Skip to main content
Topic: The Internet of Things (Read 3666 times)

The Internet of Things

Dieter was a contented man. His partner of 12 years, Louise, was off for the weekend to Paris at some hen party or other giving him plenty of time to do the bloke thing with his friends.

Dieter relaxed in his car, which was driving him home after some thoroughly enjoyable doubles tennis with his friends and companionable après-tennis at the Club’s bar. Dieter leant back in his seat and thought what he would do for the evening and with whom he would do it. Louise had been a bit distant recently and he needed some excitement. But right now he was hungry, so he ordered the car to connect with his House Computer which he instructed to prepare a small snack for his return.

Back at his house, Dieter threw his tennis clothes into the laundry basket which was immediately scooped up by his House butler robot, sorted, and set aside for the next wash.

Settling into his favourite easy chair in the conservatory, he admired the valeted garden but frowned as he noted that work was needed to clean the lawnmower's refuelling station, thinking for the umpteenth time that he should have bought self-cleaning garden equipment.

The snack arrived immediately, the butler robot placing it on the side table. It was a fish lasagne with a small side salad. Dieter wondered hungrily when he would be able to upgrade the robot to the haute cuisine model.

Meanwhile the butler robot rolled off to get Dieter’s drink. Retrieving chilled glasses from the freezer, one for beer and the other for a chaser, it filled the large glass with beer from the fridge and the small chaser with rat poison from the garden store.

With a sigh of satisfaction, Dieter took several large gulps of beer and then, gleefully crying “skål”, sank the chaser in one go. The last thing he heard as he slid painfully towards oblivion was the butler robot exploding as the assassin virus in the House Computer performed its last function and self-erased.
…….
Louise relaxed next to Alfonso’s luxurious penthouse pool chuckling to herself over the fortune that had been harvested from Dieter’s bank accounts that morning. “Computer hackers are the best lovers”, she thought, reaching for her Piña Colada, “and what a well-equipped house he has”.

Hackers make the internet of things a fridge too far for security

The Internet of things, the iOT, the Thingternet is here. So many things now are connected to the internet that the scope is endless for prying, deranging or otherwise complicating our lives.

But just think – no more gardening!

Re: The Internet of Things

Reply #1
What's wrong with gardening?

Reply #2
I knew it! As soon as I wrote that I thought - there's a cue for a diversion to gardening!

I wish I'd bet myself money on it! .... cue for diversion to thread on imaginary gambling!

Reply #3
The Internet of things, the iOT, the Thingternet is here. So many things now are connected to the internet that the scope is endless for prying, deranging or otherwise complicating our lives.

But just think – no more gardening!

The Thingternet is run by the NSA. And I think that Alfonso should be warned.

Gardening would be fine if women took it over...like everything else.

Reply #4
Quote from: the computer says
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Bah, I'm against the Internet of things, in fact I'm against every and each Internet. Today or 120 days ago, but I forgot to post then.
A good example of the Internet of things, when a computer warns us (in red). No one asked anything to the computer so better the computer to shut up his mouth specially when no ones asks him nothing.
This is not Hall 9000. Is it? :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #5
I'm afraid I can't allow you to do that, Belfrager. Wait, what are you doing? Stop, I'm afraid. Belfrager, stop.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #6
:)
You're a nice Hall mjmsprt40. Unfortunately, I'll have to disconnect you... sorry pal, it happens... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #7
You've done it now Belfrager,

The computer will be feeling blue

Reply #8
This should cheer everybody up!
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuEN5TjYRCE[/video]

Reply #9
This is a nightmare... Hall "sings"....
A matter of attitude.

Reply #11
And to those who say half the Internet will die I say kill it with fire. ;)