Skip to main content

Poll

Do you do gaming?

I hunt and sometimes...
[ 0 ] (0%)
Only board games...
[ 0 ] (0%)
I prefer plain-air ones - hockey, hide&seek...
[ 0 ] (0%)
Cell-phone, play-station...
[ 2 ] (22.2%)
(For the cats) Computer... Damn computer!:awww:
[ 5 ] (55.6%)
Beer?
[ 2 ] (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: Video Games (Read 13168 times)

Video Games

For one, I bore myself by some shooting on a cell-phone. But what I like is certain 'action' browser games on my nettop.
What's nice with browser games, is that they don't need downloading. I mean as files, apps onto the machine, and...
Well, maybe I just feel "connected" this way?;)

Re: Video Games

Reply #1
My favorite genre is probably adventure games. If you're not familiar with any, I recommend you play the recent Monkey Island 1 & 2 HD remakes. I also recently (sometime in the past year) obtained and played the Broken Sword Director's Cut.

For boardgames, be sure to check out TableTop (website not currently loading, see direct YouTube link).

Reply #4
I have a Playstation 3.

Favorite games include:

1. NCAA Football (have most every year collected)  (also, sadly, discontinued per a lawsuit against EA)

2. Skyrim  (Best RPG out there, imo)

3. Oblivion (Skyrim's predecessor).

4. Grand Theft Auto series.

Reply #5
ׂ

Reply #6
I'm currently torn about the Humble Sid Meier Bundle. On the one hand it's Civ 3, 4, 5, the Pirates! remake, Ace Patrol, and Railroads!. On the other hand it's on Steam and I may not even be able to play Civ 5.

Reply #7
ׂ

Reply #8
They change the installer, add new filler content like soundtracks or wallpapers, wrap the game into an emulation layer or add improved resolution mods.

Is it necessarily new content? I own several games of which the soundtrack  comes in audio CD form—as in, it's part CD-ROM, part audio CD. That means you could always play it with your CD player, and for an Internet release I'd argue it'd decrease the value of the package if it didn't come with rips of such soundtracks. It was also not unusual for games to come with wallpapers or images suitable for wallpaper use, albeit probably in 1024*768 and not in 1900*1200.

As a result, the release no longer allows to travel back the memory lane; because the new product is incompatible with old computers where the game was originally played on, and is a kind of distorted image of the real thing, mixing old and new.

But what about people who haven't experienced it yet? :) Btw, in this case the Monkey Island updates might be a terrific example: you can seamlessly switch between old and new at any time.

Reply #9

For one, I bore myself by some shooting on a cell-phone. But what I like is certain 'action' browser games on my nettop.
What's nice with browser games, is that they don't need downloading. I mean as files, apps onto the machine, and...
Well, maybe I just feel "connected" this way?;)

My son has gotten me addicted to playing Clash of the Clans on my phone. :)

Reply #10
I wonder what Interstate '76 would look like at high-res. I played it in something like 640*480 at the time. I'm thinking the cars might look fairly decent, but the terrain not so much.

Reply #12
We are apart of the same clan. He's technically ahead of me simply because he's been playing it longer than me. I'm catching up.  :D

Reply #13

Reply #15
Been hearing good things about Max Payne 3. Can anyone confirm or deny?
(I own Max Payne and Max Payne 2; the original is my favorite.)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3dTXtrRI8c[/video]

Reply #16
ׂ

Reply #17
Computer opponents cheat a lot as common in this genre...
It varies. (I even wanted to set a special topic for racing games.)
In Free Gear, the opponents *ucking move through the border posts -- while my car slows down by those drastically. In Formula Racer, they can also seem to touch the "hedges" every now and then - when my car gets "crushed" about them. And in both games the opponents don't seem to stay behind at all - it, however, depends on the level (Race, in our case).

Reply #18
The GOOD example is "toy cars" racing - Offroaders and Grand Prix Go: there are IMPENETRABLE border decks there, and the opponents just can not "cheat".

Reply #19
When searching for racing games, I came across that "Need for Speed" now and then - but it seemed to require some getting an account or such sort of stuff. ???

Reply #21
Who knows - who makes video games which are free and how do they do that? I mean don't they have to make their living???

Reply #22
ׂ