What's your connection now?

Bad/poor
[ 0 ] (0%)
So-so.
[ 2 ] (33.3%)
Quite ok:)
[ 4 ] (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Topic: Static Poll 3 ("Internet connection") (Read 12165 times)

Static Poll 3 ("Internet connection")

I've skipped that "Run the poll for:" thing, and decided to make the 3rd test poll with users changing their votes. So use it.

This thread is temporary. Consider it.

Note: testing some smilies in the poll...

Re: Internet Connection (St.poll #3)

Reply #2
ׂ

Reply #3
My Dropbox is still "temporarily banned". That's the second week. Apparently the ban is triggered by leeching 20 gigabytes per day. That's 2 hours of effort to kill another person's account. I wonder who had I pissed off enough for that. Stupid Dropbox.

You'd think they'd put an IP ban on the leecher after one or two GB, not the account being leeched from. O_o

If I go to the overlords' streaming video site to read and post some comments, it starts loading the damn video immediately. If I go to any russian site, I get bombarded with "teasers" slowing my computer to a halt.

I know, right. These days I often find myself preferring Flash over HTML5 because at least Flash is fully blocked from loading until I click to play. I thought they'd promised the ability to better control what exactly happened to HTML5 media regardless of some stupid autoplay attribute.

Reply #4
So far I've only tried from G.Chrome...
Well, still - on the other hand - there's a relief when the limit is up: I can freely listen to almost any of the dowloaded radiostreams I like - without worrying about "gosh! this meter's damn ticking, boo!..";)

Reply #5
What do they drop your speed to?

Reply #6
128. It's mobile internet - I have few wires here: except for the power-plug, the other two (and half) are to the speakers and a 2m extender for my GPRS-modem.

Reply #7
128kbps? Well, at least it's better than the 64kbps to which they drop mine. :right:

Reply #9
ׂ

Reply #10
True, at 50Mbit I can download several videos from YouTube at once without noticing a thing. Even if it's a few hundred MB it's already half done by the time I start the second download anyway… But that's kind of the point of dropping you to 10Mbit, of course—so you won't strain the network as much. I'd say down to… maybe 1Mbit is probably acceptable, although I'd definitely prefer no lower than 4Mbit. At 64kbit you can barely even access their stupid site to buy more volume. You'd think they might implement an exception or something…

Reply #12
ׂ

Reply #13
I think YouTube has their content distributed around the globe. I'm not sure how many uploads are cached locally like that. But I imagine that most requests are handled without leaving the state, or even the local network as in the case with this video I just watched.

I'm also pretty close to all kinds of major European stuff, from server parks to trans-Atlantic hubs. Physical location doesn't matter that much except for ping, other than that if it's from Asia, it's more likely that there's a bottleneck somewhere along the way.

Reply #14
ׂ

Reply #15
This morning it was to renew my limit (and take my money &all), then I was SURPRISED they blocked me.
You know what? They took certain extra money the other day because my SIM-card sucked net via the neighbouring region (which is not covered by the package).
You see, I called, and yelled at them like they were sunuvabitches...

Reply #17
I meant that YouTube is not the best example of gauging network speed because it, like other sites employing Content Delivery Networks, is not transparent about where the content is being served from.

If the video has been cached locally, its speed is not influenced by congestion or traffic shaping further down the line.

Back nearly 10 years ago when I had 100Mbit, the best DC++ speeds were from the LAN and American universities with similar high-speed connections (i.e. 10+MB/s—that's megabyte, of course). In any case, I'm not really following what you're talking about anymore. On 2Mbit, downloading a file or two, no matter from where or for what reason, affects how fast your connection feels. On 10Mbit that's harder to achieve. But I'm going to disagree in that a server that properly fills up your connection, such as YouTube, will make you feel the limits of your connection much better than some stupid bottleneck somewhere down the line in Egypt or Turkey because your file's coming from halfway round the world.

PS I think many YouTube files for Western Europe come from Germany.

Reply #18
ׂ

Reply #19
A data cap on home Internet is retarded.  Mine is 30gb total divided between after hours and peak. So 15gb peak per month.  Wtf? I use more than that on my mobile. I usually reach my cap by day two.

Side note: There are websites that download flash games from about any site. I've done it before because my son likes some flash games and the ads on those sites are usually adult sites I don't want him linked to and blocking page content sometimes blocks the game. It has the added advantage of him not using data too.

Reply #20
I don't know exactly my internet connection velocity. The fastest downloads I ever done reaches around 1.5 to 1.7 MB per second.
It's fast enough for me but usually downloads are slower.

What really irritates me is that there's no way of contracting only a decent internet service, all the three or four ISP illegally forces clients to subscribe some package with internet, telephone and tv included.
When I have the patience I'll suit them all.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #21
I don't know exactly my internet connection velocity. The fastest downloads I ever done reaches around 1.5 to 1.7 MB per second.

That would be something like 12 to 14 Mbit. Although I'm not sure if there's a proper reason why Internet speed is measured in kilobit and megabit while in real life we all use kilobyte and megabyte. I've always suspected it's simply because the value deceptively appears 8 times as large that way. On the other hand, back in the days of 33.6 and 56 kbit modems I guess the measurement made actual sense.

Re: Internet Connection (Poll 3 moved from the 'Testing Board')

Reply #22
Although I'm not sure if there's a proper reason why Internet speed is measured in kilobit and megabit while in real life we all use kilobyte and megabyte.

I think it's because, theoretically, a byte can consume a variable amount of bits to be transferred (something around 8 bits, it depends on the protocol). Hence, network connections are sold to transfer bits, not bytes, and the speed in bytes depends on how they are packed. (Although, practically, it is almost always the same, I guess.)

Reply #23
Well sure, but there's always about 10% overhead. To say that I'm really getting 50 Mbit while I only actually notice something like 44-45 Mbit is itself also a little deceptive imo. I mean, you can increase the overhead by using encryption, but there's always a bare minimum overhead. To say that I get roughly 5.5 effective MB/s over regular TCP/IP would be far more honest and transparent than saying I get 50 Mbit, with an implied -10%.

And it's not like this is engineers accidentally thinking their customers will know what they're talking about. They seem to have made sure that finding the kind of technical info I'm actually looking for (like are all the ports open, how do I use my own router) is next to impossible.

Reply #24
I think slightly different. They can assure the megabits per second they are able to provide; they cannot assure how much megabytes per second it will result for a customer, according to his usage (encryption etc.). But I agree that they could at least suggest an estimate average speed in megabytes per second (although I have no idea whether this would have legal issues).
And I agree that megabits per second are hard for average customers to understand - beyond knowing that this link has twice the speed of that other.