Skip to main content
Topic: Site problem with Opera and Otter. (Read 11176 times)

Re: Site problem with Opera and Otter.

Reply #25
Cannot reproduce. How did you manage to make it crash?

Just open it... it freezes while loading the page and I had to kill the Otter process in order to get a way out. This happens every time I try it.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #26

Cannot reproduce. How did you manage to make it crash?

Just open it... it freezes while loading the page and I had to kill the Otter process in order to get a way out. This happens every time I try it.

That's not a crash. That's a freeze. And no, I cannot reproduce the freeze either.

I can go to the website and click around just fine. I haven't clicked on any ads though. I did this with a fresh profile, i.e. everything enabled that is enabled out of the box.

I am on a netbook with 1 GB RAM. Otter works okay with that website. I will update Otter in a few days and try again.

Reply #27
Could be related to the version of Qt. The Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release comes with Qt 5.2.

Reply #28
That's not a crash. That's a freeze.

Okay....
Be it whatever it is, I can't use it.
Could be related to the version of Qt. The Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release comes with Qt 5.2.

Don't know if it helps but the version I use it's Ubuntu 15.04 (vivid) and Otter 0.9.07 weekly #83.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #29
Don't know if it helps but the version I use it's Ubuntu 15.04 (vivid) and Otter 0.9.07 weekly #83.

What does it say in "about Qt"? (Under help) I'm guessing 5.4? The website seems to be working okay for me in both 5.3 and 5.5 though, so maybe that's the wrong path to investigate.

Reply #30
Qt version 5.4.1.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #31
My Qt is 5.5.0. Could be the right path to investigate...

Reply #32
@Belfrager, I've checked that site with Qt 5.5.0 and got temporary freeze, it seems that this webpage is simply heavy.
Does it happen after disabling JavaScript globally or for that host?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #33
It doesn't freeze with JavaScript disabled.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #34
@Belfrager, then apparently there was more JS than WebKit could handle...
Hopefully QtWebEngine will become more usable when Qt 5.6 will be ready.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #35
Thank you for the answer and keep the good work. I like your browser.
A matter of attitude.

Key action questions.

Reply #36
Alt keys don't seem to work.  For instance, [Alt f] doesn't bring up the File menu.  In fact, File appears only as File.  None of the menu options display an underlined access letter.  I assume the problem is on my box but I see no appropriate setting.

"Enter" doesn't seem to work with F2 "Go to Page."  F2 works as it brings up "Go to Page."  However, after typing an address, "Enter" has no effect.  Shouldn't "Enter" take me to the address?

Is it still planned to add alpha access keys to the Bookmarks menu?  I really like the feature in Opera.  Unfortunately, recent releases don't seem to have it.

Reply #37
My mistake,  I tagged my key questions on this topic.  I reposted the questions as a new topic.