Skip to main content

Poll

Why The DnD Sanctuary?    Were you on the MyOPERA Forum, or any other Forum?

I Was a Member of MyOPERA
[ 18 ] (30.5%)
I've come here because the MyOPERA Forums closed March 1, 2014
[ 13 ] (22%)
I came here because I heard that people here are fun & friendly.
[ 7 ] (11.9%)
I'm a NEWBIE - I Never belonged to a Forum Before
[ 0 ] (0%)
I Was a Member of another Forum, but it became boring, so I needed something new.
[ 4 ] (6.8%)
I like the Idea of a Forum run by the users rather than a Corporation or an ex-CEO
[ 9 ] (15.3%)
Somebody said you guys give away free beer......well?
[ 8 ] (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Topic: New Member's Welcome -- Kindly Introduce Yourself Here (Read 21337 times)

New Member's Welcome -- Kindly Introduce Yourself Here

Welcome to   [glow=green,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary[/glow]    where you can join in & discuss issues on just about any subject you wish.

Feel free to let us know a little about yourself, & something about the things you like to talk about.

Need help getting started in your new digs -- just ask & someone will surely get you off in the right direction.

Here at   [glow=green,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary[/glow]    the Forum Administrators are great guys who are not beholden to any Corporate Brand(s) or
any Corporate Objectives like on other Forums.   

Providing you the User a genuinely enjoyable & fun place to discuss the issues of the day, without all the usual corporate hassles, are their main focus & primary objective.

[glow=green,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary[/glow]     is truly a Forum by the Users, for the Users.  

So again, Welcome to [glow=green,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary[/glow]   

Re: New Member's Welcome -- Kindly Introduce Yourself Here

Reply #1
My name is James, I am an Opera refugee, I like discussing philosophy with a bit of a waggish point of view.  I don't believe in deities, but some others should.  I don't believe in the supernatural, paranormal, metaphysical, psychic, mystic, spectral or magical realms, although we can talk about it.  I am a sports fanatic, having played football for UCLA about the same time as O.J. Simpson (although I ultimately chose a different path than OJ).  I love a good joke and have a realistic, though quite whimsical outlook on life.  I am a materialist in that I believe consciousness, thought, feeling, mind, and will can be explained in terms of matter and physical phenomena (easy breezy).  I have healthy emotions and I won't always hold them in.  I can often argue either side of a debate very convincingly.  I love frequent sex in my 60s with younger women and love to discuss serious sexual topics.  I love, love psychology simply because it explains why people do what they do and I understand more about the people I am close to, whether they be family or cyber-friends or something in between.  And finally, I am very family oriented with 3 marvelous children of my own, 3 grand kids, 3 siblings and tons of cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, etc. 

James J

Reply #2
Welcome aboard James!

I can see that there will be plenty of contestable topics for you can sink yer teeth into.

The mods are here to help & guide you, rather than whipping you into their molds of acceptability.

One way or another, you will surely be treated with the respect you deserve.

Have fun & happy posting!!!

Reply #3
I think I might've accidentally deleted Smiley's message while cleaning up this topic (for he is right):

If we have but one (1) pure thread that stays to topic, it should be this one IMHO.

I think there are enough threads in this forum to hijack at your pleasure that we shouldn't need to resort to hijacking this one ......

This thread is for newcomers -- to welcome prospective long term members.

So, might I suggest opening a new thread if need be, & honor my respectfull request that in here we stay on -- as close as possible -- on topic.......Welcoming newcomers, & showing them we work together in  [glow=green,2,300]DnD[/glow].

Thanks

Reply #5
Me kidding!? -  never  >:( 
Hmm at least it would be good to actually write some English once in a while...   :)

Reply #7
Hi i am a MyOpera pensioner who has had more lives than the cat when resident there .
:yes: :cheers:
Chimpsy

Reply #9
Welcome!

Reply #10
[move]Thank  you so much [/move] :up:
Chimpsy

Reply #11
Aboard Chimpsy.
Late I know but better late than never.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #12
[Move]
  [glow=black,2,300]CHIMPSY[/glow]    

[/Move]

Reply #13
Why does no hyperlink box come up for me when trying to link words?   :knight:  :(
James J

Reply #14
Why does no hyperlink box come up for me when trying to link words?

Not aware of any problems and it works here. Do the buttons for Insert image, insert email etc. work?
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #15
James, I see exactly what you mean. If you want ot link on selected text you'd have to do it manually.

All the forum provided button seems to do is surround the text in the url tag --- like this:

{url}selected text{/url}

(Naturally I used the curly brackets rather than the proper ones so I can display it here.)

The forum provided 'Insert Hyperlink' button doesn't provide a popup box to enter a url to connect to any highlighted text you select.

I can't for the life of me remember if it ever did?????....

See, I use FireFox & Pale Moon so I have my own custom buttons I've made to do that,  & I also use a "Text Formatting" toolbar extension that has heaps of formatting buttons for BBcode ---- All of which provide the popup box James speaks of. I cant live without it myself.

The only forum buttons I ever use, & it's extremely rare, I use the  forum provided Bold, Italic, & Font Stuff ---- all of which I really don't need because I have my own buttons that work perfectly, & exactly as I want them.

Reply #16
Looks like this particular feature works better in the rich text edit view. (The button furthest on the right.) Odd.

Reply #17
Ahhhhh....well I knew there had to be a way, but there's still a lil fly in the ointment   
You will need a browser that supports 'RICH TEXT', which my particular Pale Moon Browser I'm using right now, is not, but my FireFox is, & probably most of my other browsers are [glow=green,2,300]  RT  [/glow] capable too.

No problem though, as I noted before I don't use the Forums Provided Formatting ... I use my Browser's own customized Formatting.

EDIT: My Pale Moon Browser  does support  "Rich Text Editing", providing my UserAgent is acceptable to the Forum Software....... If my useragent isn't acceptable the Forum Software sends back a message:

"Your browser does not support Rich Text editing."

But if I change my useragent manually to an acceptable one like Firefox 21.0 I can use Rich Text Editing in the same (this) browser.

Reply #18
Got it to work, thanks guys.  I use chrome most of the time--no problem with RT there. 

James J

Reply #19
But if I change my useragent manually to an acceptable one like Firefox 21.0 I can use Rich Text Editing in the same (this) browser.

Ouch. :( And that's why one should use object detection, not browser detection.

I can probably/hopefully change the way the URL button functions in the regular view easily enough. The rich text view would doubtless be far more problematic.

Reply #20
@Frenzie

I don't think this anomaly merits any concern actually, it was just that James asked & I noticed something that 99.99% of our users probably haven't & won't even realize under normal usage.

As far as myself, it doesn't affect me any at all --- like I say I use my own formatting.

Reply #21
Hiya all,

I too am an Opera refugee, still using Opera 11.52 for the time being. Heard about Otter Browser, so here I am  :happy:

A few of my interests, when there is time, are listening to Jazz (live and recorded), writing image editing plugins, photography, travelling/walking .

Best wishes for 2015,
scriveyn
currently Opera 11.52 / Win XP & Win7

Reply #22
Welcome!

Reply #23
:cheers: Welcome to DnD!

Reply #24
Thanks!

Not sure whether this is the place to ask, but her goes anyway:

For Otter Browser ...
... is there a list of open issues/bugs, so I won't report a well known item again?
...what is the procedure of reporting an issue? Is there a sticky with guidelines for that?

Cheers
currently Opera 11.52 / Win XP & Win7