Skip to main content
Topic: What have you just bought? (Read 62735 times)

Re: What have you just bought?

Reply #175
This one.

The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #177
Weird! it shows fine here. Yes it's a black but it's a pork pie hat and not the style of the one you posted.

Can you see it now as a jpeg rather than a png image?

The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #178
Yup that was weird. Both pictures show up on my tablet but not on my cellphone. Must be a mobile issue. :sherlock:

Reply #179
Must be a mobile issue.  :sherlock:
:up:

Reply #180
Gillette Mach3 Turbo.

Reply #181
I like those, but I've switched to the much cheaper Aldi brand.

Reply #182
I like those, but I've switched to the much cheaper Aldi brand.
I've never heard of Aldi. I guess that brand doesn't exist in USA or at least not here in Minnesota :sherlock:

Reply #183
I've been to one Aldi store in the US. It was very odd. But you have Aldi North, we have South. Aldi owns Trader Joe's, btw.

Aldi used to be junk, but they have good produce and eggs nowadays. At least over here. I especially go there for bio eggs, herring, redcurrants and strawberries at an amazing price point. They even have some raw milk Comté. Also their asparagus is way cheaper than elsewhere in spring.

Nuts are better at Lidl overall, but for proper Belgian walnuts you need to visit the market in season. Delhaize sells good French walnuts. Lidl and AH sell inferior Californian walnuts only. Aldi only sells deshelled nuts.

Reply #184
Automatic rice cooker.

Reply #185
I've been to one Aldi store in the US. It was very odd.
Indeed. There's one in Johnson City, not far from here. Looks almost like it was displaced from .de - odd store brands, everything in display boxes, very few visible employees. Also lots of imported german stuff.

Reply #186
Another 4GB RAM for my Sun Blade 2500. It needs registered DDR1 DIMMs that can handle at least 266MHz, with ECC. In other words, server memory. Apparently demand for this particular type has died down so there's plenty on ebay for cheap.
Well, cheap as long as you don't go around looking for 'Sun' in the item description.
Oddly, I've seen only 1GB modules. The machine can take at least 2GB ones, in pairs, up to 8GB per CPU. But that's the documented maximum, if they're anything like, for example, Apple, that's the maximum they actually had hardware to test with but designed it for whatever the standard allows ( examples for that - my 1st generation beige G3 supposedly takes up to 128MB modules. 256MB ones Just Work. iBook G4, supposedly takes modules up to 512MB. A 1GB one Just Works. And my PowerBook G3 has 1GB RAM even though it supposedly maxes out at 512MB. And so on. )
Either way, 8GB will do for the time being.

Reply #187
Wireless mouse for my laptop. No more tangled cords. :yes:

Reply #188
19 kilos of books at €2/kilo. Two thesauri (Dutch one I wanted & a French Larousse one that happened to be there), collected plays of Vondel, collected poetry of Gaston Burssens, a Duden German dictionary I wanted but couldn't justify the cost, a somewhat random 1920s Frnech novel and a few other books.

All in all a very good haul for my collection of reference works.

Reply #189
19 kilos of books at €2/kilo.
I don't buy for kilos, I buy for unit. All the best "crime literature" authors for 50 cents (euros) each book.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #190
The university library sale is the only one I'm aware of that sells books by the kilo. That and the heritage library sale (€1 or €2 for most books) is by far the best source for high-quality books on the cheap. They only happen very infrequently.

But I came here to say that in the nearby future I will have bought this book that came out on December 10: http://www.neerlandistiek.nl/2016/12/echte-literatuur-bedrijven-deed-je-in-de-18e-eeuw-niet-in-het-nederlands/

Reply #192
I've got a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X coupled with a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite myself, since March 2016. It's good equipment.

Reply #193
A Multimeter. My last one packed in and I've only had it for 30 years.  :(

Reply #194
I hope it's a good one! :)

Reply #195
I hope it's a good one!  :)
Good enough for my needs. A digital one rather than the analogue one I used to have, it even lights up.  :D

Reply #196
A new coffee maker on sale for only $12. :)

Reply #197
Parsley and chives. Trying to cook some home-made soup.

Reply #198
A $23 headphones on sale for $13. I got tired of using tiny earphones :P

Reply #199
A new electric shaver.