Skip to main content
Topic: Governments, Services and Taxes (Read 2608 times)

Governments, Services and Taxes

What are the must-haves and what are the nice-to-haves?

Re: Governments, Services and Taxes

Reply #1
I must have soup. I love soup, so I absolutely must have it.

It would be nice to have soup with

Reply #3
The soup sector is one of the must-have functions of government. I mean, seriously, to take care of the poor or in case of disasters, there must be some institutional continuity to administer to these necessities.

Other cases I can think of where the government is indispensable is providing health care, education, and energy. Surely I am not off the mark here, because pretty much in every country these sectors are government controlled, even though the order of priority is reversed from what I stated.

Then there's the military sector, the so-called defence. There's no country in the world where this would be left to private citizens with enterpreneurial spirit, to be regulated by the mysteriously perfect invisible hand of the market forces.

Reply #4

Other cases I can think of where the government is indispensable is providing health care, education, and energy. Surely I am not off the mark here, because pretty much in every country these sectors are government controlled, even though the order of priority is reversed from what I stated.

So you mean government regulated, not necessarily run by the government itself?

Then there's the military sector, the so-called defence. There's no country in the world where this would be left to private citizens with enterpreneurial spirit, to be regulated by the mysteriously perfect invisible hand of the market forces.

Somalia? :left:

Reply #5
So you mean government regulated, not necessarily run by the government itself?

What's the difference? A branch of government, a formally autonomous government office (such as audit units), and a 100% government-owned company look like the shades of the same gray to me.