Food Lion in Roanoke Rapids on September 6 by an unidentified male who was seeking to pay for $150 in groceries. Remarkably, the cashier accepted the counterfeit note and gave the man $50 change