Skip to main content
Topic: Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner and the ridiculousness of religion to cope.  (Read 34657 times)

Re: Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner and the ridiculousness of religion to cope.

Reply #50
I haven't found the verb "tolerate" in this thread. Whom are you referring to?

Reply #51
He must be referring to himself in plural.

Reply #52
Even though I heard that Russian TV managed to live-broadcast the latest Eurovision so that Conchita didn't appear, or almost.

Eh eh, brilliant... it surely drives mad our pro gay/transsexual/whatever friends.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #53
Eh eh, brilliant... it surely drives mad our pro gay/transsexual/whatever friends.

I am not hearing this here, I am tired and must be dreaming.  Belfrager....never mind.   :knight:  :cheers:

Edit: You go for this Eric? 
James J

Reply #54
From someone who was an early-adopter of straight talk about twisted subjects:
Women are inexorably different from men and childbirth is a miracle. You can’t buy womanhood from a surgeon. It can’t be acquired. You can be an incredibly feminine homosexual. You can even wear a dress. If you think you’re anything but a gay man in a dress, you’re a mentally ill gay man in a dress. Men are different. They have evolved to be better providers. They’re physically stronger. You can be a butch lesbian. You can even wear a strap-on, but you’ll never be a man. To deny these basic natural truths isn’t progressive. It’s “a state of mind that prevents normal perception,” which is the very definition of insane.
(source)

And the presumption that "happiness" is what matters most is juvenile… Don'tcha know? :) I don't care what Bruce Jenner does. (It's unlikely that I'll ever watch his "reality tv" show; or watch or read his interviews.) But I am slightly miffed by such promotions, which will —you too should know this, James— mislead some adolescents down some very dark paths…
But why should anyone care? I suppose that's the real question, the nub of our disagreement.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #55

I am not hearing this here, I am tired and must be dreaming.  Belfrager....never mind.   :knight:  :cheers:

Edit: You go for this Eric?

Go for what? (I agree, you are tired and must be dreaming.)

Belfrager was replying to something I said about Eurovision. Eurovision is a (primarily) European thing. It has Euro in it, this should have given you a clue.

In turn, I (and I'm quite sure Belfrager too) never heard about this Bruce Jenner mentioned in your title and I have nothing to say about him. I have a fairly clear stance about LGBT-etc. people and your Bruce is totally ordinary in these terms. You'd better check out Conchita, it might brighten up your world.

Reply #56
Things I've heard enough about:
1. Putin
2. Bruce&Caitlyn
3. The Kardashians
=================
Things I've not heard enough about:
1. The new crop of fresh tomatoes
2. The new push-up bras at Victoria's Secret

Reply #57
Jimbro-- This one's for you.

What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #58
I wonder what kind of bra the Cardassian wears.

If a large Kardashian slammed into the Earth...

Reply #61
I have a fairly clear stance about LGBT-etc.

In 100 words or less, what is your stance...just curious.   :knight:  ???
James J

Reply #63
Since the "science" that posits sexual orientation as an innate or inborn trait has been mentioned, I'd like those who've read papers that purport to give evidence for such something to consider:
[…] while trying to explain that no statistical model or test is necessary when looking at time series to discover whether there was a “trend”, I hit upon the following simplification.

I don’t have the facilities [here], so draw for yourself a standard x-y plot, with x the time and y the measure of interest, say temperature. At some early time point, place a dot for the first “temperature”. And at some later point, place a second dot higher than the first.

Now I ask you: was there a trend in the data?

This question causes distress in anybody who has had classical statistic training. They want to answer, but feel—and I do mean feel, not think—they cannot. The objections will be “There’s not enough data to tell” or “I can’t fit a model to that” and the like.

It is very difficult, almost impossible, for people with training in classical statistics to look at data without reflexively wondering what model “best explains” the data. This is why classical statistics, especially hypothesis testing, has to go. [a comment that reading the whole post would make plain :) : Put it in the same place as the Hotel’s “art.”]

Firstly, the probability models in the classical quiver do not say word one about what caused the data. If we knew what caused the data, we would not need probability models. We would just point to the cause! Probability models are used in the absence of knowledge of cause. And they should never be used to say what happened.

Let me repeat that, and let me shout it: probability models should never be used to say what happened. We can simply look at the data and it can tell us what happened.

So why does everybody think “fitting” a, say, straight line to time series data think that straight line explains the data? Well, that’s what they’re taught. Sort of. The concept of causality is vague in probability and statistics. So vague that people are allowed to take away from any analysis whatever they want.

This is why hypothesis testing is so toxic. Once a wee p-value is spotted, “randomness” or “chance” are rejected as causes and whatever other idea the researcher had in mind is said to be the cause. This is wrong in every possible way. Randomness and chance are never causes, and to assume a cause is not a proof this was the sole correct cause.

Secondly, the answer to our question is: there is no way to tell because there is no definition of trend.

We’ve talked about this many times. Trend is analogical. My idea of the word might not match yours. Thus in order to say whether there is a “trend”, we need a definition. If that is “any increase” then, yes, unambiguously, there was a trend. If the definition is “at least three increased in a row”, then there was no trend.
(source)
With that info in mind, James, I'd say that sexual orientation is a concept in search of a justification… And that the "scientific" evidence offered (so far?) is just bad statistics.
—————————————————————————————————————
On a personal note, James: You've targeted religious organizations (and, presumably, individuals) for your bigoted animosity. Might I suggest you recognize an age old cause: You've got a "hair across your ass"… :)
进行 ...

Reply #64
With that info in mind, James, I'd say that sexual orientation is a concept in search of a justification… And that the "scientific" evidence offered (so far?) is just bad statistics.

Would you say the same thing if you were gay?  Or can't you see that far? 

It is quite plain that what you, ersi and others abhor--is change.  You fear it and even dread it.  Rather than try to understand what the make up of our society really is, so perhaps we can get along better through that understanding, you want to keep the status quo.  Ersi says he doesn't hate queers, so I'm sure he doesn't hate 'niggers' either, or spics or wops or guineas, or kikes.  He knows 'queer' is a slur, so please don't defend him.  As social beings we stink, bees do better than us. 

You Oak, use what science doesn't know yet to defend your attitude toward these people--how rational is that?  Bad statistics before the truth is discovered, is the norm in science.  You don't have a beef with science, you are just trying to justify your ugly feelings in your own mind.  Have another drink, it's much easier than looking up silly quotes to back your prejudices.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #65
Ersi says he doesn't hate queers, so I'm sure he doesn't hate 'niggers' either, or spics or wops or guineas, or kikes.  He knows 'queer' is a slur, so please don't defend him.
Of course you're sure he "doesn't hate 'niggers either, or spics or wops or guineas, or kikes. By which you mean, he does… And you know and use all the "old" terms too.
Why are you sure? :)
I will defend him, because he speaks to sensible concerns about a society that you don't care about.

You're a hedonist or a narcissist… Would you argue such positions, philosophically? :)
(I doubt it.)

BTW: You're understanding of statistical reasoning is deficient. (Yes, ersi, I suspect our language differences makes us seem to disagree… But I could be wrong! :) ) I doubt, James, that all or even most engineers are so burdened as you: Hedonism and narcissism, what have these to do with engineering?
进行 ...

Reply #66

It is quite plain that what you, ersi and others abhor--is change.  You fear it and even dread it.  Rather than try to understand what the make up of our society really is, so perhaps we can get along better through that understanding, you want to keep the status quo. 

As my posts should have made clear, I am not afraid to analyse and judge change. Change for change's sake is as pointless as status quo for status quo's sake. If there's evidence that change will make things better, let's have it. But you are notably devoid of evidence. Anyway, all evidence about the LGBT movement points to the worst case scenario - annihilation of the concept of marriage, which started already with previous unabashed decadent movements.

It may surprise you that, given the statistics in my own country, I think it makes sense to do away with the concept of marriage here. When more than half of children are born outside marriage, it demonstrates that marriage is socially meaningless, and in my opinion it doesn't make sense to carry on with a meaningless concept in law. How's this for change? On the very same grounds, I argue against any rights for gays, pedophiles, and whatever - such rights would at best be meaningless, but more directly they are a mockery of the concept of rights.

Moreover, some of those groups are better considered criminals, really, for corrupting the youth. If "corrupting the youth" sounds meaningless to you, then it's better for you to not speak of rights and tolerance, because it's evident that you hate youth and you don't give a damn about youth's rights.

Ersi says he doesn't hate queers, so I'm sure he doesn't hate 'niggers' either, or spics or wops or guineas, or kikes.  He knows 'queer' is a slur, so please don't defend him.  As social beings we stink, bees do better than us. 

As Oakdale correctly noticed, you are implying here that I actually hate them all. Some people indeed work hard to deserve hate, yes, and LGBT movement is among them, but still, I don't argue from hatred. I argue from the point of view of common sense and of social continuity.

I don't hate even criminals in the way you imply. It's objectively factual that correction facilities are the best place for them, and it's better for everybody else too when criminals are kept where they belong. Try to argue against this. Similarly, all marginal groups have their correct marginal places.

(Yes, ersi, I suspect our language differences makes us seem to disagree… But I could be wrong! :) )

And wrong you are. It's not just language differences. I gave a read to your quoted criticism of "classical statistic training" and it bears no resemblance at all to the statistics courses that I have been through. Nobody taught me to believe that probability models imply causality. I was carefully taught that (purely statistically) correlating trends may turn out to be sheer coincidence - statistical models are radically distinct from cognition, physics, and metaphysics.* Sad when your schooling has been all wrong, but this doesn't mean everybody else's schooling is also wrong. It may very well be that you are extraordinary in this area.

* This is how I know that all financial analysts here are lying and they know it. They were taught to handle statistics correctly. Then along came Friedmannian schooling and those who agreed to give up the correct basics became financial analysts and economic advisors.

Reply #67
It may surprise you that, given the statistics in my own country, I think it makes sense to do away with the concept of marriage here. When more than half of children are born outside marriage, it demonstrates that marriage is socially meaningless, and in my opinion it doesn't make sense to carry on with a meaningless concept in law.

I think those statistics are about the same all over the western world, here, there, everywhere. Is that a symptom of the meaningless of marriage or is that the demonstration of a clear and orchestrated campaign to void marriage from its social meaning? The multitudinous masses are lead to wherever we want them to go, that's a classic, they go nowhere by themselves. Those statistics reflects exactly that.

Law must, in the first place, protect the unity of the People and to maintain the continuity of the Nation along generations,  beyond the limitedness and selfish views of the individuals.
With this in mind, it turns clear what the architects of the pro gay movements wants to achieve. Their activists are just useful idiots for the final objective.

Same goes for the rest of "modern culture" movements.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #68

I think those statistics are about the same all over the western world, here, there, everywhere. Is that a symptom of the meaningless of marriage or is that the demonstration of a clear and orchestrated campaign to void marriage from its social meaning?

Now, let's pause here. I think it's both. There's a campaign, but it's not merely orchestrated. It coincides with a general social trend. If it were merely orchestrated or imposed, there would be a contrary social undercurrent.

Now, the LGBT "marriage rights" campaign is indeed an orchestrated and imposed campaign - and there's a clearly perceptible corresponding widespread social undercurrent opposing it. But I maintain that the "loss of faith" in marriage as a legal concept and as a social requirement in general began long before this. To me it seems the culture of rape, wartime romance and prostitution during the world wars started the trend. The "sexual liberation" of the 60's and later feminism accelerated it and the LGBT campaign can now conveniently ride on this.

Law must, in the first place, protect the unity of the People and to maintain the continuity of the Nation along generations,  beyond the limitedness and selfish views of the individuals.

I agree. The question is, what to legislate and how so that the unity and continuity would indeed be maintained.

There's an important difference between Catholic and Protestant countries in terms of marriage. In Catholic countries, there's a civil registration service separate from the church thingie - the civil registration you must have in order to be considered married, whereas the church thingie you may have in addition. Not so in Protestant countries, where the church can represent the state in this matter. Should one want a churchly ceremony, the priest will do it on behalf of the state and a separate civil registration is not needed.

Now, either way, registrations of marriage are on decline. The only ones asking for it are gays (because marriage is cute, dresses and all that, like on parade). There's no attraction in it for the bulk of the people, no legal or social or monetary incentive. What do you suggest to amend this?

When the parliament thinks it's possible to legislate marriage so that all meaning is taken out of it (as in gay marriage laws), then it's time to consider the option of omitting marriage from laws altogether, just like royal and noble titles were omitted when they became meaningless. To me it seems a better option to drop the concept than trying to keep it in laws while facing its general unpopularity and having to fight the silly re-definers at the same time.

Reply #69
I agree with you ersi that the diminution of legal marriages amongst the heterosexual population and LGBT campaigns are not exactly the same thing and must be treated separately.
What I defend is that there's an attack on the role of traditional marriage and LGBT movements are already a by product of that attack.

As you well said, "There's no attraction in it for the bulk of the people, no legal or social or monetary incentive.". That's a deliberate policy going on against it to void it of meaning and that created the LGBT appearing and all the unbelievable time of media and  constant propaganda that it's offered to them. Offered by who and why? What for?

Family constitutes the most important cell, the basis, the nucleus of human societies. To whom serves to destroy it?
Very honestly I start doubting that we are still governed by humans.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #70
I will defend him, because he speaks to sensible concerns about a society that you don't care about.

The perpetuation of this type of bigotry is what I see.  Whether you wish to call it intellectual analysis of our society or some other nicety, it is still hate.  Did either of you have a bad personal experience with LGBTs or is this all just left over from the schoolyard playground blustering?  I can understand young boys who are just feeling their testosterone posturing in such a way against gays in order to assert their new found masculinity, but what's up with you guys?  

Change for change's sake is as pointless asr status quo's sake.

Nature has been doing this for billions of years and it worked out pretty well for you, I would say.  It's called evolution and there is evolution in social order as well--you seem to wish to impede that. 

Anyway, all evidence about the LGBT movement points to the worst case scenario - annihilation of the concept of marriage[...]

You trying to vie for Belfrager's position of top-conspiracy-theory-nut on DnD? 

I argue against any rights for gays, pedophiles, and whatever - such rights would at best be meaningless, but more directly they are a mockery of the concept of rights.

Moreover, some of those groups are better considered criminals, really, for corrupting the youth.

Your contempt overfloweth in this ridiculous and hateful attempt to equate gays with pedophiles.  Homosexuality is not contagious, you are simply homophobic--not to worry--people have all kinds of phobias. 

Some people indeed work hard to deserve hate, yes, and LGBT movement is among them, but still, I don't argue from hatred. I argue from the point of view of common sense and of social continuity.

The last thing you use in your arguement is common sense and social continuity=status quo...see that?  LBGTs simply want recognition as human beings (instead of monsters), that's all--they don't want any part of you...especially you.   

I don't hate even criminals in the way you imply. It's objectively factual that correction facilities are the best place for them, and it's better for everybody else too when criminals are kept where they belong. Try to argue against this. Similarly, all marginal groups have their correct marginal places.

This may be the the most contemptible thing ever said here.  Would you like to see them exiled to a place like Elba or the South Pole?  The latter I'm sure.  If your heart truly bleeds for the innocence of youth, then people like you should stop projecting your bigotry onto the young who commit so many of the hate crimes against innocent minorities--you perpetuate hate on your one and only planet sir!  You are blinded by your inability to see all human beings as equal on this earth.  Moreover, you want to believe that you are better than some humans--but I can tell you right now Eric (and Oak and a few others), you ain't better than anybody.  :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #71

I argue against any rights for gays, pedophiles, and whatever - such rights would at best be meaningless, but more directly they are a mockery of the concept of rights.

Moreover, some of those groups are better considered criminals, really, for corrupting the youth.

Your contempt overfloweth in this ridiculous and hateful attempt to equate gays with pedophiles.  Homosexuality is not contagious, you are simply homophobic--not to worry--people have all kinds of phobias. 

Such as your pedophilophobia?

In other threads you keep talking about scientific evidence, while scientific evidence is conspicuously missing in this thread. You should show by whatever means possible that gays and pedophiles are somehow different enough so they cannot be mixed up. The gay rights movement would very much appreciate it if you manage to make such a point. Until then, try to deny these cases of pedophiliac abuse from leaders of LGBT movement in Sweden
http://mobil.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/rfsl-ledare-domd-for-sexbrott/
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=128&artikel=6104534

LBGTs simply want recognition as human beings (instead of monsters), that's all--they don't want any part of you...especially you.

They already have recognition as human beings. Even criminals are recognised as human beings in Europe (less so in United States, but let's not go there, it would be too embarrassing for you), so this is not what LGBT people are asking. They are asking for "right to marriage" which doesn't make sense.

Consider this. It's generally thought that ancient Greece and Rome were very gay-friendly. It's assumed that pretty much every man went through a pedophilia (!!!) phase before marriage. It's assumed it was seen as culturally permissible, perhaps even encouraged. On the other hand, nobody in ancient Greece or Rome ever asked for right to get married to their homosexual partner. Why? Any way you look at it, it doesn't make sense, that's why. Marriage never was any sort of general right. It's a contract between two families, i.e. the parents of the partners always had to accept it, and it was meant to create another family, the minimal socio-biological unit just like the ones where the partners came from. Therefore, by definition, it's not for homosexuals.

There may have been weird things going on in ancient Greece and Rome, but they certainly knew what makes sense and what doesn't.

Reply #72
The perpetuation of this type of bigotry is what I see.
Oddly enough, that's what I see too: on your part! :)

But I think I see why you don't believe in free will… (Of course, you do believe in it — for everyone you disagree with!)
进行 ...

Reply #73

Whether you wish to call it intellectual analysis of our society or some other nicety, it is still hate.

Hate?! What exactly are you talking about?

you are simply homophobic--not to worry--people have all kinds of phobias. 

So, what's the problem?

LBGTs simply want recognition as human beings (instead of monsters), that's all

Monsters?! What, for heaven's sake, are you talking about?

You are blinded by your inability to see all human beings as equal on this earth.

Or equally unequal. Whatever, I fail to see anything resembling hate in this thread, and all I see so far are vague accusations from your part against some imaginary entity, and bigotry is all by your side. I wish you could be more specific.

Reply #74
So-- what have we learned today, kiddies?

Well--- we learned that refusal to bow down and worship Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner because he/she/it got a mangina is a sign that you're homophobic. Same thing applies if we reverse the thing and a woman who wants to be a man gets an adadicktome. Bow down and worship or be homophobic.

So-- I reckon that by the "new math" of LBGTALPHABETSOUP I am homophobic because I won't accept as heroes the practitioners of every aberration that comes along. Being a celebrity and getting an operation to make you what you are not doesn't change the thing. Rather than being a hero, Frankenstein's Monster comes to mind.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!