Skip to main content
Topic: Site problem with Opera and Otter. (Read 11177 times)

Site problem with Opera and Otter.

For about a month I've been unable to access linuxfromscratch.org.  I receive "Connection closed by remote server."  I've visited that site for years with Opera and can still access it with other browsers.

I assumed this to be an Opera problem and reported the site with "Report a Site Problem..." without success.  However, I find I also cannot access linuxfromscratch.org with Otter 0.9.06-dev.  I receive a blank screen only.

I'm posting this not to report a site problem, but to suggest perhaps Otter is carrying over something from Opera it should not.  I assume linuxfromscratch.org made a change not liked by Opera.  However, it apparently doesn't faze other browsers and perhaps Otter should be in that camp.

Re: Site problem with Opera and Otter.

Reply #1
Which browsers work for you with linuxfromscratch.org ? (For me all browsers work, including Otter and old Opera.)

Reply #2
Firefox 37.0.1 on my box and Internet Explorer on a friend's.  I run Linux Opera 12.16.

Perhaps I made an incorrect assumption.  Can others access linuxfromscratch.org with Linux Otter 0.9.06-dev?

Reply #3
@rhubarbpieguy, works for me in both.
Are you using any custom settings, like different UA string etc. for that site or globally?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #4
I'm using no custom settings to my knowledge.  I now assume I must have made some change to Tools/Preferences.  But I made zero changes to my Otter settings.  I simply built Otter with cmake and attempted to access linuxfromscratch.org.

I'm afraid I'm guilty of a badly-thought-out post.  It's just that I assumed it was an Opera problem as Firefox works and when I noticed Otter presented the same situation ...  linuxfromscratch.org is the only site I can't access which is strange.

Reply #5
@rhubarbpieguy, could you please try to reproduce that issue using our minimal test case?
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/test-qtwebkit

Reply #7
@rhubarbpieguy, it's a qmake project, you can use QtCreator or command line, something like:
Code: [Select]
qmake test-qtwebkit.pro
make
./test-qtwebkit

Reply #8
Thank you, it loads after building with qmake, but what/how am I to test?  I assume I'm to attempt loading linuxfromscratch.org, but how?  From the command line?  Using a script?

Reply #9
@rhubarbpieguy, you just need to type full URL (including http://) into text input on the top and press enter.

Reply #10
Is it displaying properly?  I've attached what I see and don't see an input line for a url.

Reply #11
@rhubarbpieguy, almost, it should look more like this:
http://simplest-image-hosting.net/png-0-pt2852

Reply #12
OK, I finally got it and linuxfromscratch.org comes up perfectly with test-qtwebkit.  What does that tell us?  What am I doing wrong with Opera/Otter?

Reply #13
@rhubarbpieguy, this might require more complex debugging, if you have some free time then I would suggest discussing that on our IRC channel tomorrow (today I'm busy with final touches before releasing next beta).

Reply #14
Good news/bad news.  The good news is I can now access linuxfromscratch.org with Opera and Otter.  The bad news is I don't know how I fixed the problem.

I basically reinstalled my OS and programs, which I do periodically anyway.  Both Opera and Otter brought up linuxfromscratch.org straight away.  It seems the problem wasn't with either my Opera or Otter programs or their respective parameters.

That only one site caused me problems makes little sense to me, but what do I know?  I'm tempted to add [SOLVED] to the Subject line but as I don't understand the solution ...  Bottom line, it appears this was a rhubarbpieguy, and not an Otter problem.

Reply #15
@rhubarbpieguy, it's hard to determine now what exactly caused that issue, let me know if it will resurface in future, then we could try to find out what it was. ;-)

Reply #16

@rhubarbpieguy, it's hard to determine now what exactly caused that issue, let me know if it will resurface in future, then we could try to find out what it was. ;-)

Unfortunately, I'm back as the problem has recurred.  It has broadened, as in addition to linuxfromscratch.org, I've been unable to access rolandgarros.com and other sites.  Unfortunately, the problems are sporadic.  I can access those sites at times.

But in every case I've been able to access the problem site with Firefox and test-qtwebkit.  I contacted my ISP with zero success.  So, as the common thread seems to be Opera/Otter, I'm back.

I've done nothing new to my box to my knowledge but obviously can't exclude an error on my part.  I'm still on Linux Opera 12.16 but upgraded to Otter 0.9.06 beta 6.

Reply #17
Blank screen, sporadic character and "Connection closed by remote server" message, points to problems with network connection, probably trace route. Try ask your ISP support.

Opera 12 and Otter internally are completely different, so the problem is outside of them.

Reply #18
That makes sense to me, which is why I mentioned I'd contacted my ISP.

However, it doesn't make sense in that with each instance I immediately check the problem site with Firefox and test-qtwebkit.  The problems occur only with Opera/Otter.

My ISP is treating my connection differently based on my browser?  The problem would be easier if it were consistent, but that's probably what makes it a problem.

Reply #19
@rhubarbpieguy, we can start debugging with something simple, for example checking if changing UA helps, or disabling cookies (you can disable them for that specific site using Website Preferences) and then checking if it works when opened in private tab.

Reply #20

@rhubarbpieguy, we can start debugging with something simple, for example checking if changing UA helps, or disabling cookies (you can disable them for that specific site using Website Preferences) and then checking if it works when opened in private tab.

This is perhaps oppertune as linuxfromscratch.org won't load with Opera as I compose this, but does with Firefox AND Otter.  This the first time I remember that a problem site doesn't work with Opera but does with Otter.

I disable JavaScript globally and enable it on a per site basis only when necessary.  I mark "Accept cookies only from the site I visit" and "Delete new cookies when exiting Opera."  I changed my cookie settings to "Accept cookies" and "Never accept cookies"; reloading each time with no success.  Although a stretch, I also enabled JavaScript for the site without success.

It may still simply be my ISP.  But I contacted them when I had a non-responsive site with Opera but had that site up with Firefox.  They supposedly checked my connection and gave a thumbs up.  When I asked if they were possibly throttling down my speed based on browser they basically said "are not, are not."

I was pleasant in asking the question but was not surprised by their answer.  I'm really at a loss on this one and do appreciate your help.  However, if this isn't Opera/Otter related and you can suggest a more appropriate forum I'll move the question there.

Reply #21
@rhubarbpieguy, have you tried changing UA and private tab (it does a bit more than just disabling cookies ;-))?
You said that it was blank page and not an error page, could you please check source if it is empty (Ctrl+U or action in context menu and View menu)?
I've heard that sometimes QtWebKit fails to render a page.

Reply #22

@rhubarbpieguy, have you tried changing UA and private tab (it does a bit more than just disabling cookies ;-))?
You said that it was blank page and not an error page, could you please check source if it is empty (Ctrl+U or action in context menu and View menu)?
I've heard that sometimes QtWebKit fails to render a page.

Sorry, I missed the private tab earlier.  I'll try private tab and check source next time things act up.  All sites are coming up now without problems.

Reply #23
I don't now if this is the right place to report it, but Otter crashes at www.dn.pt
Maybe it's the website code that is incorrect, I have no idea. (I remember that web standards coding was a problem with the old Opera, there was even a thread just for reporting those sites.)
That website is one of the main newspapers here.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #24

I don't now if this is the right place to report it, but Otter crashes at www.dn.pt
Maybe it's the website code that is incorrect, I have no idea. (I remember that web standards coding was a problem with the old Opera, there was even a thread just for reporting those sites.)
That website is one of the main newspapers here.

Cannot reproduce. How did you manage to make it crash?