Skip to main content
Topic: Mac OS X Packages (Read 6442 times)

Mac OS X Packages

Hello,

First of all I must say I'am very impressed with this project. Finally there is a browser to fill the gap that old Opera has left. Thanks for everyone who makes this project happen.

Second I see that there is no Mac specific packages right now, you must compile from source code to use it and that is a big disadvantage for most of the users. So I decided to contribute to comminity and make Mac OS X packages for fellow Mac users and of course myself :)

Now my question is who should I send them and how? I have packages from Beta 5 to Beta 6 and I have uploaded all of them to Dropbox. I'am waiting for guidance :)

Re: Mac OS X Packages

Reply #1
That would be nice, I was looking for long time to find packager for Mac. ;-)
https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=218.msg32635#msg32635

I guess that for now you could link them on this page, in Unofficial section:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/wiki/Packages

We can later discuss promoting them to official ones, hosted on sf.net. :-)

BTW, which method are you using to create packages?
Recently there were some changes in CMakeLists.txt to improve that variant a bit plus some fixes for the UI itself.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
How can I put links to this page? Should I send you the links?

I am using Qt Creator and its packaging tool macdeployqt for making distributable application packages. I know that you prefer CMake and this was my first choice but I couldn't find an easy way to make packages with CPack. It is complicated and problematic with Mac applications. At least not easy as macdeployqt :-)

Is using Qt Creator instead of CMake okay for distributable packages? Should I look for ways to use CMake and CPack?

Reply #3
@BugraK, editing requires a github account, I can add link myself if you don't want to register yet.
macdeployqt might be good enough for now but I'm not sure if it's able to support all of the features available in CPack generators.
I've started investigating packaging procedures for Mac recently but so far I haven't found a complete recipe to generate .dmg yet, but it appears to be doable.

Reply #4
Okay now I posted the Dropbox folder link to the unoffical packages page.

It sure appears doable but it looks a lot more complicated than macdeployqt. But from now on I am going to investigate a way to make Mac application bundles with CMake and CPack. I hope I can succeed :)

Also I have couple of Mac specific issues with Otter. Is this the place for talking them or should I fill bug report on GitHub or SourceForge?

Reply #5
@BugraK, thanks. :-)

I've did some more searching and now I've found this:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/14292554

About issues, sure, I've seen that there will be a lot of work needed to make it look properly.
I've already fixed some of the issues in master, especially odd behavior of tab bar.
Feel free to create new ticket listing the issues (one should be enough).

BTW, I guess that you should add some comment here:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/622

Previous packager didn't have enough time to finish his work, he faced issues with bundling, maybe due to something being broken while compiling Qt.
Are you using Qt from SDK or custom build?

Reply #6
I'm using SDK. Is building myself more preferable?

Now I have installed CMake using Homebrew and I will experiment with it. But I have a question: How am I going to use that script?  I have no programming experience so I don't know what to do and I need assistance :) Am I going to paste that script into a text file and name it CPackConfig.cmake?

Also now I wrote comment that GitHub page.

Reply #7
@BugraK, I guess that SDK is the best option for now, recompiling from scratch would take a lot of time and AFAIK won't give any visible advantage.
Don't worry, I can try to prepare patch for our CMakeLists.txt, most likely not in time for next weekly, I'll let you know in that ticket when it will be ready.

Reply #8
Finally I can test Otter in my Mac  :cheers:

Thanks

Reply #9
Sorry about the delay. I have been busy for some time. But good news is I have finally managed to build Otter with CMake and packaged with macdeployqt. Everything seems fine now, but I am not sure that using macdeployqt instead of CPack would make any difference. Also I have compiled Qt 5.5 RC with -openssl-linked option so that weekly 77 and 78 are using the latest OpenSSL 1.0.2c not the outdated one inside the Mac OS X.

Also I recently noticed that with 5.5 release Qt can be able to use Mac OS X native backend instead of OpenSSL. I am thinking about building Qt with this configuration. Thinking that it will become the default option in 5.6 this would be a smart decision, isn’t it?

For Mac OS X 10.7 Lion users I am thinking about building Qt 5.4.2 with updated OpenSSL libraries. I know 5.4.2 is outdated, but I suppose with 5.5 support for 10.7 is dropped. So an outdated package is better than no package :)

@Fotmat C I am glad to see someone except me is using these Mac packages :) Weekly 77 and 78 should resolve your issues with SSL. Let me know if it works. BTW which Mac OS X are you using?

Reply #10
@BugraK, if combining them produces working binary then why not. ;-)
Sadly I didn't have enough time to explore CPack configuration for Mac yet...

Switching to native backend seem to be a good idea.

Reply #11
@BugraK  Thanks for helping OSX users  :up:

BTW which Mac OS X are you using?

I have several flavours Macs :)

I have a MBP with Core Duo still running Mountain Lion, I´ll update in the following weeks (I like the look of this OSX version), have another mac in the office, a Mac Mini late 2013 with i7 that machine runs the latest OSX (10.10.4) and finally have a Hackintosh (Quad-Core 2.4 and runs Mavericks) by the way runs wonderful  :D

I need to install in my hackintosh one of the latest Otter versions to test in this machine, I have the Otter in my office.

I will try with the 78 version.

Thanks again BugraK

Reply #12
@BugraK, I think that .plist file got messed up while adding file type associations, any ideas what went wrong?

Reply #14
@Fotmat C, INI is one of sanest formats propagated by Windows. :-D
If you have access to QtCreator then please check if it's reproducible using this:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/test-qtwebkit

Reply #15
Hello:

Where can Mac users can download the last version?

Because in the Github only see the Windowzse versions and the Dropbox version don´t know if it´s the latest.

Regards

Reply #16
@Fotmat C, apparently there were no new packages for two months, we might need to find new packager...

Reply #17
Okay I'm back now. And I will try to fill the gap. Sorry for the inconvenience.

@Emdek I can't understand the problem about .plist file. Can you be more specific?

BTW thanks for your efforts :)

Reply #18
@BugraK, good to hear that you are back. :-)

@Emdek I can't understand the problem about .plist file. Can you be more specific?

AFAIR custom icon is no longer shown until application starts and maybe some other issues (icon is the most visible one).

Reply #19
I have encountered same problem as you, but I think it's more about Finder cache and probably Qt applications in general, not specifically Otter. Because after first launch custom icon shows normal every time. Also if problem is about some .plist error, custom icon should never be visible.

There is other problems specific to Mac OS X. One of the big ones is when you cycle through tabs with keyboard shortcut tab list doesn't show, but when you do this with mouse gestures you can see the tab list. Also you can't use Meta (Control) key in custom keyboard shortcuts. You can set it, but it doesn't work. IDK if there is something you can do about it.

Also other question is should I include QtWebEngine? Seems like you don't include QtWebEngine packages for a couple of weeks. Is there some problem?

Reply #20
@BugraK, I would need to run tests again, but AFAIR it worked correctly before that change, but maybe there was another reason for that change (I've reinstalled VM around that time with new Qt version etc.).
Also it could be a good idea to check it using standalone mini test case.

There is other problems specific to Mac OS X. One of the big ones is when you cycle through tabs with keyboard shortcut tab list doesn't show, but when you do this with mouse gestures you can see the tab list. Also you can't use Meta (Control) key in custom keyboard shortcuts. You can set it, but it doesn't work. IDK if there is something you can do about it.

Uhm, this one might be hard to debug for me, as Control seems to be not mapped to Command in ViirtualBox...

Also other question is should I include QtWebEngine? Seems like you don't include QtWebEngine packages for a couple of weeks. Is there some problem?

Currently it's broken and probably it will remain in that state until Qt 5.6 beta, as that version will introduce some new APIs which will allow to make it more usable.

Reply #21
Okay then I won't use QtWebEngine either.

Uhm, this one might be hard to debug for me, as Control seems to be not mapped to Command in ViirtualBox...

As you know there are two modifier keys on Mac OS X. One is Command which corresponds to Ctrl in Windows or Linux. The other one is Control which corresponds to Meta or Windows key. There is no problem with Command, it works as Ctrl in shortcuts. But when you set something to Meta, Control key on Mac doesn't do anything.

Alright then, I am going to make packages despite the icon problems if you don't have any objections :)

Reply #22
@BugraK, that could be upstream issue, I see that there are some issues with these keys, like this one:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-45453

It seems that I've managed to finally workaround annoying Windows specific crash so I might find some time to debug that icon issue soon. ;-)